Chapter 138

Carol sat on the bed, trying to fall asleep. She just couldn't get herself to do that. After staring at the ceiling for what seemed like a few hours, her phone buzzed. She picked it up, opening the text from Thor.

Sorry to text you so late. You're probably up anyways. I just wanted to check in on how you're doing. It's hard being without you, but somehow we've managed. I was really hoping to see you and Brie again. It doesn't seem like I will. I don't want you to worry about me. I'll be just fine. Tell Brie I love her, and I always will. Carol, this is going to be hard on you, and it may seem like it will never end. I promise you, everything is going to be okay. Even though I won't be with you anymore, nothing will keep me from you. I promised you when we were married, that no matter what, I would never leave your side. Please know that I will always love you. I am sorry Carol...

Carol read the entire thing, not wanting to believe what he had said. She sat there silently, letting the tears fall from her eyes. She didn't want to think any of this was true. Her worst nightmare had came true. She didn't know what to do. All she wanted to do was call Thor, but that would never happen. Her next best option was Maria.

"Hello?" Maria answered. 

"Maria?" Carol barely managed to speak. 

"What are you doing up this late?"

Carol couldn't get herself to speak. It was too hard for her. The only thing she managed to do was cry. She was too broken to say anything. Maria stayed on the other end, listening to her best friend. 

"Hold on Carol. I'll be there."

Carol dropped her phone on the ground, too overwhelmed with sadness. She couldn't think of anything but Thor. Her world had been torn to pieces. She heard Maria's footsteps coming towards her room. 

"It's going to be okay Carol..." Maria comforted. 

Tears kept falling from her face, the only thing she could do. Maria comforted her best friend as best as she could, calling everyone else. They all responded to her, heading to help Carol.

"...I wasn't even there..." Carol cried. 

"I'm sorry..." Maria looked at her best friend. 

All anyone could do was comfort her. All of them silently mourned Thor, joining Carol. None of them said a single word. Carol didn't know what to do. The worst part was how to explain to Brie what happened and why her dad wouldn't be with them anymore. 

"It's going to be okay. We'll get through this." Steve whispered. 

Loki left the room, checking on Brie. She was confused on why everyone wasn't saying anything. Carol held her in her arms, not saying anything. She didn't want to have to tell her daughter that Thor wasn't coming. 

"...dada...?" Brie looked very sad. 

Carol didn't respond. She couldn't think of a response without crying even more then she already was. Loki was the only one who talked.

"Your dad's in a better place." Loki looked at her. 

Brie looked up at Loki with a confused look. He didn't know how to explain it better. She was too young to understand what was going on. Eventually Carol would have to tell her, but not until she was older. 

"We're all here for you Carol." Rhodey said. 

She didn't know how she was going to get past this. Thor had always been there for her, but now he couldn't. Carol just wanted to wake up from the nightmare that was real. Nothing could've prepared her for this. She looked at her friends around her, and back down at her daughter. 

"...I don't know what to do..." Carol was completely torn to pieces. 

"We'll be here for you." Bucky responded. 

"We won't leave your side." Sam answered. 

"...I just wish he was here..." Carol didn't know what to do.