52. Chapter 52

1020 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written March 7 2020
Posted April 13 2020

Ginzo's mood dampened further at the mention of trauma "I wonder how much the recent events have affected his mental state" He grit his teeth "And how much of it was caused by his past" Kaito didn't really act all that traumatized or truly suicidal on a daily basis, but the boy was also a great actor "God why didn't I really look into the signs?" They'd unnerved him, but he hadn't really connected the dots.

"Kaito is Kid, who is a master at hiding things" Danashi offered, his gaze softened a bit "And maybe you were so close to him that you just couldn't imagine the truth" Sometimes people just couldn't see what was there because they didn't want to see it.

The inspector lowered his gaze "I know that" He scoffed "But it still shouldn't have taken you to point it out" He let out sigh "Kaito grew up isolated, not knowing who his parents were. He didn't even know what they looked like until he had to bury their bodies" Ginzo ran a hand through his own hair "Hell, Kaito doesn't even know if 'Kaito' is his real name" God that had to screw anybody up "And then he took up his father's job as Kid, luring out the Crows all by himself while he lived on scraps earned from prostituting himself" His voice broke at that last bit, his shoulders slumped "The only thing that I've actually seen him do for pleasure is read crime novels" There were the occasional childish antics and rare teasing, but it wasn't much. He glanced back towards Kaito "And you've already seen a bit of how little he values himself"

Danashi swallowed, that was a lot for a kid so young to take on "I'll see what I can do about a lab" He breathed "In the meantime, do what I said and give him a lot of affection. It will bug him and even make him uneasy since he's unused to it, but it should help"

Ginzo nodded, remembering how Kaito often blushed whenever he did something as simple as ruffling his hair. He usually wasn't all touchy with the boy out of respect, and had often refrained from hugging Kaito, but if it would help, he'd do it "I'll try"

"Okay good" The superintendent pulled out his cell before exiting the room to leave Ginzo alone with Kaito. He needed to make a few calls. He headed towards an empty room before phoning.

"This is Saguru Hakuba speaking" His son's words were in English.

Deciding that speaking in English would make things more discreet, Danashi did so "Ah Saguru, you know that lab I had set up for you?" He'd had it made as soon as he realized that Saguru had an interest in science"

"I do father" There was a pause "Why are you asking about it?"

"Would you mind if a thief's son occupied it for a bit?" Thief was a lot safer to say than Kid, and Saguru would surely know who he's talking about. Stating it how he did wasn't lying, and it left them some possible wiggle room when legalities came to play. Kaito was good, but a fingerprint or DNA could be easily missed in a lab setting.

"Can I ask what happened?" Saguru sounded a bit worried.

Danashi smirked, Saguru and Kaito would probably get along if things had been different "The previous lab was deemed unsafe after some biological tests were done"

The sound of Saguru taking in a breath was heard "I have no objections to its use so long as the intentions are good" He was silent for a few moments "Why were tests done?" More silence "Is there anything that I could work on to help?" He was good in the lab, and he liked Kid. Though it was kinda shocking that he had a son.

His son was such a good kid. Danashi thought for a moment as he recalled how advanced Saguru was "His son lost his right eye completely due to some complications" Maybe Saguru could make a realistic eye while Kaito was busy with other things "It would save some time if you could come up with something"

There was a bit of a clatter "I'll see if I can put together some designs..." His words trailed off "One of them would have to adjust them and make it though..." He didn't know what Kid's son's eye looked like, but he could at least draft some general plans.

"Okay, thank you Saguru" Danashi replied, relieved that at least one problem had been solved so easily. Saguru's lab was designed to be highly private and only had cameras in the entrance for safety reasons.

"Have a good day Father" Saguru replied before hanging up.

Danashi pocketed his phone, now he just needed to acquire one of those fancy mask things to prevent Kaito from being contaminated again when he went to go fetch his data. There was no way that the boy would abandon all of his research.

Ginzo let out a yawn, he was starting to become bored with being in the clinic for so long, but it wasn't like he could leave Osaka to get their things. Thankfully Kaito technically didn't need to stay in the hospital any longer, they could leave as soon as the boy was up to it.

His gaze darkened a bit as he brushed a strand of hair out of Kaito's face. He'd wait until they were in their apartment to continue his talk with the boy, he had a feeling that Kaito wouldn't bring it up himself. Ginzo's eyes burned, why did Kaito have to belittle himself? He was a strong, kind, and very smart person, skilled in countless things. He had so many good traits that made him better than most. So why was it so fucking hard to make Kaito realize this? That he was actually worth something, so he should value himself more. Ginzo's resolve strengthened, from now on he wouldn't let Kaito disregard himself so easily.

He had argued before, but then Kaito would more often than not say something that he wasn't sure how to reply to.

Me: So Saguru kinda appeared again~ Because I want him to be attached to Kid~ But he's probably not going to come back to Japan in this book

Now Ginzo's going to actively try to fix the way Kaito views himself~

Hope you enjoyed~

>^> for some reason it doesn't feel like Monday... I've posted so much on another book recently that it feels like a week has gone by...

I have neglected this book... XD so thankful for my stockpiles