That Feburary Day

OKAY LOOK IM SORRY ABOUT ALL THE ANGST I PROMISE THE NEXT ONE WILL FLUFF

Today was one of the hardest days for the Hansens. Nineteen years ago today, a U-HAL truck had pulled into the driveway of Evan's childhood home, and took his father away.

Since his father left when he was only seven, it didn't affect him as much as it did Heidi, but as he got older, the day hit him harder each year.

Now, after being with Evan for some time, Connor recognized a pattern that happened every year.

First, he would wake up, make himself a cup of tea, and walk back into their room without saying a word. He'd just want to be alone for an hour or two but after that, he craved physical affection, so, after giving him some space, they'd just lay together and cuddle.

And today was that February day.

Connor was up early after barely sleeping at all because of his insomnia, so when he heard the door to their room creak open, he knew what exactly was to come.

He offered his husband a smile as he went to the kitchen to brew his tea, but Evan didn't return it. He left immediately after fixing his morning drink and shut the door to then bedroom behind him.

Connor picked up his book from the coffee table and started reading to pass the time, but stopped when he heard Evan start to cry. The sound of it made Connor's heart shatter into a million pieces.

The time seemed to pass slowly for Connor. He waited for what seemed like forever, which was only an hour and a half, until he thought it was okay to go check on his acorn.

He grabbed a box of Puffs tissues from under the bathroom sink and gently knocked on the door.

He found Evan with his knees tucked under his chin, his eyes were red and puffy from the tears that rolled down his cheeks.

"Hi, honey." He whispered, wrapping his arms around him. He pressed a kiss into the back of his head. "Baby, you know what, you are so strong. You can get through any shit life throws at you, and I love you, so much."

Evan laid back into Connor's arms and Connor squeezed him tighter. He wiped the tears off his cheeks and began humming a familiar tune.

You are my sunshine.

When the song came to an end, Evan turned around and placed his head in the crook of Connor's neck.

"Thank you for helping me get through this."

"Of course, baby boy, anything for the love of my life."

Even though there were bad days, that didn't mean there couldn't be good ones too. And if there were bad days, that didn't mean they could make them good ones.

I needed to post today and I'm tired so here you go. It's pretty good so take it.
Also, don't feel like double checking it again so if there's typos I can fix it tomorrow.
Love you humans!