The feeling of drowning (part 1)

Ahh, the sweet sensation of writing angst. I can already hear Jazz (ernst-robel ) yelling at me in the comments. Also, I've hurt Evan too much, so now I'm gonna hurt Connor!

Flurries of snowflakes swirled to the ground in clumps that day, landing on their hats and jackets, and blanketing the ground in white that cold and crisp winter afternoon. Sounds of childish laughter and cheers filled the air, all of them coming from one certain group of friends.

The five of them had decided to spend the day ice skating at some lake nearby their dorms to pass the time, and each of them being decently good at the activity were having a great time. Jared, having taken lessons when he was younger, was skating circles around the couples, while Alana held onto her girlfriend for dear life and laughed as she did, and Evan held onto his lover's hands while they spun around together on the ice.

Everyone was having fun, but the thing they didn't realize was just how thin and brittle the ice was. While it wasn't thin enough for a sign to be put up, it still wasn't the sturdiest in the world.

In the middle of the grouped giggles and laughs, an ear-piercing scream rang through the air and heard a body slam onto the icy surface, followed by the sound of a crack. Everybody froze in their places, and turned their heads to the sound, and found Connor thrown against the ice, which had a giant crack running around him.

Terrified, Evan ordered the other three to step off the ice, to which they gladly did. While they retreated back to the white-blanketed grass, he focused his attention on Connor, whose face had turned as white as a bedsheet.

"Ev, help me, I'm scared," Connor's voice wavered as he held back tears.

"It's okay, you're going to be okay, I promise. Just listen to my voice. I need you to stand up as slowly and carefully as you can, alright?" His voice was calm and gentle, as if he was talking to a child.

As softly as he could, Connor rose to his feet, and raised his right one to take a step forward, but stopped dead in his tracks when he heard the ice begin to crack again.

"Hey, Connor, it's okay. Just be careful,"

He placed the silver blade of his skate on the ice, making the ice let out another frightening noise, earning a yelp from the taller male. Connor took his second step forward successfully with no trouble, but it was the "third times the charm" that did the trick. In one swift motion, the ice beneath him gave in, sending him down into the frigid water.

"Connor!" The four screamed as they watch him disappear under the surface.

Evan lunged forward towards the opening, and before he could hear anyone yell or protest, he dived in after him. He knew it wasn't the right thing to do, everyone knew that, but he wasn't thinking straight, and went with his gut reaction.

"Zoe,"' Jared ran his bony fingers through his hair, causing his hat to tip, "call 911, tell them what happened."

"Okay, got it," Zoe pulled out her phone and dialed as fast as her trembling fingers would allow.

Underwater, Evan held his breath as he swam as fast as his body would allow in the chilly lake, puffy jacket and scarf starting to slow him down just a touch. Merely seconds later, he saw a tall, lanky body floating close by, being dragged by the current. Pushing forward, Evan latched his hand onto Connor's jacket and pulled him into his grasp, holding him close to his chest.

He began attempting to turn himself around and swim back towards the opening, which was hard, due to the current going the opposite way, but soon enough he got there. Evan gripped the edge of the ice and pulled himself up, gasping for the breath that entered his lungs.

"Jared! 'Lana! Zoe!"

Alana and Jared raced towards the two boys while Zoe spoke to the emergency dispatcher on the other line, and pulled Evan and Connor up and out of the frigid lake, dropping them onto the thin surface and running off before any more of the frozen lake could crack and break.

"Ev, an ambulance is on its way, it should be heere in a few minutes. The woman said it's on Price street right now, and she said to try and keep Connor as warm as you can,"

As Zoe continued her conversation with the dispatcher, stopping occasionally to ask questions about Connor's condition to pass the answers off to the other line, Evan, Alana, and Jared removed their coats and scarves and placed them on the unconscious body in Evan's arms.

Evan cradled his lover close to his chest, placing small kisses along his hairline and wiping away his own tears before they traveled down his pink-tinted cheeks. "Everything is gonna be alright, love," he whispered into Connor's ear, "you'll be alright, I promise,"

The four knew Connor could survive this, he'd made it through worse things before. They knew he would be okay.

Or so they hoped.

Hey humans!! Sorry about the angst, part two will hopefully be out on Monday! Also, I just realized how little dialogue there is in the newer oneshots, so I'm very sorry about that, I just feel like the better my writing gets, the less dialogue there is. Anygays, I hope you enjoyed, and remember, I love you all so much! ❤️