Only us

Alright, the only us photo is up! This will be a songfic, so be warned. Also, I'm very sorry for hurting my tree baby.

Trigger Warnings: suicidal thoughts, self-hate, talks about wanting to die, past suicide attempt

I don't need you to sell me on reasons to want you

"C-Connor, I think we should break up,"

Connor's jaw dropped to the floor, trying to process the words that just came out of his lover's mouth.

I don't need you to search for the proof that I should

Evan had been acting off all day, and when Connor was invited to their home after school, he seemed even more distant. He had barely spoken to Connor that day, and if this was the reason, Connor would be heartbroken.

"What, why? What did I do? Whatever I fucked up I swear I can fix it, Evan, please, give me one more chance. Just tell me and-"

"Connor, stop. You didn't do anything, it's because of me." He glued his gaze to his bedroom's hardwood floor as he trembled.

You don't have to convince me

"What do you mean 'because of you'?"

You don't have to be scared you're not enough

"It's just... it's just you deserve so much better than me. You deserve someone beautiful and smart, someone, who doesn't have a panic attack over having to do a class presentation, someone who isn't an anxious fuckup who can't do anything right!"

'Cause what we've got going is good

Evan screamed those last words as he began to sob. He frantically tried to wipe his eyes and nose before Connor thought any less of him. He felt a pair of warm hands wrap around his own hands, and pull him down onto the soft, navy blue comforter.

I don't need more reminders of all that's been broken

"Evan," he took the smaller boy in his arms, "none of that is true. You are beautiful, very intelligent, and you are in no way an anxious fuckup. You have anxiety, it's not your fault you get panic attacks."

"No," he shook his head, "no it is true. I'm just a loser who doesn't have any friends. I need to be fixed by meds and therapy, but that doesn't even work. Even it agrees with me." Evan was quick to put his hand over his mouth when he realized what he said.

I don't need you to fix what I'd rather forget
Clear the slate and start over

"What is 'it,' baby?" He asked, wiping away Evan's tears with his thumb.

Try to quiet the noises in your head

"It-Its this little voice in the back of my head. It tells me all the things that are wrong with me. And the worst p-part is-"

We can't compete with all that

He quickly shut his mouth and buried his face in Connor's shoulder. He rubbed his hand up and down his back and stroked his hair.

So what if it's us?
What if it's us
And only us

"Is what, sweetheart? I can't help you unless you tell me what's wrong,"

"The worst part is that sometimes it sounds like you," he mumbled, his voice quiet like a mouse.

And what came before won't count anymore or matter?

The only sound that could be heard was the sound of Connor's heart shattering into a million pieces.

Can we try that?

"Can you tell me what the voice says?"

What if it's you
And what if it's me
And what if that's all that we need it to be

"It was the one who told me to let go of the tree. It told me I was a burden to everyone around me, especially my mom. It said that if I just died, she wouldn't need to pay for anything anymore. She wouldn't need to overwork herself anymore,"

And the rest of the world falls away?

Connor gasped and held him close to his chest. He whispered soft, calming things into Evan's ear as he tried to get him to stop crying.

I never thought there'd be someone like you who would want me

"Baby, listen to me, alright? I need you to try and ignore that voice. I know It's hard, I know, but please just try. Focus on the real me, not me inside your mind."

So I give you ten thousand reasons to not let me go
But if you really see me
If you like me for me and nothing else
Well, that's all that I've wanted for longer than you could possibly know

Evan was silent for a while, except for the occasional sound of sobs and whimpering. Connor rocked him back and forth, holding him firmly in his bony arms.

So it can be us
It can be us
And only us
And what came before won't count anymore or matter
We can try that

"I'm sorry, Connor,"

It's not so impossible
Nobody else but the two of us here
'Cause you're saying it's possible
We can just watch the whole world disappear

"Evan-"

'Til you're the only one
I still know how to see
It's just you and me

"No! I'm a horrible person!"

It'll be us
It'll be us
And only us
And what came before won't count anymore
We can try that
You and me

"Hey," he lightly placed a kiss on his forehead, "you have nothing to be sorry for, you did nothing wrong, and you are not a horrible person. I love you, so much, never forget that."

That's all that we need it to be
And the rest of the world falls away
The world falls away

Connor couldn't always protect him, and he knew that. He knew they were both broken in some ways, but they could rebuild together, and that was all that mattered.

And it's only us

Hey humans! Sorry, this isn't the best, but this is also my first songfic. Love you all!