Chapter 42

Carol could see the fear in Thor's eyes. She realized that he had been suffering alone which made her sad. He had never said anything about his nightmares, and constantly said he was fine even though he wasn't.

"I'm right here." She said, trying to calm him. 

Thor looked down at the ground, letting a tear slide slowly his cheek. He couldn't take it anymore. It had been different ever since he got back from Laos. It's like something in his mind changed completely. He wasn't the same person he was anymore. It scared him to see that he was slowly losing his mind. 

"I can't sleep anymore..." Thor wept. 

"We're going to get through this together." Carol spoke softly. 

"I'm not the same ever since.....ever since Laos...."

"None of us are."

"I can't trust myself anymore."

Carol hated seeing him like this. In the back of her mind, she thought about what he had just told her. She couldn't bear to watch him lose his mind. 

"I'm right by your side." She advised. 

"I can't take it anymore." Thor whispered with guilt. 

"Fight through it Thor."

"I just want to give up."

"Give me your hand."

Carol helped Thor up off the ground and lead him outside. It was still dark, and both of them could see the stars.

"Do you see those two stars right there?" She looked at him. 

"Yes." He said quietly. 

"That's me and you. Take one of them away, and it ruins everything. That's what will happen if you give up. I don't want to lose you again."

Thor looked at the ground silently. He just wanted to forget about his problems, but couldn't get himself to do it. They tormented him constantly, always in the back of his mind. He fought with himself, wanting to give up. Everyday was getting worse for him, and it was starting to get too much for him to handle. 

"I need you Thor. The world needs you." Carol assured. 

He slowly sighed, thinking about Carol's words. He wanted to let go of his problems, but he didn't know how. He felt completely alone, despite his best friend sitting right next to him. The fear inside of him was slowly burning a hole in his mind, wiping the happiness from his brain completely. He felt empty and sad at the same time. 

"I won't let you fight this battle alone." She continued. 

He sat there silently, listening to Carol. Thor realized that he wasn't completely alone. A single thought came to his mind, reminding him that he still had a tiny bit of happiness still in him. 

"I'm willing to help you." Carol said sympathetically. 

"I don't want to do this alone..." He mumbled. 

"I'll be right by your side."

Carol wrapped her arm around him, and they both just sat there. Thor didn't know why he felt sad, and it started to bother him. All he wanted to do was escape the nightmares but he didn't know how to. 

"Take a deep breath." She said soothingly. 

Thor inhaled slowly, letting all his problems build up. He held it for a few seconds before exhaling. All of his problems vanished, clearing his mind of everything. The only thing he could think of now was Carol. He closed his eyes, trying to relax. The silence was calming to him. 

"Let go of all your worries. Fill your mind with calming thoughts." Carol tried getting Thor to relax. 

Her voice was soothing to him. He let himself relax, and pushed away all of his thoughts. Everything that had held him back was gone. For the first time in years, he was extremely relaxed. 

"How are you feeling now?" She asked. 

"Relaxed." Thor responded. 

"I'll always be here for you."

"I know."

"None of this is was your fault. You're not the only one facing the same problems. Everyone else has the same issue but they get through it. I am willing to help you get through this if you want. I won't force you to do something if you don't want to."

"I want to get help but I feel completely alone. I don't know what to do."

"I'll show you the way, but you have to trust me."

"I trust you."