105. Aoko

1019 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 28 2021
Posted July 3 2021

For Aoko, being told that her father was dead had been the worst thing she'd ever heard. With her mother having already passed, the girl had been all alone. Or so she'd thought. Konosuke Jii was apparently a relative of hers, the kind old man had ended up taking care of her. She hadn't even been forced to move, instead, the kind old man had somewhat moved into her house, taking the spare room as his own. While it had hurt to be surrounded by everything, Aoko had been very grateful that she hadn't been forced to leave everything that she'd ever known.

Aoko had never met or heard of Jii until the day of her father's death, but she'd eventually ended up trusting him. Jii was very friendly and understanding. He comforted her and helped her grieve.

Then four months after her whole world had shifted, it shifted once more. Jii had told her that her father's death had been fake, that he was alive and well. It had hurt her a lot, but it was hard to stay angry when she was just so happy that her dad was okay. Aoko had ended up crying for a good while before calming down enough to listen.

Her dad had gotten poisoned, and someone trustworthy was working on a way to safely get her father back into her life. Bad and horrible people would hurt and kill so many people including herself if they found out that her dad was alive. It was scary, terrifying even. Jii wouldn't go into any of the specific details, mainly because he himself only knew the bare minimum.

The trusted person seemed to be protecting Jii as well, the old man had eventually admitted that he'd only worked with the person once, and he'd put them in serious danger that one time. Dangerous blackmail had been made, leading to an accidental death and an extremely young orphaned toddler. That had been the first and last time that Jii had met the trusted person up until he'd been asked to take care of her.

The danger was enough for Aoko to reluctantly agree that having her genuinely grieve for her father had probably been a good idea. It had hurt so much, but at least she could look forward to seeing her dad again one day. Jii wasn't a family member like she'd been told, but at least he'd treated her well.

The months after the revelation had passed by a bit more easily than before, though Christmas had been more difficult. Thankfully it hadn't been as hard as her birthday had been, she'd still thought that her dad was dead back then. Everything had been going as normally as it could have been, up until Jii suddenly woke her up and asked her to get dressed in the middle of the night, or arguably very early in the morning.

"Jii-chan, what's wrong?" Aoko groggily rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she exited her room. She wasn't used to waking up so early.

The old man tensed, coat already in hand "I'm taking you to your father"

Blue widened, Aoko was suddenly alert "Dad?!" She bounced a bit on her heels "Aoko can really see him again?!"

Jii nodded, a tired smile on his face "I got an unexpected call from someone who gave me a specific code word" Why had Hakuba Danashi been involved?! He held out the girl's pale blue coat to her "It's finally time for you to see your father again"

Aoko excitedly grabbed her coat "Aoko can't wait for you to meet him! He'll be so happy to know that Aoko was okay" She hurriedly slipped her boots on.

"I'm just dropping you off Aoko-chan, my presence would probably compromise whatever cover story they'll be using" Jii replied softly.

The girl frowned "So you're just going to leave?" But he'd started to feel like family to her...

"It's for everyone's protection, on record you've been home schooled in an orphanage this whole time instead of here"

"Oh..." So that's why he'd requested her to not talk about him to anyone. It also explained why Jii had brought so little into the house.

Jii smiled, ruffling her hair "Taking care of you was a pleasure Aoko-chan" He didn't want to risk her safety "Now let's get you back to your father"

"Okay" Aoko nodded, eyes burning "Thank you for taking care of Aoko Jii-chan" She was thirteen now, a teenager, she could handle this. They headed outside, with Jii driving the two of them "The hospital?..." Aoko's heart sank, had her dad gotten hurt?

"You're father isn't the one who's hurt" Jii assured softly, opening the door to let her out "Look for a blond man named Hakuba Danashi, he's expecting you"

The girl nodded, biting her lip "Take care Jii-chan" She quickly hugged him before running inside.

Jii's eyes softened as he watched her, he really hoped that whatever story was made worked out. He drove off to go collect what little he'd left in the house.

When Aoko barged in, she forced down her embarrassment when everyone's gaze turned towards her. She quickly looked around, she couldn't see her dad anywhere.

"Are you Aoko-chan?" A large brown haired man with a bushy moustache inquired. He seemed to be quite stressed.

The girl gave a small nod "Hakuba-san?"

Danashi smiled softly "I'll take you to your father"

He knew who she was here for, so he must be the right person "Please" She wanted her dad. She followed Danashi down the halls and into a private room. Aoko froze, her dad looked different, his hair was styled a bit messy and had been dyed brown... But there was no mistaking it, that was her father. Tears welled up as she launched herself at him "Dad!"

Ginzo jolted from where he'd been sitting in the chair next to Kaito's bed "Aoko?!" Before he knew it, he found himself hugging his crying daughter, shedding a few tears of his own. He held Aoko close, he'd missed his baby girl. Just what was she doing here?

"Aoko missed you so much!" The girl sobbed, clinging on to him as tightly as she could "So much!"

Me: So a reunion~.... But just what has happened regarding Kaito and Ginzo?

^-^ I bet you weren't expecting an Aoko chapter... Without getting many details about Kaito's condition

Comment? ^-^

Despite purple being my favourite colour, I have no purple clothing o.o