doctor visit ; e

inspired by naturedols 'doctor visit' <3

today is the day that i have been dreading ever since ethan and i brought our new baby girl home. the first doctor visit.

she has to get at least two shots, and i already know how it's going to go. she's going to scream and cry, i might cry too. just the thought of my baby in pain makes my heart break.

"y/n, it's time to get up." ethan's groggy morning voice spoke. "it's 8:15 and we have to leave here at 9 in order to be at the doctor's office on time." i groaned quietly, turning over so my back was facing ethan.

he leaned over me, moving some hair out of my face. i held on to the covers tightly, not wanting to go or even get out of bed.

"baby, i know that you don't want to go, but we have to, okay? i promise josie will be okay." i sighed, slowly getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom without even glancing at ethan.

i took a quick shower, even though i wanted to stay in there forever. once i got dried off and put my clothes on, i walked back into the room.

ethan was hovering over josie on our bed, talking to her quietly, but loud enough that i could hear.

"mommy is very nervous for today, and i guess i am too. so, when she gets back in here, we are gonna try to calm her down together, okay?" josie just babbled back to her daddy, making ethan chuckle.

i walked over to the both of them just as he picked her up.

"hi baby!" i spoke in my 'baby voice', as everyone does. josie kept talking in  her baby language, making me smile.

after we all ate breakfast together, josie had her bottle of course, we got in the car and left for the doctor's office.

we finally arrived, my hands sweaty and my heart racing. ethan noticed my worry and set his hand on my thigh.

"don't worry 'bout it. everything's gonna be fine." i nodded, glancing back to our daughter in her rear-facing carseat.

ethan got her out and carried her inside, handing her over to me as he signed her in.

we waited in the waiting room for a couple minutes until the doctor finally called us back.

"hi, i'm doctor johnson, but you can call me hannah. it's nice to meet you." she shook our hands politely, ethan and i introducing ourselves as we did so.

"and you must be josie!" she exclaimed as she crouched down to be face to face with josie. "you are just a cutie, aren't you?" she tickled josie, making a tiny giggle erupt from her lips.

"alright, mom, if you could just sit up here with josie so i can check her temperature, breathing, and heart." i got up from the chair and sat on the table.

hannah did the basics before explaining that i would want to hold josie tightly, since she was about to do the shots.

"i'm gonna do both super quick so just, hold tight. alright josie, i'm gonna wipe off your leg." i looked over at ethan, who gave me a reassuring look.

my grip tightened on josie when i saw hannah grab the needles. i closed my eyes, patiently waiting for the cries.

and they came fast.

"okay all done!" hannah put the band-aids on her leg and i stood up, slightly bouncing in an attempt to calm josie.

"i know baby, i know." ethan walked closer to us, wrapping his arm around me.

after a long while, her crying ceased and she fell asleep in my arms.

we left the office, heading home. once at home i put josie down for a nap in our bed, ethan and i laid down beside her.

"you were very strong baby." his hand rested on my waist, drawing small circles on it with his thumb. i smiled, looking down at our babygirl, sleeping soundly.

"so was she." he leaned down and kissed her head before leaning over josie to kiss me.

"i'm proud of you babe. i love you."

"i love you."

published june 30 2020