Chapter 48 : "it was just a crazy night"

...

sierra dropped me off and then left.

Once I open the door to marjories house, my dad comes rushing down the stairs.

"Elena! Where have you been?"

I lean against the door and close my eyes, "dad chill, it's 8, we can still get to the store"

"No elena, that's-that's," he stutters but then wraps his arms around me.

"Where the hell were you?!" He says when we separate.

"It was just a crazy night"

"Yeah, talk about it. Tell me what happened elena"

I start walking to the kitchen and sit down as my dad comes in after me.

"james hit this boy pretty bad and he ended up getting in a lot of trouble."

He leans on the counter, "but why? I mean, who is this guy?"

"I-I don't know," I lie.

I do know but there's no way about to talk about it with my dad.

"Well go get dressed, we have to be at Sheila's by ten," he tells me, and leaves the room.

I go to "my room" and browse through the outfits to wear. I don't need to get all dressed up but I want to look presentable.

I put on some blue jeans and a white blouse. I tie my hair up in a high ponytail with a red velvet scrunchie.

Every year we go to my aunt sheilas house-from my moms side-for thanksgiving dinner. All of our grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins join. We all gather in their big kitchen and the young ones bake the deserts as the elders cook the meals. We tell jokes and grandpa Ernie plays the piano while singing and we laugh at him as he always says, "we only had classical music back in my day, no Justin Bieber or ariana Grande" but he always plays our favs as we sing along.

...

Me and my dad went to the store to get some ingredients and boxes of food mix. We headed to aunt sheilas to help prepare the food. Marjorie joined us because her family was not in town and our other family members were okay with it.

As we pull up to the big White House, we see others standing outside hugging and greeting. I step out of the car and a girl in a small white dress comes and gives me a huge hug.

I chuckle, "hey sydney," she let's go and smiles.

"I missed you, you never come to visit me anymore!" I shrug.

"Ever since my mom died, it's been kind of hard to see the people who remind me of her"

Sydney nods, "yeah...I get that," and I sigh.

"Well, what did you bring?" She smiles, brightening the mood.

"We brought some stuff for pumpkin pie, marshmallow casserole, and green beans."

She claps her hands together, "yay! We should cook together that would be fun"

My dad closes the trunk of our car and walks over to me and sydney, "c'mon girls, let's go inside" we walk with my dad inside.

Once we get inside, it's a full house. The adults are walking all over the place in the kitchen and the little toddlers are running around the living room. As I walk in, Sheila spots me and my dad and runs over to us.

"Hey guys!" I smile as she gives us hugs and kisses.

She puts her hand in my shoulders, "the older kids are in scarletts room," I nod and wave to my dad as me and sydney walk to scarletts room.