Whumptober day 4: Hidden injury

Hello everyone!! Sorry I've fallen behind, I've been trying to prioritize my mental health and a pause was desperately needed. But, day four is finally here!

TW: Bleeding, Stab wounds, mentions of past drinking problems

Of all the ways Evan imagined his night going, he was not expecting 'receive a call from your boyfriend— who sounds fucked up beyond belief— crying that he doesn't know where he is and asking you to find and pick him up' to be one of them.

But, alas, here he was, driving downtown on the phone with a distraught Connor, desperately trying to spot his weeping boyfriend.

"Where are you? Do you know what street?"

"I... I don't know. It's too dark to see... anything,"

"Okay, well, can you describe your surroundings?"

It went silent on the other end, skyrocketing Evan's anxiety beyond belief. As he waited for the red light to change, Connor's voice finally came through once more.

"Wall. A wall. I'm sitting against a wall... I think? There's..." Connor paused, sounding as if he was trying to take in his surroundings, "there's a light across the r-road. Mailbox..."

Just as the words left Connor's mouth, Evan could see a figure sitting against a brick wall, across from a mailbox and street lamp. The shadows over the man blended in with the clothing they were wearing, but as he squinted, Evan realized who that figure was.

Connor.

"I see you, don't move."

Pulling over, Evan parked as quickly as he could and jumped out, sprinting across the road to his boyfriend.

As he crouched down next to him, he saw a bruise plastered on Connor's left cheek, and a small cut towards his hairline. His eyes were half-closed, eyelids sagging down as he gave Evan a small grin.

"Connor! Oh god, C-Connor, are you- are... are you okay? What happened? What do you need? Shit, am I hurting you? I'm sorry, I can—"

"Ev, I'm fine, really. I just... got lost?" Connor shrugged, but Evan could smell his bullshit from miles away.

"You're an awful liar, Connor," He scolded, tucking a strand of his lover's long hair behind his ear. But, Evan knew better than to push; if Connor didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't make him.

Connor tried to lean into the touch, but instead, began to fall forward, thankfully slow enough so Evan had time to catch him.

"Wanna go home," Connor mumbled into Evan's shoulder, tears dampening the sleeve of his shirt as they fell.

"Okay... okay. I'm going to need to lift you, okay? Let me know if I'm hurting you," Connor nodded, half asleep.

Evan shifted his position so that as he stood up, he could easily slip his arm around Connor's waist and help walk him back to their car.

"One... two... three!"

The two rose to their feet, Connor teetering backward before leaning all his weight into Evan's grasp. "I've got you, you're okay, Connor, you're okay,"

Evan started leading his boyfriend back towards his car, his arm snaking around Connor's waist to support him as he took each step.

He honestly did not think much of this event; all Evan thought was that Connor had simply had too much to drink and it fucked with his sense of reality, something that had happened in the past while Connor struggled to turn over a new leaf.

But this was like no other night, and Evan didn't realize that until his hand began feeling warm and wet; like something had spilled on it.

At first, he paid no attention to it, assuming his hands were just sweaty from the godawful anxiety that consumed him, but as the feeling continuously grew worse, Evan glanced down at his palm.