Chapter 114

The Avengers sat in the meeting room, waiting for Fury to show up. They all were silent, except for the sounds of breathing. Fury eventually entered the room, almost scaring the entire group.

"Glad to see you all made it." Fury didn't seem to enthused. 

"What are we needed for this time?" Steve asked. 

"I have another job for the Avengers." Fury said. 

"Like a mission or just a favor?" Thor wondered. 

"You guys are being transferred to Townsville." Fury informed them. 

"Where in the hell is Townsville?" Sam exclaimed. 

"It's one of Australia's many Air Force bases." Thor looked at him. 

"So this isn't a mission?" Carol said. 

"No it's not." Fury answered. 

"Good." Steve smiled. 

The group let out a sigh of relief, all happy that they weren't going on a mission. Thor looked fairly happy, since the base was only four hours from his house in Cairns.

"I'm going to miss this place." Sam sighed. 

"We're always getting transferred." Bucky mumbled. 

"Welcome to the Air Force." Steve stated. 

Fury dismissed the group, and went back into his office. They all went off on their separate ways. Carol walked around the base, taking in all the memories for the last time. It had been a while since they got transferred from Al Anad, and and even longer time since they were transferred from Nellis.

"Mind if I join you?" Thor asked. 

"Feel free. It'll be just like the old times." Carol didn't mind. 

"True. There's only one thing we're missing."

"Like what?"

"Going to Pancho's one last time."

The two of them kept walking, passing by the hangars. Carol looked at her plane, silently saying goodbye to it. Once they got to Townsville, it would be a completely different experience then at Edwards. 

"Have you been to Townsville before?" Thor looked at her. 

"No." Carol shook her head. 

"You're going to love it. It's pretty awesome."

"Better then here?"

"Depends on the person."

"I still think Edwards is the best one."

"Me too."

Thor smiled at her, causing her to also smile. They eventually made their way back to the main hall just in time for dinner. It would be their last dinner at the base, so Thor decided to do something special. He had been waiting all day to show her what he had planned, just for the two of them. 

"Come on." Thor held out his hand. 

"Where are we going?" Carol was confused. 

"You'll see."

Thor took Carol's hand and lead her to his car. She was slightly confused, but more curious. They both got in, and Thor started driving towards where his surprise was. 

"This is new." Carol declared. 

"Just wait until we get there." Thor smirked. 

"This is making me want to find out what you have planned even more."

"You'll love it."

"I have a feeling I might know what it is?"

"Take a guess."

"Pancho's?"

"Nope."

"Your house?"

"Close, but no."

Thor just smirked at her. She lightly smacked him on the arm, wanting to know where he was taking her. He didn't say anything, wanting it to be a surprise. She eventually gave up on guessing, since she hadn't made the correct guess.

"Are we almost there?" Carol asked. 

"Yup." Thor nodded. 

After a good five minutes of driving, Thor parked his car near the edge of the mountain. The two of them could see the sunset right in front of them. Carol got out of the car, looking around. Thor opened the trunk of the car, pulling out a basket and a blanket. 

"So this is what you were planning." Carol chuckled. 

"You were really close to guessing it." Thor said. 

Thor shook the blanket out, and placed it on the ground. Once he did that, he started taking food he had brought out of the basket. Carol sat down on the blanket, still watching the sunset. The sky was a fiery orange, making the horizon stand out. 

"How long were you planning all of this?" Carol looked at him, a slight smile appearing on her face. 

"You know... just several months." Thor teased. 

"Damn you're good."

The two of them enjoyed the food that he had brought, watching the sun set over the mountains in the distance. When they were done, Thor moved the basket aside, freeing up more space for them to gaze the stars.

"I used to do this with my brother Steve." Carol remembered the distant memories. 

"Just bringing back several memories." Thor smiled. 

"You're doing a great job at it."

Both of them silently stared at the stars, trying to pick out the constellations. It was quite calming with the sounds of crickets chirping in the distance. Eventually it got dark enough, and the area was filled with flashing green.

"After all these years, you still manage to surprise me." Carol exclaimed. 

"Anything to see you smile." Thor admitted.