92. Distant

1020 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written January 28 2021
Posted March 6 2021

Before Kaito could say anything else, something hard slammed into the back of his head, the impact making him fall forwards, barely stopping himself from falling "You bastard!" Unfortunately, the sudden shout startled him enough to continue his path towards the ground. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

"Wha-?" Confused and slightly dazed, Kaito scrambled to a sitting position, hands holding his head in pain. Ow, what even hit him? Was he imagining the growing wetness on his head?

Ginzo cursed, he'd given Kaito some time before searching for him. He'd decided to check the beat up house since it was a spot that Kaito would deem to be safe. The inspector shot a glare towards the spot that the witch had vanished from before hurrying over towards Kaito "Shit" He hadn't thought that there'd be something hard in the snowball, he'd just panicked and flung one. Stopping Kaito from making that damned deal had been the priority.

Kaito blinked, head turning towards the familiar voice "Keibu?" What was the inspector doing here? Hands were suddenly going through his hair, he couldn't help but flinch in pain. The contact hurt.

The inspector clicked his tongue, feeling both concerned and guilty "You're an idiot" He scolded, grimacing when his hand came back red. Ginzo examined the injury, coming to the conclusion that it wasn't as bad as head injuries always seemed "You promised that you'd be the one to undo the poison" He growled, putting pressure on the medium but shallow cut he'd made.

Indigo lowered guiltily, he didn't push the other's hands away. Even though the touch was painful, the intent made him feel safe "I'm sorry" He'd attempted to break the promise he'd made.

Ginzo let out a sigh, relieved that Kaito wasn't going to attempt to defend himself. That meant that the boy understood what he'd done wrong "I will never forgive you if you even attempt to make any sort of deal that would hurt you" His shoulders drooped "I'd never forget you even if she uses her scary magic on me" Kaito was too unique, one of a kind. It would be impossible for him to forget someone that he cared for so much.

Kaito's good eye watered, the words both comforting and terrifying "I want to be alone for a few days" He needed to collect himself, and fortify his decisions. Ginzo's presence was too comforting, he was relying on the other too much emotionally. Kaito needed to start thinking more rationally without his feelings jumbling things up.

The inspector scowled, glancing at the house, it looked worse than he remembered. Though that was probably because Kaito hadn't been around to maintain it "You shouldn't be alone" He argued "You were alone today and almost sold away your freedom" It had been terrifying to listen in on the conversation, it was a wonder that he hadn't been noticed "Staying here isn't healthy"

Bristling, Kaito moved away "I've lived here for years, a few days are nothing" This place was special to him.

"You've just started growing again Kaito, what if it stunts you even more" The area around the house was contaminated.

"Then I'll be tiny" Kaito crossed his arms "I've been tiny for years, it wouldn't change much" He didn't mean it, the thought of staying small was scary. He just needed to be alone.

Ginzo eyed Kaito, the boy was obviously distraught "I'm sorry about before, I won't make any comments like that again" He wasn't stupid, he could guess that Kaito's plan was to distance himself. Becoming an inspector wasn't easy after all "But you're not staying here" Not when Kaito had a nice warm bed to sleep in.

So Ginzo wasn't going to be as affectionate, Kaito pushed down the negative emotions regarding that thought, forcing himself to nod "Fine, I'll stay in the apartment" He relented.

"Good" Though it was a bit upsetting that Kaito hadn't called their place 'Home' like he had been recently up until now. At least this way he'd know that Kaito was safe. Ginzo stood up, brushing off his knees. He wanted to say more, but was worried that Kaito might change his mind if he showed too much affection so soon. That was what had started this mess after all.

Since Kaito looked to be both tired and cold, Ginzo called for a taxi once they had exited the forest and were near the road. The taxi ride ended up being thankfully uneventful, so they made it back with relative ease.

"Sleep some more" Ginzo advised once they were safely inside their apartment "I know that you're going after more gems tonight" He wouldn't stop Kaito even though he wanted to, the boy would just run off if he tried.

Kaito nodded "Okay" He turned and headed towards his room, a heavy feeling nestling in his chest. The boy shook his head once he was behind closed doors, no, this was what he wanted. Lie. Ginzo was respecting his wishes, like the good person that he was. It just hurt. That was fine though. It had to be. He curled up on his bed, hiding his head beneath the covers. Maybe tomorrow he'd work on the cure, or try to plan a safe way to reintroduce Ginzo into society once everything was over. If he was busy, he could ignore the heavy feelings in his chest. His sleep ended up being restless.

When Kaito woke up, it was dark out. Which was alarming since that meant that he'd slept through most of the day. The boy frowned, emotional exhaustion was annoying, he didn't want to deal with it again. After using the washroom, he made his way towards the kitchen. It was empty so he checked the fridge and spotted some wrapped up curry. Indigo softened as he took out the food, unwrapped it then reheated it.

Sitting down to eat all alone somehow made him feel lonely. Kaito frowned as he stared at his half eaten meal, he'd eaten here alone before. Yet it felt different now. Appetite now lost, Kaito forced himself to finish the meal, not wanting Ginzo's kindness to go to waste. He would need the fuel tonight.

Me: Pushing too soon can have adverse effects~ Ginzo doesn't want Kaito to run away to a place where he can't find him...

Oh, and that's why teachers always scolded kids for throwing snow~

Hope you enjoyed~

Don't spoil for those who haven't read Were-Kaito but... How do you feel when...

You realize the consequences that could have happened to this Kaito regarding the Lupus Morsus? This Kaito isn't a virgin so...

°~° ... Uneasy? Horrified? This Kaito is but a child~