Gay cakes

Hey humans! So, if you didn't see my mb post, I'm using today to catch up on all the updates I missed this week, so this was the oneshot that was supposed to be up on Monday. Enjoy!

"Are we seriously doing this?" Evan asked, rolling his eyes in amusement as he walked through the open door and into the Murphy's home. Then, realizing how rude he must have sounded, widened his eyes and quickly tried to correct his mistake. "Not that I don't want to do this, I'm sorry that- that sounded so rude, I want to, I just-"

"Ev, honey," Connor grabbed his boyfriend's hand after placing the bags of groceries on the kitchen counter, "breathe. You're okay, you didn't sound rude and you did nothing wrong, okay?" Evan nodded, placing his plastic bag of ingredients next to the others.

The two high schoolers had decided that to celebrate the all exciting pride month, they were going to bake a cake, but not any cake: a rainbow layered cake, or what Connor dubbed a gay cake. They had thought about doing the bisexual colors but had changed their minds at the last second.

So, while Connor opened his Pinterest app and began searching for the recipe, Evan started taking everything out of the bags and lining them up while double-checking they had everything.

"Alright, Ev, can you grab the cake pans and spray them? This way I can go preheat the oven," He nodded and did as his lover asked, uncapping the spray and layering the cake pans, this way the cake wouldn't stick.

After, Evan and Connor stood side by side at the counter once again, looking over the recipe that was pulled up on Connor's phone. Evan placed a large mixing bowl in front of them, and in the larger one, they dropped in the cake mix, oil, eggs, and water, then using their electric hand mixer to beat everything all together.

Then, after Connor decided to stream Spotify through a Bluetooth speaker they had brought into the kitchen, the two divided the batter equally into six smaller bowls and added food coloring into each of them; one bowl getting red, one getting orange, the third one getting yellow, the forth getting green, and the last two getting blue and purple.

"Okay, Connor, there are only three pans that are the same size, so let's put the first three colors in pans and get them in the oven and we can just freeze the other three," Evan grinned, taking charge of the activity, making Connor nod as his heart swelled with love.

While Evan poured the first three batters into cake pans and got them into the oven, the taller male grabbed the other three batter-filled bowls and placed them in the fridge.

"Now what?" Connor asked once everything was set where they needed to be, music still coming through the speaker and whirling around the room. "We have like twenty minutes till those come out and we have to let them cool, so..."

The older one stuck his hand out in front of Evan, a smile gently gracing his lips as he stared into his boyfriend's gleaming eyes. Evan, pushing back his sandy curls, placed his hand on top of his lovers, letting out a squeak as Connor twirled him suddenly, a blush tinted his cheeks and ears turning pink.

"You're such a dork,"

"Yeah, the dork you chose to fall in love with, mind you,"

The two danced around the room, laughing and singing along to the random Panic! At The Disco song obnoxiously loud, a band Evan had grown to love just as much as his boyfriend did. They could feel themselves getting lost in the music, only being able to focus on the sound and each other; like nothing else in the world mattered.

In the middle of 'Victorious,' a small, piercing sound rang through the room, alerting the two idiots-in-love that the first half of their dessert was done and ready to be taken out to cool. They broke apart for the moment only to take the pans out of the oven, place them on cooling racks, briefly wash the used cake pans, and get the rest of the batter in and set them in the oven.

Once the second set of batters were cooked, they set those three on cooling trays and began preparing their frosting and the rainbow sprinkles they had purchased. Evan, knowing more about baking than Connor did, showed him how to cut off the tops of the cakes to make them flat and easier to stack, how to spread the frosting evenly between the different layers, and before they knew it, they had a rainbow cake with vanilla buttercream and rainbow sprinkles.

"Aww, Con, it looks so good, doesn't it?"

"It looks amazing, Evan," Connor wrapped his arm around his boyfriend's shoulder, "we did a great job,"

The couple sat in a comfortable silence for some time, staring at what they had created, thankfully without burning the Murphy's house down. Then, Connor loosened his grip on his lover and moved his way over to the staircase that led to the second floor, where Zoe was stationed up in her room with her girlfriend.

"Zoe! Alana! The gay cake is ready if you guys want some!"

Barely even a second later, the two heard a door slam open and two sets of footsteps began running down the hallway and the stairs, making themselves visible to the two boys.

"We heard there was food," Alana panted, extremely out of breath.

"Give me the gay cake Connor and nobody gets hurt,"

Laughing at his sister and his friend's antics, Connor gestured for the two to come in and grabbed four plates, cutting each of them a slice of dessert and handing it out. As Zoe mumbled a quick thank you, the four dug into their cake, humming in delight at how delicious it had come out.

It wasn't much, but that was what they had, and none of them would trade it for the world.

I hope you liked this little piece of fluff, and I love you all!!