p r o l o g u e

prologue

It was another extremely lively night of December in Los Angeles, California

It was another extremely lively night of December in Los Angeles, California. It has always been especially loud in the neighborhood where Song Areum and two of her best friends lived. She moved out of her South Korean Aunt's family home when she was turning 16, her aunt's family moved to San Francisco after a year and it wasn't like her aunt has a lot to say about her taking the path of independence.

Her own parents sent her away in the first place—in accordance to her own pleading, of course. She'd always been like that. Selfish, self-proclaimed worthy and a bit of a stubborn mess. She had a good life, back in South Korea, where her family resides. Only it wasn't the life she wanted, so to her, it was barely living.

When she turned 16, she was already studying a Pre-Med course with her best friend Luke Bellford, who happened to be four years older than her. She had met him in Senior Year of High School, when she moved to Los Angeles in the middle of the semester. Along with Luke was Jana Dejaeger who soon became the only girl Areum could stand. . . or had gotten used to being with. Either way, she learned to be fond of Jana that they became best friends and had been living together with Luke in the same apartment for five years now.

Both were a couple years older than her but they never treated her like an outcast. Luke was essentially fond of her wit—the only reason why people seem to talk to her was because she was smart and accelerated. In every part of her life, she was always a few steps forward from where she should be. It wasn't customary to what deemed to be acceptable to society and she thought leaving her hometown might give her what she was looking for—whatever it was. But how could she? Her life wasn't wired to be normal.

"I got you fake ID," Jana, the red-haired girl sat down on her bed, crossing her legs before pulling onto the hem of the short red velvet dress she was wearing.

Areum adjusted her thick eyeglasses and paused the video of Cholecystectomy surgery she was watching as a part of her advanced class material in Med School. She then turned to Jana, a blank expression drawn on her face.

"You're a bad influence," she reminded her before resuming the video. Disregarding the presence of her best friend in the room.

"It's still a year until you're 21, I can't wait that long! You need to get out of here, I know I do!" But Jana always went out.

Areum reached for her worn-out earphone, hoping it would help dismiss the sound of her best friend's whine in her ears.

Jana liked to party, drink and dance or just. . . live life to the fullest. Areum on the other hand was an uptight hypocrite, she always felt like she has something to prove—being the youngest in everything, all eyes on her, watching her closely until she makes a mistake—it was neither a pain or a burden, Areum saw it as a challenge. She must never make a single mistake or it's over, so she works hard to earn what she gets. . . she was raised to always win.