32. Selfish?

1007 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written November 4 2019
Posted February 13 2020

!!!!!! Schedule Change!!!!!!
Next update is Monday February 17 2020, and then will be updated every Saturday and Monday after that

Were-Kaito will take the Thursday slot starting next week. Prologue out Saturday.

Kaito could feel himself trembling slightly as he approached his and the inspector's current residence, he didn't even know why he was even trembling. He just was. He decided to ignore that for now as he silently slipped into the house, swiftly removing everything Kid related so that he just looked like himself. He figured that the weird trembling will fade on it's own, so he just headed upstairs to their shared room.

Ginzo hadn't really gone to sleep that night, instead he'd decided that he'd wait for Kaito to return. What the boy had set out to do was quite risky in its own way, so he wanted to know the results as soon as possible. Even if he had tried to sleep, he highly doubted that it would come to him so easily.

The first thing that the inspector noticed when the boy had walked through the entrance to their shared room was that Kaito seemed a bit off. The way indigos were wide, yet slightly dazed was just as concerning as the visible trembling that slightly shook the other's frame. Just what had happened? Surely the meeting couldn't have turned out that bad right? "Oi, you okay?" He called.

Kaito blinked, suddenly snapping out of whatever trance he'd been in "Yeah, I'm fine" He hadn't been injured or anything, he glanced down at himself. He didn't even look roughed up, so why was Ginzo asking if he was okay?

Ginzo frowned "You're shaking and you looked a little out of it a few moments ago" His words trailed off as he spotted the wad of cash clenched tightly in the boy's fist "So he agreed?" There was no way that Kaito would have stolen the money.

The boy nodded, loosening his grip "Yeah, he offered way more than I was intending to ask for" Should he really have taken so much money on their first meeting? It still felt wrong to have accepted so much money.

The inspector's brows knit together in confusion, the boy wasn't acting like someone who's plans had succeeded "What are you all hung up on?" He inquired, Kaito seemed almost timid.

Kaito pursed his lips "Superintendent Hakuba offered a lot and told me to use it for an apartment..." He'd have heating and easy water all of the time, it seemed almost too good to be true "He also stated that I can fetch as much money as I want whenever I want..." He'd run away before he'd been able to properly question the other's reasoning. Sure Danashi didn't need the money, but most people wouldn't have been that generous.

Ginzo felt excitement fill him at the prospect of living in a normal house, even if it was an apartment "You're talking as if there's something wrong with that" He stated, confused. Why did Kaito sound so hesitant at the idea of living in better conditions.

The boy's shoulders sagged, indigos downcast "Is it even right to use the money for an apartment?" It seemed too selfish, the money instead could be used to upgrade his lab to better work on Ginzo's cure. That way he wouldn't have to take as much money from the superintendent.

"Kaito, didn't you just say that he told you to use the money for that?" The inspector breathed, not really understanding.

"Yeah..." He paused for a moment "It just doesn't feel right to give myself that luxury" He'd been living just fine without something nice like that. It just felt strange to even think about it, both strange and selfish.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed "That isn't a luxury" He scolded "It's a necessity that you've been living without" God the boy's values were messed up if he thought that living in a building that had both heat and water was a luxury where they were. Especially since they were at least near Tokyo and Kaito himself was a child. The confliction of Kaito's face made the inspector feel like he had just kicked a puppy, he let out a breath "Okay, without thinking about whether you deserve it or not, answer my question" Kaito gave him a confused glance "Do you want to live in an apartment?" Kaito bit his lip, immediately feeling guilty that his automatic thought was 'yes'. Ginzo frowned "Well?"

"I do" The boy muttered softly, not meeting the other's gaze. He wanted the chance to at least live a little bit like a normal person before everything ended, but did he really deserve it? He didn't feel like he did.

The inspector's gaze softened as he let out a relieved breath "Then that's settled" He stated "Your next task is to find us a nice place to live" He paused, suddenly having an idea come to mind "And don't find a scrappy place" He smirked "I'm going to have to live there as well you know" Kaito had exhausted himself by repeatedly selling himself so that Ginzo would live more comfortably, so hopefully his words would encourage the boy to find a good place. He really wished that Kaito would care about himself as much as he did for others. Hell, he'd even be satisfied if he cared half as much about himself.

The boy grimaced, how could he have been so selfish in getting caught up in his own conflict? He should have thought about how an apartment would be better for Ginzo. Instead he'd forgotten about how it would affect the other "I'll do my best in finding a place that will suit us" He replied softly. At least the inspector wouldn't have to face the winter chill.

Ginzo nodded his approval "Good, and make sure that there's two bedrooms" He didn't mind rooming with Kaito, but if they had the money, it was better to give the boy his own space. He'd shared almost everything here with Ginzo, so he wanted him to have something besides the lab that he could call his own. That would be a nice step towards making the other think more about himself. The room wouldn't affect Ginzo so Kaito could do whatever he wanted to it

Me: A new ark is starting~ so excited to write it~

This ark started off really dark and scary with the truth of Kaito's tasks coming out.... XP but the ark turned out to be sweet in the end ^-^

Kaito even got to hang out with someone his old age for the first time ever~

Hope you enjoyed~

Berry bought margarine 2 years ago... she's almost finished it... XP

Expiration dates only matter if it's meat, fuzzy, or looks or smells bad in Berry's opinion XP

Expired milk is fine for few days •3• until chunky or smells happens. Berry has never gotten sick from it before~