Everything will be alright

I'm sorry in advance, let me know if you humans want a part two

Trigger Warnings: Mentions smoking, Cancer, character coughs up blood

It all started the day Connor got one of the worse migraines in his life.

He was off that day, thank god, but he ended up barely getting out of their room. It felt like his skull was trying to break through his head, but since he rarely ever had migraines, he pushed it off. As days passed, they became more and more frequent, some not as bad, others bringing excruciating pain.

Then came a horrid cough and chest pains, the times where Connor felt like he could hardly breathe. No matter what he was doing, sleeping, working, even just laying down with Evan, he would go into violent coughing fits.

And just a few weeks later, all of that was still happening, but now, Connor was getting winded easier and easier. Evan had asked him to get this looked at many times, but it wasn't until tonight Connor agreed.

The couple was laying down in bed watching The Office for the millionth time when he began to go into another fit, this one being one of the most violent. Evan placed his hand on his back and waited for him to stop, but once he did, Evan panicked at what he saw.

"O-Oh my god, Connor, look!"

Connor looked down and saw a few drops of blood on the sleeve he had coughed into.

"Connor, you're coughing up blood, that's not good! Please, can we go to the doctor in the morning like I've been saying? I'm scared."

He looked down, his shoulders trembling in fear. "Yeah, okay, we'll go tomorrow."

He shut off the tv and kissed his lover goodnight. Connor wrapped his arm around Evan and felt him snuggle into his side. There was a pit of nerves sitting in his stomach that kept him up for a few hours before finally getting to sleep.

The next morning as they pulled into the hospital parking lot, the two laced hands while they walked in. To say both were anxious was an understatement, Connor felt like his heart was going to pound out of his chest. And to make things worse, his headache was back.

They met with Dr. McConnell, who ordered an MRI for Connor, along with the routine checkup and examining his breathing. They told him about his headaches and chest pains, all the coughing fits, and how he was beginning to cough up blood.

After the doctor sent them on their way, neither Connor nor Evan heard back until about ten days later, when Connor got the most devastating call of his life.

"Hello?"

"Hello, may I speak to Connor Murphy?"

"This is him." Connor tensed, sitting up straight on the edge of their bed.

"Oh, hello, Mr. Murphy. I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. We've looked at your results, and I'm sorry to say that you have stage 1 lung cancer, though we were lucky enough to catch it early on."

The whole room began to spin, his world crashing down, and his heart dropping to his stomach. He was just told he had the one-word people feared to speak. But it wasn't cancer he was afraid of, he was scared for Evan.

Evan, his rock, his everything. If he was going to die, what would happen to him?

"Is this curable? You said it's only stage one, that's good, right?"

"Well, it's better than being at a later stage, and yes, this is curable. Would you be able to meet with me tomorrow to discuss treatments?"

"Y-Yeah, sure, I'll see you then, Dr. McConnell."

He hung up the phone, but after that simple motion, he couldn't move. He could feel the tears running down his face, but he didn't make a sound, he couldn't.

He knew he should have tried to quit smoking a while ago, he knew that would've been the right thing, but he didn't, and look where he ended up. They were going to have to waste their money on treatments.

Connor didn't know how long he sat there, it could have been nothing more than a moment, or it could've been a few hours, but when he heard Evan walk into the house after coming home from work, he knew he was going to have to tell him.

"E-Evan?" He cried out.

"Connor? Where are you? What's wrong?"

Evan ran to each room, searching for his lover until finding him, shaking with sobs and staring at the ground in their bedroom.

"Baby, what happened?" He questioned, wrapping his arm around Connor.

"Dr. McConnell called me back, he said I have stage 1 lung cancer."

Just like Connor, his whole world came crashing down. Evan couldn't feel what his hand was placed in anymore, and tears rimmed his eyes, threatening to spill.

"Hey, baby, look at me," he took Connor's hand in his while Connor faced him slightly, though still avoiding eye contact, "we can get through this together, and I'll be right by your side until the very end when we beat this fucker." Evan frowned when Connor didn't laugh at his attempts to make him crack at least the tiniest smile.

"But, Evan, what if I don't beat this?"

"Don't think like that, Connor, we have to be hopeful. You can beat this, I know it."

Connor threw his arms tight around him and held him close, sniffling and letting the tears fall into Evan's shoulder.

"It'll be alright, baby, everything will be alright."

Hey humans, I'm sorry for the angst, but let me know if you want a part two. Also, feel free to skip this next part. I love you all ❤️

Dedication:
Alright, so, none of you have to read this, but this is just a dedication (they can see that, Bee) to my great uncle Pat who passed away from stage four pancreatic cancer about a year ago. I've had this idea for a while, but it took me this long to actually write it, and even writing it was hard. I know he's watching over me and my family, and I just wanted to use this to remember him.
Thanks for reading this (if you did)

I love you all❤️
Love, Bee