"can i hold her mommy?" > e.d

6:30am. same time every night. cries erupted from april's room, and either ethan or myself had to get to her quickly so she didn't wake up our 3 year old boy, grant.

i rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before getting up out of bed, going to get april.

"hi babygirl." i whispered as i picked her up, cradling her close to my chest. i rocked her back and forth in my arms, her cries slowly dying down.

i changed her diaper and carried her downstairs to fix a bottle. i warmed it in the microwave and made sure it wasn't too hot before i gave it to her.

i sat down on the couch and watched her closely, listening to her quiet sucking noises.

once she finished it, i burped her before carrying her back to the nursery to change her clothes.

my back was to the nursery door as i faced the changing table. i soon felt two arms wrap around me, startling me at first. i quickly leaned back into ethan's warm embrace, cuddling our daughter close.

he leaned his chin on my shoulder as we both admired april's sweet, tiny features. he 'booped' her button nose, making her quiet laugh erupt from her little pink lips.

she had ethan's eyes and nose, while her hair color was closer to mine and her cheeks were more chubby, also like mine. her tiny fingers wrapped around my finger, holding my hand over her tiny body.

"she's just absolutely mesmerizing, isn't she?" ethan's morning voice spoke from behind me. i just nodded, still overwhelmed by her round hazel eyes that would appear closed when she laughed or smiled.

after minutes of adoring our babygirl, we walked back to our bedroom, laying down on the bed with april between us.

she babbled on and on, grabbing onto her feet every now and then.

"mommy?" i sat up on my elbow, looking to the bedroom door. it was open a little, a tiny face peeking through.

"come in baby." grant's feet patted against the wooden floor until he reached the bed, climbing on. he crawled across, leaning into me.

i kissed his head softly, playing with his soft brown hair. "how'd you sleep grant?" he reached his hand down, giggling as april gripped his finger. "good." he mumbled in between laughs. i smiled, looking down to see april staring up at her big brother.

when grant was told he was going to have a sibling, he wished for a sister. ethan and i were honestly shocked, expecting him to want a brother to play with. but no, he wanted a sister. so, when he found out he was going to have a baby sister, he did his signature 'happy dance'. he does it whenever he is either really excited or he gets exactly what he wants. in this case, it was both.

"i just love my sister." i smiled, looking up at ethan, who looked back up at me, also smiling.

"can i hold her mommy?" he turned to look at me, his green eyes sparkling in the morning light. i nodded, making his face light up.

we had to move around a bit so that grant could lean against ethan. i picked up april, kissing her forehead before laying her gently in grant's lap.

i grabbed my phone sneakily, taking a quick picture of the loves of my life seated in front of me.

"grant, smile baby." he looked up at my phone, smiling as big as he possibly could, his eyes squinting.

i 'aww'd' at the picture, showing ethan before tossing my phone down on the bed.

"i just love april. don't you daddy?" he looked up at ethan, who nodded.

"i do love april. and i love you too grant."

"mommy?" i looked up at grant, a tiny shimmer in his eyes. "do you love april?"

"of course i do baby. and just like daddy, i love you too." i placed a quick kiss on his forehead before we all sat in silence, admiring april and listening to her little coos.

published june 26 2020
i had no idea how to finish this, and halfway through i kind of gave up, but i hope you still like it<3