Spray paint

This felt wrong. I didn't know what I was thinking. I'm going to get into serious trouble over this. Brazil had opened his bag to reveal seven cans of spray paint, all the different colours. I felt uncomfortable, but it didn't take long for Brazil to stick a can of red spray paint in my hands.

He held up a green can and tagged the rubbish bin we were sitting on. It spelt 'DG' for what I assumed was short for Detention Gang. Iraq picked up a black can and started spray painting strange symbols on the walls.

I looked at the spray paint in my hand and then looked at the wall the others were already marking. It seemed fun. I held up my can to the wall and began painting stars. It took a while to get the hang off, but I worked it out. I could decorate the wall with a bunch of random doodles. It turns out Iraq was a better artist than me.

I noticed that Russia was texting someone. I got curious but decided not to ask, I just drew more stars.

Suddenly, I heard a weird sound. It sounded like loud stepping that became faster. I could easily guess who it was. Russia motioned to us to hide. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that he had something to do with this. Before I could find a place to hide, Russia took the can from my hand.

I hid behind the rubbish bin, which was where the others hid too. The three of us peeked out to see what would happen. Russia stood in the centre of the alleyway and held the can of red spray paint behind his back. The sound of stepping came to a stop and we could Mr NATO standing in full view.

He looked awful. His clothes were slightly crooked, and he smelt of smoke. He was furious.

"You are in so much trouble!! Where are the other three!" He shouted. Russia didn't respond.

Mr NATO started walking closer until he was right up in Russia's face. I always knew Mr NATO didn't really like Russia's family for historical reasons.

I noticed a smile spread across Russia's face. It only took a second for him to pull out the red spray paint and quickly sprayed his face. Mr NATO jumped back in surprise and covered his eyes.

"Run!" Russia shouted to us as he already dashed off ahead. We all did as he commanded and followed him. I looked back to see Mr NATO chasing after us, his face now red. Not red with anger, just red from the spray paint.

He was catching up quickly, which I was not expecting.

"He is gaining on us!" Brazil shouted. An idea came to mind as we were running.

"Follow me!" I said, running faster and taking the lead. The others didn't complain. I wove in and out of alleyways to try to lose sight of Mr NATO. It appeared to work, and I managed to rush into Ireland's pub.

I slowed down and saw Ireland standing at the bar talking to someone. I ran up to him and interrupted his conversation.

"Can you hide us?" I asked while watching the door.

"Who are you hiding from?" He asked.

"Just hid us!" I shouted.

"Okay, okay. You can hide in the storage room," He said, pointing to a small room behind the bar. Without thinking too much, we all hide in the room.

"Well, that was an adventure," Brazil commented in a hushed tone. Russia shushed him. We sat in the storage room for a few minutes and got bored.

We thought Mr NATO stopped looking for us, but we decided it would be safer to wait until the end of detention. So thirty more minutes.

"So, how do you know Ireland this well?" Iraq asked me.

"He is Australia's dad," I said briefly.

"Doesn't that make him your dad as well?" Brazil pointed out.

"Nah, Aus was 'adopted'," I chuckled slightly.

"But aren't you two twins?" Iraq stated.

"We aren't twins! We were 'adopted' from different families," I got angry when someone called us twins. If only our flags were different. I have been creating a few designs for a new flag by the end of the contract.

"So you had other parents," Russia said.

"No, my birth parents are dead," I said plainly. I know, usually stating that your parents are dead is something most people would cry over, but to be honest, I couldn't care less.

"I never met them, so I don't miss them," I sighed.

Suddenly the sound of the pub door slamming open was to be heard and the familiar huffing became obvious. We four went silent.

"You! Have you seen four kids run in here!?" Mr NATO shouted at what I suppose was Ireland.

"You have a bit of paint on your face," I heard a lady comment. That made me snicker a little.

"Just answer me!" Mr NATO demanded.

"No, kids aren't allowed in my pub, go looking somewhere else before you break something," Ireland commented.

"You had better be sure," Mr NATO muttered before I could hear his footsteps fade, followed by the opening and shutting of the door.

We sat tight until Ireland let us out.

"New Zealand, you ran away from school?" Ireland asked, looking down at me.

"Maybe," I answered.

"You remind me of me when I was younger, keep it up," He smiled.

"Really?" I asked, a little confused.

"Yes, now probably leave before he comes back," He said, patting me on the back.

The four of us left the pub and walked back down the alleyway to collect Brazil's spray paints. On the walk back, I felt my phone buzz.

I brushed it off, thinking it was probably just America still trying to reach me, so I ignored it. Then I got a phone call. It was from Aus. I answered.