Chapter 60 : "peppermint frappe"

It's eight at night and we just finished opening presents. I join my dad in the kitchen as he cleans up and prepares dinner.

"Hey dad," I approach him with a small smile.

"Hey sweetie, come to help with dinner?"

I laugh, "no I'm alright," I pat his shoulder, "I'll leave that to the chef."

He chuckles.

I sit on the counter and watch as he puts noodles in a pot.

"Are you and James okay?" He asks me.

No.

"Yeah, we just have some issues"

He nods, "I get that"

He sighs and looks at marjorie through the opening in the kitchen, "I love her you know? I just want to know if I have your permission to date her," he turns and looks at me.

"Dad...you don't need our permission"

"I know, but your mom and all"

"We all have the right to move on, maybe that's something we're both working on," I give him a smile.

"Speaking of...hows kio?"

I laugh. I haven't talked to him ever since that night. He said a lot of stuff, still some of it playing in my head. But i don't believe anything he said. It was all lies. He wants me to believe but I can't.

"There's no way I could see your beautiful face of yours in tears..."

He did see it. Everyone saw it.

"I never meant to hurt you..."

I can't understand him. One second he's so charming and soft, then he's rude and a cliche douchebag, then he's begging for my forgiveness?

"How do you even know him?" I laugh.

"I might be old but I'm wise, you're not very good with sneaking him around you guys are very loud when you..."

I gasp, "dad!"

"Sorry, you asked"

We both join each other in laughter.

I sigh, "I don't care about him right now."

"I just want you to be happy elena"

"Well dad, you should've thought about that before throwing your whole life away in front of us, almost taking your life?"

He starts to tear up.

"Dad...I'm sorry, I'm just mad at the world"

"No, no, you're right"

I look down and start forming circles on my legs as I hear him sniffling.

"That night..."

I look up to see tears streaming down his face.

"I called you, i thought hearing your voice would stop me from taking anymore and give me some hope. And when you answered all mad at me..."

The day me and kio escaped detention and I went to have lunch with Sierra and James...

"It made me realize that you guys didn't need me anymore, that I failed you"

I shake my head and run into his arms, "no dad. Don't say that. You're my dad and you will never fail me. But you were failing yourself when I needed a parent after mom died"

"You guys not being at the hospital made me realize how bad I messed up, I thought you were mad at me," he says in my hair.

"No, I wasn't mad at you, I just couldn't bare to see you like that. But I should've been there for you, instead I went to stupid Kios house."