109. Family

1055 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written July 7 2021
Posted August 7 2021

CHAPTER 1 OF SEQUEL will be posted on August 14 2021... Basically the schedule continued

Ginzo felt a bit lost as he watched Kaito burst into tears, the reaction wasn't quite what he'd been expecting. He floundered a bit before placing a steady hand on Kaito's shoulder, resisting the urge to hug the crying boy. Just because Kaito didn't feel it, it didn't mean that Kaito wasn't injured "Would hoping that those tears are happy ones be too optimistic for me?" The inspector quietly asked.

Kaito sniffed rubbing his eyes, knowing that the other wasn't playing some kind of sick joke on him "I'm feeling too much right now" His voice cracked. It was too much, more than he could handle. His life was changing too fast without allowing him to steady himself.

There was a small click and Aoko's head popped in, the girl tentatively entered the room while the other two seemed distracted. She could help with this part, that's why Misty had let her enter "Aoko has always wanted a little brother" She stated softly. Her father had already gone over this with her, and she was absolutely on board with helping the one who'd saved her father! Especially with how much her dad seemed to care for Kaito.

Out of the many things raging through Kaito's head, the wrongness of the sentence was what snapped him out of said head "I thought I was older than you" It was a strange thing to focus on, but it was also the simplest thing to focus on. Ginzo chuckled, a bit relieved.

Aoko shook her head "It would just confuse people if we told them you were older than me" The tears had slowed a bit, so that was good, right?

"Both Aoko and I would love to have you as part of our family Kaito" Ginzo paused "Do you want to be part of the family?"

Kaito hesitated, eyes wet. He really really wanted a family, he'd been so lonely before Ginzo had gotten himself poisoned. The boy already knew that Ginzo was being completely earnest with the offer, the man had told him on multiple occasions that he cared about him, that he viewed him as a son. He looked over at Aoko "Are you sure?" he asked, visibly grimacing at how vulnerable he'd sounded.

"Aoko thinks that you were silly for becoming a thief" The girl's gaze softened "But Aoko knows that you're a good person who's very caring, so gaining a little brother would be nice" Being an only child could be boring, and she really wanted to help the other.

Biting his lip, Kaito fought back another wave of tears "Even though I'll be high maintenance?" He averted his gaze, finger curling against the bed sheets "I'm less capable now" His lower body didn't work right "I'd be fine in an orphanage" He was done being Kid, so living normally wouldn't be dangerous for him anymore.

"Bullshit" Ginzo's eyes were narrowed "Yes you'll probably need a lot of help at first, but once you adjust, I just know you'll still be more capable than most people" He didn't like when Kaito talked down on himself "It'll take a lot of work, but I know that you're determined enough to do it until you're able to walk again" Ginzo smiled "And then you'd be extra capable on top of your already capable status"

"Even before Aoko was told about you from dad, Aoko knew that you weren't a quitter" Aoko piped in "You always did the heists no matter what you were up against" Back then it'd pissed her off, but after knowing the whole story, Aoko had found it a bit admirable, stupid, but admirable "Dad told Aoko everything, Aoko is amazed by how strong you are!"

Kaito flushed at the praise, heart warming "Can I have a pen?" He wanted this so much, a real family! They wanted him as well, the real him. He needed to sign everything before he go cold feet and decided that he didn't deserve this.

"I got one!" Misty hurriedly rushed through the door, practically shoving a black pen into Kaito's face. Her own eyes were slightly watery, she was so so happy and excited for Kaito. She'd done what she could to help Kaito, and now the boy was finally getting, and accepting the offer of joining a family.

The boy hurriedly signed and filled in every indicated space without really reading the documents, he trusted them to have not added in anything to screw him over. When he finished, he handed everything back to Ginzo, hands shaking as he did so.

Ginzo blinked "Kuroba Kaito?" He gave a small shrug before smiling, ecstatic. Kaito was his kid! He wanted to hug the brat but he couldn't... He was too happy, he'd end up squeezing him.

"It's the name you gave me..." Kaito blushed, it was special to him. He felt so dizzy. He legally existed now.

Aoko was grinning "Hakuba-san is helping so everything should be Kaito accessible by the time you can come home" The man was very generous.

The inspector couldn't stop smiling "You have a very long and hard recovery ahead of you" He risked giving Kaito a quick hug "But we'll be there to help you along the way"

"Because we're family now!" Aoko agreed, giving Kaito a gentle hug. She glanced over at Misty, she was Kaito's family too "And Misty will be the honorary aunt because she's Kaito's family too"

"Aoko-chan..." Misty's heart melted, Kaito- and her apparently - had joined a kind family.

Kaito smiled, indigos watering "This is a better outcome than I could have hoped to ever dream of" Being paralyzed from the waist down was nothing compared to what he'd expected the end to be like. He now had a family, he'd never be alone again. There was also the mentioned chance of him one day walking again... "It's almost surreal"

Ginzo's eyes softened as Kaito started to cry again "I can't wait to get you to see the therapists and psychologists that you need"

The boy sniffed "Only if you can find someone who could handle how messed up I am" He knew that he needed psychological help, had known that for a long time.

"I'm sure we'll find one Kaito" Misty ruffled Kaito's head.

Ginzo nodded, there were still so many things that needed to be done before they could all go home, but they'd get done. The effort was completely worth it.

Me: Kaito's support system has grown! And the end has been reached~

QAQ The end that I've been envisioning... My patience was worthwhile. I just absolutely love Fatherly Ginzo X Kaito... And I really hope that you've enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this

This Kaito has been beaten and battered, despite being the youngest one I've written so far (Excluding Oneshots) but he made it out alive against the odds.