Just found this on Tumblr

Post by dukeofonions
So I was gonna do the video game post first, but then I remembered I'd started this one before I left for the weekend and decided to finish it. As a result, it's kinda messy and my thoughts are all over the place, I had to delete and rewrite is several times, but I think I managed to get my overall thoughts there.
As always, this is just my opinion. You are free to agree, disagree, or feel completely indifferent towards a random person who spends their free time dissecting fictional characters. I won't lie, Deceit was the best part of this video. I didn't think he'd be included as much as he was. Originally, I thought he'd be content to lurk in the shadows and let Thomas deal with the repercussions of not heeding him in the first place and leave him to sort through the mess himself without his help. Possibly having a cameo in the end, foreshadowing some major event that's soon to take place, but I was completely wrong and he got the best freaking entrance and completely owned the episode. It was great, seeing him take on his role of self preservation and defend Thomas, who was being harmed unknowingly by Patton with how far he was taking things. He encouraged Thomas to start taking better care of his mental health, was given a seat at the table, and even showed they could trust him by revealing his name: Janus
It was wonderful, beautiful, and I have a lot of issues with this.
Let me explain, on its own, the whole scene building up to Deceit revealing his name, and the following aftermath, is perfect.
What feels off to me is Janus himself, he feels like a completely different character compared to the Deceit we met in Can Lying Be Good? and saw in action during Selfishness vs Selflessness
To start, let's briefly go over Deceit's character throughout the first 5 episodes we see him in before we get to POF.
In his debut, Can Lying Be Good? He spends a majority of the episode disguised as Patton. Pushing Thomas to lie to his friend in order to spare their feelings and to avoid the possibility of Thomas being hurt. He's shown to enjoy the distress the others are going through as the situation becomes more and more uncomfortable, and even gets close to being aggressive when Thomas decides he needs to be honest in this situation. Once it becomes clear Thomas won't listen to him as Patton, he drops his act and reveals himself.
Immediately, we are given the impression that this is not someone we can trust. From the music, to Deceit's entire demeanor, even the Sides' reactions to him are enough to enforce that idea, as well as Deceit's reactions to them.
With Logan, he immediately silences him, growling almost as if he's annoyed and has had to do this before. He doesn't really pay Logan any mind after his reveal and ignores him for the most part and Logan is more than eager to expose him for what he is.
Roman states that he "Hates this guy and his creepy snake face" while adding that he's "Very kind" which Deceit responds to by giving him a false compliment. Showing right away that this has also happened before with these two (Logan is about to comment on the exchange but decides not to bother)
Virgil clearly has some deep rooted animosity towards Deceit. With the glare he shoots him and the two immediately throw insults at each other which comes back to play in almost all of their interactions.
We don't really get much in terms of what Deceit's character is really like with this first episode. We know he can be a threatening presence, but also has a bit of a goofier, dorky side to him as well. At this point, we're not sure what his goals are or what his relationships with the other Sides are like (It's obvious they all don't like him) but for a while, this was all we got.
His next appearance was a brief cameo in Logic vs Passoin where he showed up after Logan exclaimed "I won't have you lying to yourself!" Where he gave an evil chuckle, flipped Thomas off, then sank out without a word. This still didn't give us much in regards to Deceit's character, other than enforcing the fact that he didn't like Thomas and showing that he had a bit of a mischievous side as well. It did, however, show that Thomas was easily distressed by him and wasn't entirely on board with having Deceit for a Side yet.
After that, he disappears for 2 episodes before showing up during the end card of Embarrassing Phases, which is one of my favorite scenes in the series, and one that now causes a bit of problems which I will get back to later. Just note that this scene once again reinforces these things about Deceit: He is a threat, he can't be trusted, he still has a bit of a goofy side, and on top of that his rivalry with Virgil is expanded upon and the idea that these two have a history is put up front and center.
Then finally, we get our first official episode that takes all we've learned about Deceit and amplifies them in Selfishness vs Selflessness. What we get is a character that can be cool and charismatic, but can also be silly. It's still unclear what his overall goal is, and he delights in being proved right and winning against the others.
An interesting thing to note here is that all of the interactions Deceit has with the other Sides in CLBG Come back into play here.
