Home EC

Mr Italia. I really didn't like him. Home EC would've been a thousand times better if he wasn't our teacher. He gave me an 'F' for when I created Spaghetti on toast. He said it wasn't an appropriate sustainable meal. He didn't even like my water sandwich! It could hydrate you at the same time as feed you. He just doesn't understand art, I sighed internally at just sighing his face.

"We didn't hear the bell go," Wales said.

"Right, get out your books and get on with your work," He said in a grumbly tone. He placed worksheets down in front of us and told us to fill them out. I didn't. I covered the entire page with doodle stars. I heard a knock on the window to my right.

It happened a few times. I thought it must have one of the year 12s trying to get someone's attention. There was a knocking again and then Bela nudged my arm and told me to look out the window. I sat up straight and looked out the window.

It was that guy again. He waved at me. I felt uncomfortable, so I turned my head back to doodling stars.

"Do you know him?" Bela whispered-asked. I shook my head, trying to ignore him.

"He is holding a note with your name on it," Bela said nonchalantly.

"What?" I blurted, turning around to see the guy holding up a piece of paper with my name on it. I felt a little creeped out, but the look on the guy's face told a different story. He looked friendly. I learnt about stranger danger though. I shouldn't trust him.

I heard a loud slam on my desk in front of me, which almost gave me a heart attack. I looked at what had made the sound. I looked up to see the vexed face of Mr Italia.

"I see you haven't done your work," I said in his dark strong tone that sent shivers down my spine.

"You are no better than your brothers, I will have to get you to sit up the front," He ordered. I stood up, snagged my books and did the walk of shame to the front of the class. I sat down and stared at my people while I listened into the whispered conversations.

I didn't dare look out the window again. That guy only caused me trouble. I kept my head down to ignore any eye-contact with the teacher, or anyone.

As soon as the lesson finished, I waited for Bela and Wales to grab their stuff and walk with me to our lockers. We walked together. I couldn't think of anything to say. Bela looked like she really had something to say. She kept quiet though. That isn't like her.

We got to my locker, and I put my things away. I was confused about whether I would have to go to lunchtime detention today because Mr Sweden said he would get me out of it.

Maybe I should just skip it. I grabbed my lunch and followed the others to their lockers.

We went to the usual spot and ate our lunch.

"Well that was awkward," Bela laughed. I nodded my head jerkingly and took a bite out of my sandwich.

"Wait, don't you have detention?" Wales asked, tilting his head like a dog. It was cute- wait, what am I thinking!? I blushed slightly, rubbing my face as if the blush was a paint and I could just rub it off.

"Screw it, it's not like anyone cares," I sighed. I could see out of the corner of my eye, Belarus playing with her skirt like she did whenever she had something to say.

"Bela? Did you want to say something?" I asked. Her face lit up a little when I asked. A beautiful spark appeared in her eyes.

"I will perform the little plays we made in Drama class on Friday night!" She said excitedly.

"But we were going camping for the entire weekend, including the Friday night," Wales said, sounding a little sad.

"I promised Bela that I would come and watch her too," I said. I could see any joy in Wales's face vanish.

"How about, you go Friday night and set up and I can get America to drop and Bela and us off the next morning," I offered.

"I guess," Wales still seemed disappointed. I couldn't go back on a promise though. Bela's family barely come and watch her perform, anyway.

"That works for me!" Bela said in her lovely gleeful tone. Why was everything about her so sweet and beautiful? Agh! I'm doing it again! If I date her, I will never hear the end with my family.

Wales changed the subject, and we started talking about schoolwork and how much it sucks.

"I have a test this Thursday and performance," Bela said.

"I thought you enjoyed performing?" I asked.

"I do! It's just a lot of hard work and energy that goes into them," She pointed out blandly, her voice trailing off.

"Well, I have two assignments due this week and three next week," Wales one-upped.

"Have you started any of them?" I asked smugly, grinning at him.

"Not a chance! They tell us to challenge ourselves so I will challenge myself to put them all off till the last minute," Wales laughed.

"Sucks to be you," I snorted.

"It sucks to be me? Look at your situation," Wales said, punching me in the arm.

"Well, I finished my assignments!" I answered smugly.

"You have not!" Wales exclaimed, his voice going up a pitch which made me snicker uncontrollably.

"I have!" I hadn't, I just thought Wales's reaction was great when he thought I was better than him.

"Could New Zealand make his way to the detention room, please?" The words came over the loudspeaker. Damit. I stood up to walk to the detention room, feeling a bit disappointed.

"Sorry for the intrusion, but could New Zealand please ignore the last announcement." The loudspeaker said.

"Was that Mr Sweden speaking?" Bela pointed out. I realised it was. I sat back down next to Bela and Wales.

"That was his accent," Wales noted. We continued talking for a while, and then the bell rang to ruin our fun. Wales had to get to his next lesson quickly since it was on the other side of the school, and I started following him to the lockers. But before I could leave, I felt someone grab my arm. I turned around to see Bela standing there playing with her skirt in one hand.