A fathers love

Alright, we're bringing out supportive Larry and non-binary Connor for this oneshot! This isn't very treebrosy (totally a word), but I had this idea so why not. Sorry this wasn't up yesterday, Wattpad IOS decided to be a jerk, so it's up now!

The sound of laugh tracks and sarcastic comments filled the room as the two young lovers laid in Connor's bed, giggling as they watched reruns of the old 90's tv show Friends. It was their favorite thing to do to unwind after long, obnoxious days of school.

Both teens had their backs leaned against the fluffed pillows set on Connor's bed, Evan's head leaned on their shoulder, finger twirling their long brown locks as he fixated his eyes on the screen in front of them, while Connor smiled to themselves as a warm feeling filling their stomach, a feeling only present with Evan's company.

As the episode began to come to an end, the bedroom door had swung open unexpectedly, making Evan and Connor flinch. As Larry appeared into the entryway, Connor darted their eyes towards him, giving him an odd look as they scrunched up their nose slightly in surprise.

"I- umm..." Larry cleared his throat, clearly unprepared for the situation he was in, "Evan, your mom is here, she just pulled in the driveway,"

"Oh, okay, thank you, Mr. Murphy," the young boy grinned, watching as his partner's father shut the door behind him as he walked out.

Evan, placing a kiss on Connor's cheek, began to stand up to grab his backpack and head downstairs to his mother, was stopped short by Connor's arm holding him down, a cute, innocent laugh following quickly after. "Con, I need to get up, my mom is here,"

"Nope, you're mine,"

After struggling to wiggle out of his lover's grip for just a few moments, Connor gave in and released their boyfriend out of their warm embrace, watching as Evan slung his backpack over his shoulder and wished his significant other goodbye, walking downstairs to greet his mother.

Connor, sighing, the space next to them feeling larger than it ever had. They untangled themselves out of the blanket that had been laid on top of both of them and strolled over to the window, moving the curtains and watching as Heidi and Evan backed out of the driveway and drove off.

A sharp knock interrupted Connor's thoughts and snapped them out of their trance. They turned around and twisted the doorknob, glancing Larry up and down, confused by why he would be in the doorway once again. To talk to them? Why would he voluntarily talk to them? It's not like they're close at all anymore.

"Wow, twice in ten minutes, to what do I owe this pleasure?" They asked, leaning their body on the doorframe.

"Please, Connor, can we just talk?" Connor could see the pain in their father's eyes as he pleaded.

The teen rolled their eyes and stepped to the side, allowing Larry to walk in and quietly mumble an awkward thanks. It had been so long since Larry had walked into his child's room without a grievance or reason to lecture them. The room looked foreign to the man; books were strewn about on shelves, posters from different musicals and emo bands, it was all so different.

"So is there something that you needed to say or was that just an excuse to criticize my room?" Connor could feel the walls they had worked so hard slowly break down tower over once again, their defensive side taking control.

Larry sighed, sitting on the stool by Connor's dresser and running his hands through his graying hair. "Connor, look, I know that I haven't been the best father these past few years and I'm still trying to get used to this whole bisexual and non-binary thing, but I'm trying. You don't understand what it's like to grow up one way for all of your life and then have your so- your kid throw all these new things at you. I just hope that you can see I'm trying and I haven't made it very clear, but I... I love you. I'm your father, that's not going to change."

Silence fell over the room as Larry finished rambling off his speech. The older male had glued his eyes to the floor as if to look at anything but Connor, and all Connor could do was process what they had just heard.

"Dad?"

Larry's head snapped up faster than he'd ever like to admit to anyone and seeing the little smile that was starting to spread their lips upwards made his heart skip a beat. "Yes, Connor?"

"Umm... thank you,"

Connor and Larry rose from where they had been sitting and made their way towards each other, Connor going in for a pat on the back while Larry had intended a hug, but both pulled away and tried again, this time both being on the same page with the hugs, although it felt more awkward than words could describe.

As Larry informed them that dinner would be ready soon and trotted back downstairs, Connor slowly shut the door and released the door lock, hearing the ping as it was released from their hand. While no one was around to hear it, and even if there was, it was far too quiet for someone to pick up, but there was a small 'love you too' that had come from the teen.

A week had passed since the father-child encounter, leaving both father and child slightly anxious about each interaction the two had with each other. It was finally the weekend and both Murphy children adored sleeping in until later in the morning, knowing neither of their parents our bother them.

After feeling themselves start to wake up, Connor rolled over in bed and grabbed their phone off the nightstand, and checked the time. After seeing it was just past nine-thirty in the morning, they smiled contently to themselves. As Connor shifted in bed and went to sit up, they felt something large and hard at the end of their bed.

Confused, they snatched the package and took it into their lap, tearing off the slip of paper with their name on it. They ripped the packing tape off and threw it in the trash can beside their desk, which was set up just to the side of their bed. Once the box was opened, they undid the cardboard flaps and saw what was contained inside.

The first thing they saw was a piece of fabric with blue, pink, and purple stripes on it.

The next item placed underneath that was the same piece of cloth, this time with yellow, white, black, and purple colored strips. 

Somebody had gotten them pride flags, and they knew exactly who it was.

Suddenly, they were hit with the delicious scent of breakfast wafting through the air. Connor pushed the comforter off themselves and set the box on the desk beside them, smirking as they caught a glimpse of it one last time before heading out.

"Morning, sweetie," Cynthia smiled as she watched her child come down the stairs, dressed in an oversized hoodie and sweatpants with a bad case of bedhead.

"Morning, mom. Morning, dad,"

Upon hearing his name called out, Larry glanced up from his emails, his eyes meeting Connor's. Larry was seated at the table, fresh-brewed coffee sitting in front of him, while Cynthia was finishing pouring the pancake batter on the griddle.

While Connor pulled out a chair from underneath the table and sat down, turning it towards their father, they wrapped their arms around him and squeezed Larry tightly, catching the older male off guard. It took a second for Larry to process the embrace, but once he did, he dropped his phone next to his plate and returned the gesture to his child.

"Thank you," Connor whispered, just loud enough for the father to hear. With a nod and a small back pat, Larry pulled away, cheeks tinted pink as he tried to hide his proud smile.

Unbeknownst to her husband and child, Cynthia had been watching the entire interaction closely, heart fluttering as she recognized Larry's attempts to make amends with Connor. Yes, he had needed an extra push in the right direction, but the look Connor had that morning, the one Cynthia had not seen in far too long, made it all worth it.

Her family was starting to come back together for the first time in years, and that was the only thing she could wish for.

Heyy! So, sorry this one wasn't focused on Treebros, but I thought this was cute! Also yeah Ik the title is bad, I think we've learned by now I'm bad with titles. Hope you enjoyed, love you all! ❤️