Chapter 51: Space

3rd person POV - Friday - 7:55 pm

Mark left hurt and broken. He didn't know how to process what happened. He thought of many scenarios, many possibilities. But he never thought that Jenny would remember him, but only remember the bad parts.

It felt like he had to start from scratch all over again. Everything he did, to rebuild their relationship, it vanished. The moment she said Namsan Park, he felt it was over.

As he lied in bed and stared blankly at the ceiling all he could think of is why. Why is that her last memory? Why couldn't she at least remember we made up? Why did this have to happen? Why do I feel like, every time I make progress with her, it goes to ruin? Why?

The idea he had to explain everything all over again. The drunk kiss, the black mail and basically everything that was hard to explain to begin with. He had to talk about them again.

The way Jenny looked at him in the hospital, it was imprinted in his mind. The look of distrust and discomfort. It was a look he thought he'd never have to see again.

A part of him wished that she completely forgot him instead. Even if the good was forgotten at least the bad memories went away too. It was a bad wish, but he rather have that and start completely over, than start at a point that was too messy and complicated.

Whilst Mark continued to go over them same thoughts, Mr. and Mrs. Seo were getting the details of their daughter's condition.

"Mr. and Mrs. Seo, it looks like your daughter is suffering dissociative amnesia," Dr. Kim explained towards Mr. and Mrs. Seo, "due to the trauma and stress of the injury she experienced. It seems her brain blocked recent memories that's associated to hurt or pain. Based on what Betty shared with me, she went through a lot of stress before going to Jeju," Mr. and Mrs. Seo glance at each other as they continued to listen, "but no worries. Her memories will eventually come back. I do advise she's given space to process everything, right now she is not aware of this situation. I'll let you two explain it to her, in the meantime we will keep her here for a few more days for observation."

Jenny's POV - 8:01 pm

"You're saying I'm in a hospital because I got kidnapped?" I stared at Betty who explained a very detailed and scary story about me, "You have to be joking, I mean - how does that make sense? If something big like that happened. Shouldn't I remember? That's ridiculous!" I took in a deep breath feeling annoyed.

"Jen -" my parents came in before Betty could finish what she was about to say.

"Betty, let us talk to her," Mom said and Betty sighed but then walked out of the room. I saw a glimpse of her tearing up before she left.

"Mom, Dad, it's good to see you!" I greeted and they gently gave me a hug.

"We're happy to see you too," Mom placed a soft kiss on my forehead, "we talked with your doctor," she glanced at Dad.

"And he said that you're suffering from dissociative amnesia. It means stressful or hurtful memories that happened, is blocked out of your memory," Dad held my hand and gave it a light squeeze for reassurance, "but don't worry with a lot of rest and with time, you'll eventually get your memories back."

"I really don't get it, I feel fine," I said and then Mom held my other hand, "if that's true. Why did I forget? What did I forget?"

"Don't pressure yourself, the memories will come back," Dad said firmly with a small smile, "let's focus on your recovery."