He ignores Logan and keeps his input limited, he uses flattery on Roman to sway him to his side, and of course him and Virgil still have their rivalry, revealing more and more just how much Virgil hates Deceit. We also finally get to see his relationship with Patton, and see that he seems to hold almost the same amount of animosity towards Deceit as Virgil does. Thomas himself isn't as frightened by him anymore, and is willing to hear him out, but he still doesn't trust him.
Throughout the "trial" Deceit openly mocks the others, discredits them, and when he "wins" he rubs that victory in Thomas' face and is shown laughing and celebrating while the others are at the lowest they've been. Things then take a turn when Roman decides to sentence Thomas to go to the wedding and give up the callback, which clearly distresses Deceit to the point where he nearly has a breakdown due to the others not being able to comprehend what he's trying to say. Which is basically, selfishness isn't always a bad thing, which he articulates a lot better in POF, but we'll get back to that.
He leaves the episode shortly after Logan shows up, but not before delivering this rather ominous line: "It's clear you all don't want to listen to reason (while the embodiment of Thomas' logic and reasoning is standing right next to him) but hear this: I'll always be a part of you. I'm not going anywhere, and there are smarter ways to get people to do what you want anyway."
Does that sound like a threat to anyone else? Or is it just me? Keep in mind at this point, everyone is still very much against Deceit, and he clearly is about to change tactics when it comes to dealing with them and getting what he wants. Another important thing to note is that this is the last time Thomas sees and deals with Deceit directly before we get to POF.
I should probably bring up Dealing With Intrusive Thoughts because while Deceit isn't in the episode, he is mentioned a couple of times by Remus, who implies that it was Deceit himself who's responsible for sending Remus out to antagonize the others. While this can't be confirmed, Remus claims that Deceit said "You're wanting to be more honest and be direct dealing with your issues, no longer will you deceive yourself about the ugliness within you."
This shows that Deceit is switching things up and making good on his "promise" that he made at the end of SVS by forcing Thomas to accept yet another part of him that he doesn't like. One that, by comparison, is much worse than anything Deceit could bring to the table.
His next actual appearance is another cameo in Are There Healthy Distractions? where all he does is take his hat back from Roman and berates him for it. The only significant thing to happen here is Virgil's reaction to seeing him, which again, I'll get back to in a moment.
This was the last time we saw Deceit for awhile, we were then subjected to a long drought between episodes as people waited to see the aftermath of the wedding that was the main conflict of SVS. Keep in mind again that so far, Deceit has remained relatively the same mysterious, slightly villainous character that we've seen throughout his 5 appearances thus far in the series.
So you can see why some people would be shocked when he suddenly does a complete 180 and is going about promoting mental health while acting silly around Thomas and befriending Patton, the Side he went head to head with during his last main appearance, and is now being offered a seat at the table while showing genuine concern for Thomas and aiming to protect him, which goes to show that he cared all along.
Right?
Uh, yeah, I'm not buying it.
Well let me clarify, do I think Janus is evil? No.
Is it impossible for him to actually care about Thomas? Of course not.
And do I think it's possible for him to change from his villainous persona to a more friendly one? Absolutely.
The problem here is that it doesn't feel earned. We've only had one full episode with Janus before this, and even in the brief appearances we got his character remained consistent throughout them all. It's almost like there's a piece of this puzzle missing, and I have a theory as to where it is.
In short, Janus has not been fully accepted yet. Thomas trusts him, and even Patton does now, but does Roman? Don't make me laugh.
Logan? He was once again removed from the discussion by Janus, which is a running theme with these two, so I doubt he'd be quick to accept someone who continuously silences him unless it benefits him.
And the biggest factor of them all, Virgil.
He hates Janus, every interaction these two have had is filled with insults, glares, and Virgil becoming more aggressive than he's ever been towards anyone in the series.
Just look at him in ATHD, when Janus shows up hardly anyone pays him any mind. Heck, Remus has continuously popped up throughout the episode and no one has batted an eye, not even Virgil. But as soon as Janus shows up he goes feral, hissing at him while Janus pays him no mind.
What is going on here?
It's glaringly obvious that something has happened between these two, something that won't be easily swept under the rug when it comes up.
For one thing, just compare Virgil's relationship with Janus to his relationship with Remus. We see at the beginning of DWIT that, of course, Virgil is hostile towards Remus and hates him, while being distressed by him. The two know each other and seem to have a bit of a history of their own.
What's the difference between Remus and Janus?