Knight x reader

Requested by Stronkmonstur679, hope you like it!
Note: as gender wasn't specific, reader will use they/them on this one.

They couldn't tear their eyes apart from Knight as he trained. How his moves were quick and precise, how confident he looked...he almost seemed like a different cookie, the opposite of the one they had grown up with. It was funny how different they were, but how good they had got along all those years.

Their eyes met for a small second, and they quickly looked back to their task as their cheeks turned red. "Even if we are still friends and serve the same king... I don't have any chance. He is the princess' knight and I'm a simple gardener" they thought, letting out a sigh as they continued planting the new roses. But they knew it was just a cheap excuse. Their crush on their childhood friend had been there for a few years, but they wouldn't dare reveal their feelings to the knight. Not when he looked at the princess the way he did anyways.
No, they decided it was for the best to just...never talk about those feelings and just be happy to be his friend. They just wanted him to be happy, even if it was with another cookie at his side.

They looked up again a few minutes later as they heard a small giggle, just in time to see the princess whispering something to her trusted knight. His cheeks turned red as the princess giggle, and they felt something breaking a bit inside them.
"No..." they thought as they tried real hard not to cry, even when the princess took him by the hand, quickly pulling the knight away, "this...is for the best. He will be happier with her than with me".

They tried their hardest but as the day passed it became more and more difficult. It seemed the universe had a weird sense of humor, and they found the two of them a few times during the day. Every time they just forced a smile on their face and went away quickly, even ignoring Knight's calls behind their back. And at the end of the day, they couldn't bear it anymore. That's how they found themselves in a secluded spot in the garden that night, legs pulled to their chest as silent tear fell from their eyes.

A branch snapping and a voice cursing softly made them look up in surprise. They didn't expect anyone to be in that spot.

"W-who is there?" They asked, hatting how broken their voice sounded as they spoke. Their eyes opened as Knight come into their view. "No no no no no…" they thought in panic, quickly raising from the ground. Of all cookies, it had to be Knight the one discovering them.

"(Y/N), wait!" Knight said as they turned around, just as he had been saying all day. And, for some reason, they stopped that time.

"(Y/N) please...you had been avoiding me all day. What's wrong?" He said with a soft voice behind their back.

"I...nothing is wrong Knight. I'm fine. You should go rest" they said with a soft voice as tears threatened to fall again.

"No you are not, I know you. Please...look at me" Knight said as he approached them, putting his hand on their shoulder. But the cookie refused to turn around. They stayed in silence for a few seconds that seemed eternal to them until Knight sighed.

"At least...let me cheer you up. I...I got you something" he said behind them, his voice nervous at the end. It made them curious, and they found themselves nodding. Knight let out a relieved sight as he put his hand back.

"Alright just...just close your eyes and turn around" he said with a soft voice, and they did as he said. A sweet fragrance hit them as they turned around.

"Okay...open your eyes now" Knight said with a nervous voice. They opened their eyes, and gasped in surprise at the sight. In front of them was Knight without his usual helmet, his hair moving gently with the night breeze. And on his hands was a big flower bouquet. Their favourite flowers.

"Knight I…" they said, not knowing what to say. It was...such a sweet gesture from him and they couldn't help but blush. The knight just smiled shyly and offered them the bouquet, which they took gratefully with a small smile.

"There...there is the smile I love" he said with a soft voice, and they felt their heart skip a beat for a moment. He took a small step forward, grabbing their free hand with a small smile. They looked into his blue eyes, getting lost of them for a moment.

"(Y/N)... You know I'm bad at expressing how I feel but I...I want you to know that I really like you. Had for a long time" he softly said as his face turned red. They blinked. They...they didn't just imagine that, right? It wasn't a weird dream or something...right?

"But...I thought you liked the princess…" they muttered, their gaze moving to look at the ground. But a hand on their cheek made them look up at the moment, and they found themselves looking again into those blue eyes.

"I don't. I'm sorry if it seemed like that but...she was only giving me advices. Of how to tell you well...this" he said with a small smile. A goofy smile formed on their face, and a few happy tears fell down their eyes.

"Hey don't cry, I'm sorry"Knight whispered as he dried some of their tears. They shocked their head, smile still on their face.

"No no is fine I just...I never thought you would return my feelings" they whispered, making the knight smile again. Without more words, they moved closer and closer. And their lips finally met.

And at that moment, they could confirm that they weren't dreaming