44. Chapter 44

1006 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own MK/DC~

Written February 4 2020
Posted March 16 2020
Another ark starts~

Since the Violet Victory heist, Kaito had kept his word to start working out again before holding more heists. Which had been a good plan since when he did host the next few heists the Crows had really gunned for him, they really had raised the danger level. Thankfully the extra training had managed to pay off, the worst injury that he'd received from the last five heists was a bullet graze by his left ankle. It'd required the boy to give himself a few stitches and had left him limping for about a week. Ginzo had not been impressed, but hadn't been able to complain since the injury was minor compared to what could have happened.

"I'm so glad that we have heating" Kaito breathed, resisting the urge to shiver at the early December chill. He'd lived in colder conditions with less insulation before, but now his body was used to the warmth that indoor heating provided.

Ginzo nodded "It's hard to believe that it's almost been 6 months..." Six months of being stuck as a child, allowing his daughter to believe that he was dead. He glanced at Kaito, it had also been six months since he'd truly met Kaito. The boy had made things more bearable for him, and he often enjoyed the other's company.

Indigos softened as the boy winced "I'm sorry..." He still hadn't managed to find a permanent cure for Ginzo. He'd taken away some of the time he'd been using for the research so that he could exercise properly instead.

The inspector shook his head "For what?" If it weren't for Kaito, he'd have probably outed himself long ago and would gotten both himself and Aoko killed as a result "It's not like I could go back right away anyways" The Crows were still out there.

Kaito let out a soft sigh, wishing that his biology and chemistry skills were higher than they already were "There's going to be another heist in a few days" While his book skills were lacking, he could work on luring the crows. It was the least he could do for Ginzo, since the other did have a life to return to, unlike him "I'll send out the heist note a day before like normal" The extra time for preparation really helped, especially since the Crows had brought out even more skilled snipers last time.

Ginzo raised a brow, the last Kid heist had been little more than a week ago "What's the target?"

"The Sea's Regret" It was a modest, but large emerald cut into the usual square design "I was initially going to go after the Mermaid's Heart, but it's already left Japan for now"

The inspector knit his brows together in thought "Those were displayed at the new museum in Osaka, the one near the water?"

Kaito smirked at Ginzo's knowledge "Yeah, the Taisho Gem Museum" The place wasn't gaining that much attention so it was at risk of shutting down "I figured that if Kid gave it a visit, more people would visit it" As it was, gems were already being sent away to other museums, thankfully the Sea's Regret wasn't scheduled to be shipped anytime soon.

Ginzo snorted, leave it to Kaito to try to help out a museum by stealing from it "Since it's going to be in Osaka, you've already booked the tickets haven't you?"

"Of course" Indigos gleamed "We're heading out by train tomorrow so that I can set up in time"

"How early?" He squinted at the boy suspiciously, it was currently around 9pm, nearing 10.

"We need to get to the station before 9" Kaito offered, grinning. He wasn't really thinking all that much when he'd booked the tickets. He'd just snatched ones that were early in the morning, not really thinking about how it was already getting late.

Ginzo let out a breath, it could have been worse "I'm going to go to sleep then"

Kaito nodded, opting to stay outside for a good while longer. Indigos narrowed at the new blue and purple capsule in his hand. It was the exact same formula as the last one he'd given Ginzo, except that he'd added some chemicals to temporarily numb the other's pain receptors. Thankfully the numbing agents hadn't interfered with the main formula. He knew that the numbing agents only worked on the pain receptors because he'd tried it out on himself before adding it to the cure. He'd stabbed his own leg and hadn't really felt any pain, just the feeling of something going through his flesh. He'd also been able to move his whole body properly.

He pocketed the pill, deciding that he'd give it to Ginzo in the morning before they left. Though he'd make sure to tell him that it wasn't really a different formula so that the inspector wouldn't randomly decide to test it like last time. Indigos darkened, it probably wouldn't mask all of Ginzo's pain, but it should at least prevent him from passing out. He let out a tired sigh before heading to bed.

Ginga covered his yawn with a hand as they exited the station. He hadn't slept well, which was normal for him whenever he was aware of an upcoming heist. Though now instead of the anticipation of catching Kid being the cause of his insomnia, he was kept up by his worry for Kaito. There may not have been many injuries during the last few heists, but there had been plenty of close calls.

Kite smiled sympathetically, knowing the cause of the other's drowsiness "You can go back to sleep once we reach our hotel Ginga" It made him feel both guilty and happy that the other was so worried whenever he pulled a heist. He grabbed Ginga's hand for appearance's sake.

"I'll be fine" It would just make it harder to fall asleep tonight if he slept more. He stuck his hand into his pocket, palming the plastic container that held the temporary cure. It was reassuring to have.

"Okay" The other wasn't actually a child, so Kite wouldn't tell him what to do.

Me: Another heist... Because well Kaito's life kinda revolves around them and the cure now that he has less house maintenance to do~

I can't wait to write more of this ark~ So excited~

Hope you enjoyed~