storm > g.d

the thunder clapped outside, scaring me a little. i heard a faint scream and saw avery and alex run downstairs.

avery and alex are almost 5-year-old twins. yep, another pair of dolan twins. neither of them like storms, so i knew they would be scared soon.

alex ran up to me and set his little hand on the counter, panting. "m-mommy! it's stormin' out there!" i nodded and continued washing the dishes. "daddy will be home soon, he'll protect us." they both nodded.

"c'mon alex, let's play over here." i watched them walk over to the carpet in the living room and play together. they have an inseparable bond, it's adorable. they share a room, their beds being close to each other. i sighed, wondering how we would get them to bed tonight.

the door opened slowly to reveal a wet grayson. he took off his raincoat and hung it up on the rack by the front door. "hey babe. how was work?" he shrugged. "it was okay. kinda stressful, so i'm happy to be home." i continued my work in the kitchen as grayson was practically trampled by the kids.

"daddy, it's storming real bad outside. mommy said you would protect us...will you?" i turned and watched him squat down in front of avery and alex, grabbing their hands. "of course. i'll never let anything bad happen to you." grayson looked over at me and smiled. "alright, you guys go play okay?" they nodded and ran off to the play area.

"hey babe." he wrapped his arms around me, his hands resting on my lower back. "hi." i whispered as i leaned in for a kiss. "eww!! mommy and daddy kissed! look ave!" grayson and i laughed, looking over at our babies.

they went back to playing and grayson and i kept watching them. "can you believe we made them? like, we made them." i nodded, smiling. "yeah, and they're already almost five." he pushed me gently, moving my body from the dishwasher. "i got this, you go get them ready for bed." i kissed his cheek and walked over to the kids.

"alrighty, bedtime." alex was the first to complain. "but mommy! it-it's scary out there. a-avery and i..we're scared. right avery?" he looked over at her and she nodded, smiling. i rolled my eyes. "you'll be in the same room, and daddy and i will be just down the hall." alex's head fell, and they both shuffled up the stairs to their bedroom.

"okay, tucked in. want your stuffies?" they both nodded, so i gave them their stuffed bears from their first birthday. "okay." i kissed them both on the head and told them goodnight. "if you need anything, come get daddy or me. but please just try to get some sleep, okay?" they nodded.

i walked downstairs to find grayson watching TV while folding laundry. "thanks gray." he smiled but kept his eyes on the football game in front of him. i sat down next to him and put my cheek against his shoulder.

he finished folding the clothes and turned off the TV. we both decided to just go to our room now, since we were exhausted.

time skip

"mommy. mommy." alex continued to shake my arm and whisper my name until i sat up, turning on the bedside lamp. "what is it baby?" he looked back to the window behind him just as lightning stroke. "avery and i got scared." i sighed and felt the bed dip down. i leaned back into grayson's chest. "they got scared."

"wanna sleep in here tonight?" grayson offered, making me gasp. everytime the kids slept in here, grayson and i only got a few hours of sleep. alex and avery nodded and climbed in between grayson and i.

i sighed again and laid back down, turning to face alex's back and stroke his hair, calming him.

i leaned up a little to see avery snuggled up with her dad, making me mentally 'aw'.

they fell asleep surprisingly quick, which made me relieved.

"good night my loves." i whispered into the darkness.

"good night baby." grayson whispered back, making me smile.

published may 24 2020
haven't updated in a while, i'm sorry. didn't really know how to end this, but i hope you liked it anyways. ily all sm<3