Learning Russian

I felt slightly uncomfortable. Meri and Ruski began arguing. Brazil and Iraq sat down next to me. Iraq pulled out a convenient bag of popcorn out of the plastic bag he was holding and shared it around with us. We sat and watched the action unfold. I got a slight bit concerned when they started pushing each other.

Brazil got bored after a while and pulled out a pack of cigarettes.

"It's not weed, but it'll help pass the time," He said, handing me one. I pulled out the lighter. I lit up the cigarette and threw the lighter to Brazil.

"Um... should we stop them?" Iraq asked nervously, looking at the two, pointing at America and Russia. Russia had pinned America to the ground and America held a gun to Russia's head.

"Nah, this' fun," Brazil said, taking another puff of his cigarette. Suddenly someone's phone started ringing. Russia let go of Ame and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Привет," He answered (Hello). He seemed slightly surprised as he was probably listening to someone rants to him on the other side of the phone.

"Я скоро буду," He sighed (I'll be there soon). He put his phone away.

"Giving up already?" Ame laughed.

"Unlike you, I have a little sister I need to 'watch' over. New Zealand, come with me," Russia commanded. I stood up to follow him, thinking he was probably talking about Bela.

"Woah, woah, woah! Where do you think you are taking my brother?" Ame stopped Russia, America holding onto his gun.

"To see his girlfriend, now put down that puny gun," Russia said walking past America. I followed Russia reluctantly.

"Hey! Did you want your lighter back?" Brazil called me.

"Oh yeah, I forgot," I said, turning. Brazil threw it to me and I caught it. I turned back to follow Russia, but Ame stopped me.

"Hey!" I said, annoyed at his actions.

"Don't go with the commie, he is obviously a terrible influence," Ame tried to talk me out of it.

"And you're any better? You were literally holding a gun to his head just a minute ago, I'm not a little kid, I'm capable of looking after myself," I explained before pushing past him. I caught up with Russia and walked beside him.

"He still treats you like a kid, huh?" Russia commented.

"Yeah, it sucks. Just because I'm smaller than the others," I sighed.

"Not sure what it's like to be small, but it must suck," Russia chuckled. I didn't know that Russia could be joyful. It was strange.

"Hey, do you think you could teach me some Russian, you know, for Bela," I asked nervously. I was blushing just thinking about her.

"Sure, when you see her next, just say 'Ты выглядишь прекрасно' it means, 'you look beautiful'," Russia explained.

"Ты выглядишь прекрасно?" I said, trying to make sure I was saying it right.

"Not to me, to Bela," Russia joked.

"Heh, yeah," I chuckled as I thought about Bela's reaction. Her beautiful smile.

"And 'Я так тебя люблю' means 'I love you so much'," Russia said. By the time we made it back to the school, Russia had taught me several ways to complement Bela. I could see her waiting out the front of the school with someone else.

The closer we got, the more I realised who the other person was. My sister. When she saw me, she ran over to me and gave me the biggest hug. I could spot a sense of jealousy in Bela's eyes.

"Aotearoa! Why didn't you tell me you got hit by a car!!" Maori yelled, and she squeezed me tighter.

"The others told you, didn't they?" I said.

"Uh, of course!! They wouldn't hide this kind of stuff from me!" Maori explained in her angry voice. Bela walked over to us.

"Heh, I guess you've met my sister," I laughed to Bela.

"How come I didn't know you had a sister? Let alone a twin sister?" Bela complained.

"I'm not allowed to talk about her because of this stupid contract," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh," Bela sighed. Maori finally let go of me and whispered something in Bela's ear.

"Ka nui toku aroha ki a koe," Bela recited (I love you so much). I went bright red. She had learnt Maori for me. Russia whispered in my ear to respond in Russian.

"я люблю тебя еще больше" I responded (I love you more). I watched her face turn just as red as mine.

"All right love birds, this has been lovely but I should really take my little sister home," Russia sighed, picking up Bela and throwing her over his shoulder.

"Hey! Put me down!" Bela complained.

"I have declined your request, we are leaving now," Russia announced, walking off with Bela dangling behind him, hitting his back most-likely swearing at him in Russian. When she looked at me she waved goodbye. I waved back.

"I see you don't have as terrible a choice as I thought you did," Maori sneered playfully, looking at me smugly. I rolled my eyes and started walking off.

"Hey, the others asked me to walk you back home to make sure you don't go back to the UK's place," Maori called as she caught up with me.

"Apparently, he has called the police," I explained.

"I figured since they showed up on my doorstep asking if I had seen you around at all. I'm surprised I was the first person the UK would suspect of kidnapping 'his' son," She laughed.

"Don't get so cocky, remember as kids? You would try to kidnap me all the time," I joked back.

"Interesting times," She sighed happily.

We walked down the road together, talking about a good deal of stuff.

"You taught her that, didn't you?" I asked, still thinking about what happened before.

"Taught who what?" Maori asked, a little confused.

"Bela, you taught her to say that," I explained.

"Yeah, well, she was interested first, shortly after I introduced myself to her,"

"Oh, how long were you waiting?" I asked.

"Not too long, twenty or thirty minutes," She shrugged.

"Yeah, I had detention," I said, rubbing my neck.

"That didn't look like detention, and besides, I can smell the smoke on your breath," She said, narrowing her eyes. She was not impressed.

"I can quit! It can't be that hard, I have only had a few anyway, I'm not as addicted as some kids," I blurted out defensively.

"Uh-huh, look, you talk to Neth about that stuff and see what he tells you, do you want to end up like him?"

"Well, no. It's just- smoking is so relaxing,"

"It is, but you know it can kill you,"

"Yeah, but I'm a country, not a human, I'm practically immortal,"

"Not at the rate you're going. Besides, I need you to be alive by the end of the contract," Maori complained. She had a point. But, once again, I'm a country! Smoking can't kill me. I think-