dance with me > e.d

i ran my fingers through his soft hair as he laid in my lap. the only sound that was heard was his small breaths and the faint music in the background.

"eth?" his eyes slowly opened and locked on mine. "don't fall asleep on my lap. you and i both know i wouldn't be able to get you up to your room." he chuckled, his eyes sparkling from the sunlight coming in between the half-opened curtains.

the song changed to perfect by ed sheeran. ethan always said he wanted this song played at our wedding. no, we aren't engaged. but he talks about our future together all the time and i think it's the sweetest and best thing ever.

he sat up and got up off the couch. he turned to face me, his hand outstretched. "dance with me." i looked up into his hazel eyes, that seemed even more of a honey brown with the way the sun was hitting them. i set my phone down and grabbed his hand, getting off the couch.

"ethan." i mumbled. he looked back at me, still walking to an empty area for us to dance. he finally stopped and held both my hands in his. "you know i can't dance." he sighed and shrugged. "so i'll teach you. i mean, you are gonna have to dance with me and your dad when we get married." i looked away for a second, a little nervous about dancing. i could step on his feet, i could fall. there's a lot of things that could go wrong.

"here, stand on my feet, and i'll walk us around the room, okay?" i nodded and stepped on his bare feet. "is that okay?" i was still a little unsure. he nodded. his arms were wrapped around my waist and mine were around his neck.

after a little while, i leaned my head on his chest, feeling the tiny vibrations because he was humming along to the song. he swayed and spun us around the room, making me smile. he sang the last words out loud to me:

"you look perfect tonight"

published may 25 2020