100. Magical Number

1037 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written  April 21 2021
Posted May 15 2021

The next few days had ended up being quite interesting to say the least, at least in Ginzo's opinion they had been. He'd learned how to use the vibration powered lock picking device, which had been a lot louder than he'd thought it would be. The inspector had also gained a new respect for Kaito's vent navigating skills. Traversing the damn things was difficult, more so than he'd thought it'd be.

At least the temporary cures lasted for over 2 days, not much longer though. Seeing green capsules instead of neither purple or blue had been a surprise, though the sour taste left much to be desired, mainly because he knew that Kaito could have made them taste good. What had surprised him the most however, was that the boy had actually stopped working on the green version and was actually already looking into something else. Whenever Ginzo had inquired about it, Kaito had just offered an uneasy smile before telling him that the next colour would probably be a light purple. Which basically told him nothing.

Ginzo eyed Kaito curiously, Kaito hadn't gone into another panic, but the boy was visibly tense "Is there something wrong?" He inquired, he was currently taking a break in his vent endeavours.

Kaito seemed to hesitate before responding "No there's actually nothing wrong, I'm just being paranoid" He sighed.

The inspector nodded, noting that Kaito obviously didn't want to elaborate "Then what's bugging you?" Ginzo raised a brow "Don't think that I didn't notice that you've been wanting to say something to me" Kaito had been approaching him looking nervous before seemingly changing his mind before starting to talk about random things. The inspector highly doubted that a conversation about plants would make Kaito nervous.

"It's nothing bad really" Kaito looked away "I'll tell you later" The boy stretched, sitting up from where he'd been on the floor "Since you're still big, I'm going to head out and get tonight's dinner" They didn't have any chicken left in the fridge. With that Kaito hurried out the door, leaving Ginzo alone with the liberated vent that was sitting in the middle of their living room.

Ginzo sighed, at least the other was willing to tell him eventually, that was better than nothing. Though watching Kaito stumble out the door had been kinda sad, hopefully the boy didn't slip on ice again. Ginzo eyed the vent, deciding that he'd had enough of crawling around for now and instead of going back to his practice, he went over to fix up the boots Kaito had knocked over in his hasty retreat.

The inspector paused as he straightened out a boot, picking up a tiny plastic box that'd somehow fallen inside of said boot. Had Kaito dropped it in his rush? The boot's soft padding must have muffled it's fall. Curious, Ginzo opened it "Oh" He blinked at the lavender coloured capsule inside, why had Kaito been carrying it around? It must be complete, otherwise it wouldn't have left the lab. With a shrug, the inspector pocketed it, he'd take it when he shrunk again. He trusted Kaito's abilities and they hadn't failed them yet. He went to go watch tv.

A little while later, Kaito was panicking a bit as he accepted the change for his purchase. There was a hole in his pocket, the pocket where he'd kept the latest cure... It was basically poison for anyone but Ginzo... It also looked pretty, something a very young child wouldn't hesitate to put in their mouth.

Kaito grimaced as he left the store, it had started snowing again, that wasn't good. The boy hurriedly retraced his steps, hoping that he'd lost the pill recently instead of when he'd left the lab. Kaito really really didn't want some kid to end up dead because of his carelessness. He ended up searching for a few hours before giving up, thankfully the cool weather kept the chicken from going bad.

Ginzo raised a brow when Kaito came back a few hours late looking very frazzled "What happened?" Surely a trip to the store couldn't go too badly could it?

"I misplaced something dangerous and couldn't find it" Kaito admitted, feeling guilty for giving up so soon.

"The pill?"

Kaito blinked "You have it?!"

"I did, but I took it since you've been having me change back right away lately" Since there'd been many different versions of the cure, the two of them hadn't been too worried about him developing a resistance. Ginzo frowned as he watched Kaito pale, the poor boy looked terrified "Was it not safe? It didn't hurt at all and I feel fine"

The boy stuttered "I wasn't sure about it yet..." It's origins were sketchy which made him nervous. Kaito hurried over to Ginzo's side "Are you sure that you're okay?" He bit his lip "You should rest just in case, I'll handle supper"

Ginzo rolled his eyes "I'm fine, making supper won't kill me"

"But what if you melt?" Kaito's words were a low mumble.

"Why the hell would I melt?" Ginzo eyed the boy funny.

"The original poison might reactivate since the cure was weird" Kaito fretted "It was meant to destroy your DNA... That kinda sounds like melting into nothing to me" That was why he'd been hesitating! The cure wasn't completely science born and was basically a bio-hazard in itself.

Ginzo sighed, resting a hand on Kaito's shoulder "I'm pretty sure that I'd be in a lot of pain if that started to happen" He paused "And what do you mean when you said that the cure was weird?"

The boy grimaced, indigos wide with worry "I was clumsy and got my blood mixed in it and decided 'why not?' when Akako said my blood had some magic in it"

Okay... Now he was starting to understand where some of Kaito's worry was coming from "But you must have tested it on the samples like you did the others. I know you wouldn't have left the lab with it unless it passed"

Kaito gave a small reluctant nod "It did pass..." His voice was small "It worked perfectly" He bit his lip "What if it lasts until the middle of the heist then wears off?" The shrinking part might be extra painful if the growing had been painless.

Me: So Kaito is worried because he doesn't really trust magic... Makes sense with what he's had to deal with XP

Hope you enjoyed~

•3• Tomato sauce makes macaroni and cheese taste more like cheese, I never like the ones I've eaten at restaurants... Always so bland

^-^ And this is from someone who rarely uses spices. Like I only have salt for fries and garlic salt for grilled cheese XP

... *Just finished brushing teeth*.... •_• Wait... *Realized that I'm hungry*

How often does this happen to you? XP very often for me