67. Deaths

1012 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written June 7 2020
Posted July 18 2020
NEXT UPDATE August 1 2020

❗️❗️I've decided that the last update day of each month will not have updates for the MK/DC fandom❗️❗️

Been lethargic for a few months, bleh

After the three finished cleaning up the kitchen, they went about actually making and eating breakfast instead of throwing things around. It had been an interesting ordeal, especially since Misty had proven that she was the best cook between the three of them. While Ginzo had improved significantly since meeting Kaito, and the boy had been decent, Misty was actually quite skilled in cooking.

Apparently it had been part of her training, which she never specified about. Though the inspector did have his suspicions, and they made him wonder just how similar her and Kaito really were.

Kaito had been trained since he was a very young child in his many skills affiliated to being Kaitou Kid, Misty had probably been trained to do her part as 'The Mistress'. The woman hadn't elaborated about what that actually meant, but he had a guess, and he didn't like it. There was also the fact that the two never really had proper names... Was that why Kaito had gotten attached to her so easily? He wasn't sure.

Now that breakfast had been eaten and cleaned up after, Misty turned towards the inspector "I need to talk to you about something" She stated, tone soft but firm as she side eyed Kaito.

Ginzo blinked, following her gaze "Okay?"

She let out a breath "In your room" Kaito was watching something on Netflix, seemingly ignoring the other two as the inspector nodded and led her to his room. Indigo lit up with curiosity as he wondered what they wanted to talk about.

A few moments after the entered Ginzo's room, Misty closed the door "Have you checked the news recently?" She inquired now that Kaito was no longer within hearing range. She hadn't wanted the boy to be a part of their conversation, at all.

The inspector grimaced "No, we've both been intentionally avoiding the news" If Misty was bringing it up now, then it must not have been good. Shit.

She pursed her lips, recalling the shock she'd felt when watching the news "It's bad" She admitted, slate soft with concern "Really bad" It was why she had decided to check up on the boy today, to make sure that he wasn't planning anything too rash. It was that bad.

Ginzo's mouth went dry, he'd been expecting something to happen, but still... "What happened?" He breathed, both curious and scared. Hopefully whatever it was, won't hurt Kaito too much when he finds out.

Misty visibly hesitated before answering "There was an announcement" She started, feeling sick "That a random child will be sniped for every hour that Kid doesn't show up" Over 60 children have died already, and the number was growing rapidly with each hour that passed.

Fuck, a child every hour? The inspector couldn't help but pale in horror "Shit" He met her gaze "Why children?" Wouldn't anyone have worked? It was confusing. Kid cared about anyone with a pulse, so why were children being specifically targeted?

Slate softened "He's called Kid" She swallowed, heart hurting for Kaito "So they said that it was only fair that they kill kids in his name" Because the Crows were heartless murderers, like Kaito had warned her about.

Holy shit, if Kaito found out... "He's going to die" He whispered, voice hoarse, as he felt ice chilling his veins at the thought. There was absolutely no way that Kaito would value himself over so many children, even with how far the boy had improved.

Her eyes narrowed in concern "But hasn't he done a heist while injured before?" Kid was famous for a good reason, the boy was skilled. Surely he'd be able to do a quick heist right? It wasn't like the guys were asking for Kid to give himself up, thank the gods.

Ginzo shook his head "He can't" His fingers clenched, knuckles whitening "He's developed an extreme fear to both the dark and being cold" He grit his teeth "He may try, but it's more likely that he'll slip up and get himself killed" He lowered his head "At the very least, he'll try to mess with his own head to distance himself"

"Oh" Misty couldn't help grimacing at the knowledge "Then I guess that it's good that I did decide to come here to warn you" She breathed, feeling worried "This way you should be more prepared to stop Kaito from being stupid" Ginzo would be informed enough to move Kaito's attention away from the news instead of allowing it.

"He would have found out eventually" The inspector regretfully agreed. It was hard for such a big ongoing incident to be missed. If not by the media, then by possibly overhearing people talk about it. He felt sick, they'd have been in a fair amount of danger if they had actually gone out that day. So in a way, Kaito's panic had helped them stay safe.

She glanced at the door "We should join Kaito to relieve any suspicions about what we were talking about" Kaito was smart, so he obviously knew that they were talking about something that he wasn't supposed to know. Misty frowned "It's actually surprising that he didn't follow us to listen in"

Ginzo blinked, freezing before abruptly heading towards the door. He had a bad feeling "Kaito?" He called as he marched towards the living room. He got no answer "Fucking shit!" He growled, noting that the boy wasn't on the couch. The TV was off and only felt a little warm like it'd been off for a while.

"He's not in the other room" Misty called, looking frazzled. Had Kaito listened in?

The inspector's eyes burned as he saw that Kaito's shoes were also missing "He's gone" He breathed, sinking to his knees. Why hadn't he realized that the idiot would listen in on them?! Kaito was Kid, and he was known for sneaking around!

"Do you have any idea on where to find him?" Misty inquired, voice soft as she tried to think of places herself "There was no set location in the threats"

"No" Ginzo whispered, shaking his head "I have no idea" Kaito had always been a secretive person "He could be anywhere by now"

Past Berry: Did Kaito listen in? Or did he sneak out for another reason?

^-^ ....

hope you enjoyed zee chappy~

Current berry: O.o .... oops, I wasn't even thinking of the timing of the cliffy

>^< I forgot how much baby rats poop. It also smells bad right now since they're getting used to the good rat food instead of trashy food they used to be on in pet store. They were feeder rats.

Whenever I get new rats, I always appreciate the quality of food I give them XP worth the doubled price compared to cheap stuff. That yucca extract ingredient does miracles

=~= can't wait until rat digestive is stable enough again to eat treats. I will earn their undying love! With bribery...