In case you dont live forever

Italics: Evan's singing

"I'm gonna do awful, Con!"

Evan had gotten into their schools talent show, and five minutes before it started, he had began having second thoughts. While he loved singing and everyone had always complimented him on his voice, he still hated the way his voice sounded.

"Evan, trust me, you have nothing to be worried about, you have an amazing voice!" Connor tried to reassure him.

"But-"

"No buts! You got in, didn't you? And don't give me that 'everyone got in' bullshit, because you and I both know for a fact thirty kids tried out and only twenty-one got in, including you." The two heard the stage manager give a two minute warning. "I'm gonna go join the group, knock 'em dead, baby!" He ruffled his lovers chestnut hair and kissed his cheek before leaving him backstage with the other acts.

Evan knew that being the seventh act had its advantages and disadvantages. The good things was he would have time to try and relax before his turn, but not being the first one would mean that his mind would automatically compare himself to the other acts.

The four of them had watched singers, musicians, and a group doing a skit of a fairy tale gone wrong (which I actually did with my friends for our talent show two years ago), until the two hosts called a familiar name to the stage. A wave of applause was sent out from the audience.

"Umm, hi. Before I s-start, I just want to say that this is dedicated to m-my boyfriend, Connor." He looked till he spotted his friends in the center of the room.

The sound of a soft piano came over the speaker and bounced off the walls in the room.

You put all your faith in my dreams
You gave me the world that I wanted
What did I do to deserve you?

Connors jaw practically fell to the floor. Sure, he had heard his boyfriend sing before, but this song brought out the best of his voice.

I follow your steps with my feet
I walk on the road that you started
I need you to know that I heard you, every word.

I've waited way too long to say
Everything you mean to me

In case you don't live forever, let me tell you now
I love you more than you'll ever wrap your head around
In case you don't live forever, let me tell you the truth
I'm everything that I am because of you

The four sat in there seats, stunned by what they were hearing. Connor felt his heart sprout wings and flutter right out of his chest. While they were high notes, Evan had hit them perfectly, and his vibrato has made it even more beautiful. People had said that they had heard an angel, but this, the group thought, this was the true voice of an angel.

But Connor noticed this little half smile Evan gave the audience as he sang; like he heard the funniest thing in the world, but it's a secret and he can't tell anyone. But the way he smiled, it was almost like he was letting them in on the secret, too.

I, I've carried this song in my mind
Listen, it's echoing in me
But I haven't helped you to hear it
We, we've only got so much time
I'm pretty sure it would kill me
If you didn't know the pieces of me are pieces of you

I've waited way too long to say
Everything you mean to me

"Wow, he has a really good voice." Jared leaned over and whispered to Connor.

"Good?" Zoe asked, wiping her eyes, "His voice is fucking beautiful."

In case you don't live forever, let me tell you now
I love you more than you'll ever wrap your head around
In case you don't live forever, let me tell you the truth
I'm everything that I am because of you

I have a hero whenever I need one
I just look up to you and I see one
I'm a man 'cause you taught me to be one

As Evan hit that high note, he stuck his tongue ever so slightly. (Ben actually does this and its sooooo cute)

In case you don't live forever, let me tell you now
I love you more than you'll ever wrap your head around
In case you don't live forever, let me tell you the truth
I'm everything that I am

Whoa... whoa...
In case you don't live forever, let me tell you the truth
As long as I'm here as I am, so are you

He closed the song by hitting that last note perfectly. He felt himself hold his breath as the auditorium stayed silent, but just seconds after, cheers and applause rang through the small room.

Connor zoned out as the rest of the acts went by. He counted down the minutes until the show was over and once the final act left the stage, he bolted out of his seat and out to the hallway, waiting to congratulate his boyfriend.

"Evan!" He waved, trying to get his attention. He sprints over and jumps into Connor's arms. "Oh my god, Ev! You were amazing!"

Alana, Jared and Zoe turn the corner to catch up with the two unlikely lovers.

"You were great, Evan!" Alana praised, offering her usual cheerful smile.

"Yeah, dude, I didn't know you could sing. You were pretty great up there. You even made Zoe cry."

"Shut up!" Zoe punched Jared's shoulder. "Don't listen to him, you were beautiful, and Ben Platt is my totally weakness." Connor wrapped his arm around Evan.

"Hey! How about the five of us go out for ice cream to celebrate?" He suggested, earning cheers of agreement from the four.

"Actually, is it okay if Rich comes?" Jared asked.

"Yeah, Jare, of course. Go grab your boyfriend and meet us at À La Mode in twenty minutes."

"Alright, later!"

As Jared silhouette grew smaller and smaller, Evan grabbed Connors hand.

"Should we go?"

"Yeah, I think so. Ice cream for everyone!" Connor cheered.

As they walked towards the door, Connor couldn't stop thinking about Evan's performance and how much he loved it, how much he loved him. If they didn't live forever, that would be okay, as long as they had each other.

A/N: Sorry these have been so late, schools been kind of draining. Night! 🙃