Prettiest rose in the garden

Wow... it's been... a while. I am deeply sorry for the huge gaps in updates, life has been a lot these past few months and I haven't had really any time to write much. But! (And I know I say this all the time) Now that I'm on January break, I'm hoping I'll be able to do more! Stick around till the end when there'll be an important announcement.

Once a year, Connor paid a special visit to Patton's Pretty Petals floral shop to buy the same bouquet of blue roses for Evan's Valentine's Day gift. It was tradition for the two.

It had all started years ago when they were both in high school. No one could believe that Connor, the school's very own druggie, the emo boy that dressed in clothes that resembled what someone would wear to a funeral, had a crush on the sweet, anxious, nature-loving Evan Hansen. But alas, it was true. Connor was head over heels for him.

Junior year, Connor was done with moping around waiting for Evan to magically come up to him confessing his feeling, so, Connor took it into his own hands. His mother had connections with a florist, and knowing how much Evan loved nature, he decided to anonymously send him a blue rose. And on that Valentine's Day, he watched from behind a corner as Evan was met at his locker with the rose taped to the door.

Ever since then, Connor would greet his lover with a bouquet of blue-dyed roses. And as Valentine's Day rolled around once again, he knew where he needed to go.

"Patton! Hey! Long time no see," A smile appeared upon his face after greeting his friend.

Quickly glancing up at a bundle of flowers that were in the process of being wrapped, a man with sandy brown hair and glasses that perfectly framed his face met Connor's gaze. "Aww, hey Connor! How are you? I miss seeing you around here every once and a while,"

"It's been alright, busy at home with everything, but yeah, I really miss popping in to see you. But listen, Pat, it's Valentine's Day, and I-"

"Need your usual bouquet?" A chuckle escaped his lips as Patton finished his sentence. "Fifteen blue roses coming right up!"

Watching in admiration at Patton working with the beautiful, delicate plants, they filled in the silence with bouts of chit-chat and catching up, where Connor learned about his friend's new fiancé Logan and the house they were now sharing.

Once the flowers were wrapped in paper, a bow was tied in the front, and the personalized card sticking from the top was secured in place, Connor handed his payment to Patton and turned to leave, promising on the way out to stop by more to keep in touch.

The nice thing was that the small shop wasn't too far away from his own home, so the drive was quick and the traffic light that afternoon, which was surprising, seeing as it was Valentine's Day and it was a weekend.

His heart seemed to flutter as he pulled the car into the driveway of his and Evan's small townhome. It wasn't much, but it was enough. Planted flowerbeds alongside the porch and windowsills, the swing nailed to the Dogwood tree in their yard, and the white picket fence seemed to really tie it all together.

The cold metal of the doorknob seemed to run through Connor's hand as he turned it and pushed open the door, being greeted by the sound of chaos.

There, the sight that welcomed him was of their daughter, dressed to the nines in her finest tutu and fairy wings, running circles around his husband as he blew bubbles from one of those cheap bubble wands.

"What are you all doing in here?"

"Daddy!" The child cheered, deserting Evan behind her and racing towards Connor, who tucked the flowers under his arm and lifted her, as per her request.

"I see someone's been having a fun day with Papa,"

"We did, didn't we, Aurora?" Asked Evan, earning only a giggle and slight nod in return. "Happy Valentine's Day, Connor,"

"Happy Valentines Day, my love." And as he outstretched his arm, Connor saw as joy lit up his husband's face once Evan recognized the familiar arrangement of flowers

"Pretty flowers!" Aurora clapped, "Can I have one? Please, Papa?"

"Alright," the man grinned, plucking one of the royal blue flowers from his bouquet and sliding behind his daughter's ear, "just one, though."

Completely blind to the fact that the stem of the rose was too long for her small head and stuck out behind her, she was happy. As she was set back down on the hardwood floor, Aurora ran back to the living room to continue playing, strap on wings fluttering with every step.

As the two lovers faced each other once more, Evan hooked his hand onto the back of Connor's neck and pulled him into a kiss.

"Thank you for my flowers, I love them."

"The flowers will never stop, I love you too much to stop making you smile. Happy Valentines Day, my love,"

Hi! I hope y'all liked this cute little oneshot! And now, the announcement I mentioned earlier: I have decided this book will end at 150 parts. Yes, it is a very hard decision but I have so many new ideas. I still love this ship and everything about it, but at 150 parts, this book will be finished. I can make another one if you humans would like me to, I will be asking for suggestions later towards the end! I love you all and have an amazing day/night ❤️