Chapter 89: Countdown

Sunday - 10:37 pm

Betty and I arrived home from having a girls night out with Nia and Mei. We watched a movie, ate dinner and sang karaoke.

"I can't believe they got us gifts," I said as I placed the gift bag - Nia and Mei gave me - on the floor. I proceed to take off my shoes and coat.

"Well, at least you got them gifts. I feel bad I didn't get them anything," Betty said as she took off her shoes and coat too, "they just found out I was here and they immediately thought of getting me a gift. I'm really glad Renjun and Jeno are dating such sweet girls."

"Me too. I'm amazed how well they've kept their relationship hidden from the media," I said and Betty nodded her head. We both walk into the living room with the gift bags we received, "Do you want hot choco?" I asked as I placed my gift bag down on the coffee table and walked to the kitchen.

"I'd like that," Betty said as she walked me to the kitchen. "I'll get the mugs," she said as I grabbed the chocolate powder and marshmallows from the pantry. I placed it down on the kitchen counter.

I heard her place the Christmas mugs down on the kitchen counter. "By the way, I wasn't able to ask earlier," Betty spoke as I grabbed the electric kettle to put water in it.

"What's up?" I asked as water poured from the dispenser.

"You and Mark, set boundaries right?" She asked and I had enough water.

I walk over to place the electric kettle on the heating element and turned it on to start boiling. I turn to face Betty for a moment, "Yeah," I said and walked over the counter sink to grab a teaspoons.

"I didn't want to comment about how you interacted with each other on Christmas day, because you seemed really happy while telling me about your date," Betty spoke as I started scooping chocolate power into the mugs, "but then yesterday when we were at Johnny's apartment. You two seemed cozy. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just concerned that you're being carried away because of the holiday spirit. What happens when New Year comes and the days after? Will you two just go back to how things were?"

I stared at the mugs as I processed her words, "I need sugar," I said walking to get the jar of sugar and placing it down on the kitchen counter, "I haven't really thought about that," I said as scooped sugar and place it in the mugs. "But you're right," I sighed and looked up at her, "were we really cozy?" I asked.

"A little," she gestured with her index finger and thumb, "but that's just my opinion. I understand that you two are comfortable with each other and it must be hard to set boundaries, I just don't want anything bad to happen," she explained and I nodded.

I walked over to the electric kettle and brought it to the mugs, "I get it. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll think about it," I said as I poured the hot water into the mugs, "can you get the almond milk from the fridge?" I asked as I only poured half into the mug.

"Almond? Please tell me you have cow milk too," she whined.

"You should really switch to almond," I shook my head, "but yes," she smiled and brought out two sets of milk. "Thanks, by the way I think I left my phone in my coat. Could you get it? I told Johnny I'd text once I'm home," I said pouring almond milk in my mug.

"Sure," she said and walked out of the kitchen. Once I was sure she was gone I poured almond milk in her mug as well. Hopefully, she doesn't notice the difference.