watching

july 8th
mathews point of view.

watching someone clean their room has never been so amusing. the way you dance across your room to take an item from one area of your room and move it into another.

your hair is pulled up into the most messy and unorganized bun i've ever seen. you are pulling it off though.

your music is on pause on your phone as you're swiping to answer your facetime call.

i can tell by your facial expressions that it is most likely either your best friend or your boy. you lay on the bed to talk to them.

today, you have on leather leggings and another red crop top... which means i can only assume that your favorite color is red. i believe you follow in your dads footsteps with that one.

your school will be having a football game tonight... the first one that your mother will miss since you started cheer back in first grade.

i can't wait to see you in your cheer uniform tonight. your best friend seems slightly jealous of your position as cheer captain.

where are you going now? the pink 1976 thunderbird you asked for on your sixteenth birthday is impressive. i can tell you like the attention it brings you. you don't care if it's reliable or gets good gas mileage or the price your parents have to pay for the repairs it often needs since it's so old. you just want to be seen. you want to be noticed.

as you sit in the drivers seat, you let your hair out of your bun. you run your fingers through it a few times, trying to make it slightly more tame.

your best friends walk from next door and across the street and get into your car.

your very best friend sits in the passengers seat and the boy from across the street sits in the seat behind hers.

i see the expression on your best friends face... she looks distressed.

maybe it's boy problems... maybe it's as simple as not knowing whether she should take a jacket with her to the game tonight or not.

you pull out of the driveway and head down the street.

i pull out my phone and track the location of your car... you should really learn to lock that.

i get back into my own car and follow the directions you took.

nobu... interesting choice. the three of you got seated at a table and i requested a specific seat in the corner, where i could inauspiciously watch from.

you ordered my favorite dish from nobu. your best friend doing the same.

"guys stop messing around... couch marnie will be pissed because this is practice for comp." you expressed to the annoying teenage girls on the varsity cheer team.

from what i understood, you didn't like the football games as much as you like the competitions.

"we'll be fine. it's not like we have anything to be compared to." one of the other girls on the team said to you.

"from the top." you huffed lightly.

one of the other girls rolled her eyes while the rest of them acted preppy and followed you. the football game was starting in twenty-five minutes and your team was seemingly not getting the second eight count right in the dance.

"okay guys, that's a wrap. go get dressed." you announced after you saw your boyfriend coming this way.

you took a sip out of your water bottle before smiling at him. he sent you a slight smirk.

"hey babe." he smiled to you, grabbing your water bottle out of your hand and hugging you.

"hi." you smiled back, leaning up to kiss him. "you think your team will do good tonight?"you asked him.

"they've got this. i've been preparing them for this game all season. glendale is one of the hardest schools to beat. we're the only two teams who have gone undefeated in california this season." he told you. he was the captain of the football team, i had found out.

"i know you'll do good. get at least one touchdown...for me." you giggled up to him.

"of course... all for you." he told you, taking a sip from your water bottle. "afterwards, i'm taking the team for pizza if you and the girls wanna join."

"yeah, sounds fun." you smiled to him.

"alright babygirl, i have to go. i love you." he smiled, kissing you.

"i love you. good luck." you smiled as he ran back towards the field.

you quickly fixed your pony tail as the other girls approached you from getting their uniforms on.

"ready?" you asked them.

they all responded with yes so you lead the way over to the field.

it was clear that the younger girls looked up to you and the older ones envied you and your position.

"you're doing amazing, baby!" you smiled as your boy ran over to you as you were cheering on the side lines.

"thanks babe. you're doing so good. i love hearing you scream for me." he winked, jokingly.

"babe!" you blushed, play pushing him.

"get back out there and beat their asses for me!" you smiled, hugging him.

he placed a short kiss on your lips, one of your friends recording it. odd.

he tapped your lower back and ran back onto the field.

that was a good game for your team. your team won by two touchdowns. there were six touchdowns that occurred for your team and your boyfriend made three of them. respect.

now, you were sat at a table with your best friend, boyfriend, brother and the rest of your team.

everyone had ordered pizza but you were just sat back in your boyfriends arms. you were listening to the conversation with the occasional input. it was clear to me that you were tired and did not want to be here anymore.

i saw you whisper to your boyfriend and then he nodded. he was the one to announce the two of your departures. you left your brother and your best friend but that's okay since they're together.

oh, violet, you're perfect... just like your mother