Flower shop and tattoo parlor au!

*slides in shyly* Heyyy, sorry I've been so inactive on this book! I was on vacation and I haven't had time in all honesty, but heere I am!

It was nearing the end of June, which meant that Evan would be swamped with arrangement orders for graduations, prom, and the handful of other events that people insisted on buying flowers for. Evan couldn't complain though, the more people paid attention to his small shop the more he could earn for himself.

One particular day, he happened to glance up and watch as the owner of the tattoo parlor across the street walked towards his store and push open the door. As the bell rang the two locked eyes, glancing each other up and down.

"Good afternoon, how can- uh, how can I help you?" Evan grinned, cheeks turning pink as he stumbled over his words.

"I'm going to my sister and her girlfriends for dinner tonight and I thought it might be nice to bring something, but I know nothing about flowers, so do you happen to know what would look nice?"

The taller male brushed his bangs back off his face, leaning his elbow on the glass countertop as he waited for a response from the shop owner.

"Well," Evan snapped himself out of his trance, "I can give you some suggestions. There are red carnations for pride and love, hydrangeas for family love, and tulips for affection. I can make you a small bouquet if you'd like,"

"Yes," he nodded, letting out a sigh of relief and relaxing his shoulders, "that would be perfect. Thank you so much,"

After thanking his new customer, he ran to the side and gathered the flowers he would need to throw the bouquet together. He laid them in their plastic wrapping, tied them with a strip of ribbon, and handed it to the mystery man.

"This is beautiful, thank you again." He took the flowers and tucked them under his arm as he fished for his wallet, handing him the ten-fifty he owed Evan. "I'm Connor by the way, I own the tattoo parlor on the other side of the street,"

"Evan, nice to finally meet you. I hope your sister likes the flowers!" Evan called as Connor stepped out, glanced down at his watch, and ran back into the parlor.

There was something about him Evan couldn't quite put his finger on.

A month had passed after the interaction and about once or twice a week Connor would come in to ask if he could sketch some plants Evan had in the shop that day for references, to which Evan was always happy to let him do so. On those quiet days, he would station himself on the floor in front of his model flower and begin his drawing. On those days, Evan couldn't focus on his work. All his attention went to the boy with earbuds in listening to some musical, most of the time Newsies, his hair tied up in a bun, and drawing everything so beautifully down to the very last detail.

That was when Evan knew he was growing incredibly fond of this man.

"Evan!" Connor shouted, running into the shop and slamming his hands down on the counter, "How do you passive-aggressively say 'fuck you asshole' in flowers?"

While he tried to register what Connor's request was, he let a few giggles escape his lips, quickly gaining his composure afterward. "I mean there are geraniums for stupidity, foxglove for insincerity, meadowsweet for uselessness, yellow carnations for disappointment, and orange lilies for hatred, will that work?"

"That would be wonderful, Ev, thank you,"

"If you don't mind me asking," he started, not looking up from his flowers, "why do you need to passive-aggressively say 'fuck you asshole' in a bouquet?"

"They're for my dad after he pulled some shit at dinner last week. I'm on my way to their house now so I thought I'd take these with me. Thank you again,"

As Evan handed the arrangement over to Connor, their fingers interlocked for just a small moment, but that moment meant everything to him. He felt his heart beginning to beat out of his chest as Connor walked away.

Time passed and it became a week since Evan had officially felt that he was so deep in love with that man he was going to die at even the slightest amount of physical contact. The shop was quiet that day, only two or three people had stopped by and the rest of the time was spent by Evan completing his inventory while blasting the musicals Waitress and Newsies (which he will admit, he only got into because Connor insisted it was the best).

Out of the blue, the door swung open, revealing the same tall, dark-haired man Evan was head over heels for. Today, instead of his usual small and cheery grin, he seemed ecstatic.

"Ev! I need a bouquet urgently!"

The anxious boy poked his head around the doorway of the back room and strolled up to his workstation when he saw who was calling him. "What's the occasion?"

"Well, there's this guy I really like and I wanted to ask him out and I thought he'd like flowers, so, do you have anything for that?" He asked with hope in his eyes and a dopey grin on his face.

That's when Evan's heart shattered. At that moment, he realized that he'd never have his chance with Connor.

"Sure," he nodded, fighting off tears, "I can do red roses since that's one of the most iconic flowers for love, primroses, and tulips?"

"Great. Thank you, Ev,"

As Evan got to work grabbing each flower and wrapping them together the sound of Connor's fingers drumming on the countertop was muffled by the sound of Newsies blasting from his small portable speaker, which earned a compliment from Connor on his great music choice.

Once he was done, he gathered up the courage to face the other and handed him his arrangement and taking the ten-dollar bill in exchange. But, instead of thanking him and going on back to his parlor, as usual, Connor barely moved a muscle.

He was confused, to say the least, so after shooting him a quick puzzled look, he was taken aback when Connor shoved the bouquet he had just made in front of him as if giving them to him.

"Connor, what the hell are you doing?"

"They're for you, silly," he laughed, gesturing for Evan to take the flowers. "Evan Hansen, would you look to go to dinner with me tonight?"

His heart must have pieced back together because it felt like it was beating outside his chest. He couldn't breathe, and he felt like his face was on fire. Evan tried to answer, but he couldn't get the words out, he just stared at him with his jaw dropped to the floor.

"Yeah, I'd love to, Connor,"

Heyyy! Hope you liked this little take on the au and I love you all!! ❤️