Silent World (Part 1)

Roman used to be able to hear. He'd woken up to alarm bells, birds chirping and bacon sizzling. He could hear others laugh, cackle or cry. He'd know how they were feeling without looking at them. He would hear shouts to watch where he was going if he bumped into people and yell back apologies. The world was happy. It was loud. He was loud.

It started when he couldn't hear his mother's loud voice from the next room. She had pop her head in his room and yell at him for dinner. He didn't think much of it.It gradually got worse, until Roman woke up one day and realised something. The world was silent. No sizzling bacon. No birds chirping. No alarms beeping.

He saw the door open. It didn't squeak loudly as it usually did. Remus peeked in and asked something. He frowned. He tried to speak but he didn't know if he did. Remus frowned and turned to outside the door. His mother came in and knelt next to him. She opened her mouth and asked him something. He didn't respond. He couldn't hear.

He was taken to a doctor. The doctor told something to Remus and his mother. They kept returning and taking tests until he was given hearing aids. Actually they were like earphones connected to a small box. It was switched on. 

"Can you hear me?"

Roman nodded smiling like a maniac. His mother smiled tearfully. He thought of something scary. He'd have to return to school. Be the new kid all over again.