108. Process, Story

1038 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written July 2 2021
Posted July 24 2021

FINAL UPDATE is on August 7 2021

Kaito shifted, face scrunching up a bit before he opened his eyes. His heart rate momentarily spiked at the realization that he was in a hospital before he remembered that he'd been fine in one before. The boy just stared at the white ceiling, he was alive. How? He'd been dying, he knew it. So actually waking up again... It was a pleasant surprise.

Indigos narrowed as he suddenly realized something, he should be in a lot more pain right now. Gunshot wounds hurt, a lot. He wasn't feeling the pain that should be there, had he been kept unconscious again? Frowning, Kaito sat up to check his wound, or at least he tried to. Eyes wide, Kaito tried again using more force with his arms since his legs weren't responding.

Sitting up, Kaito braced his arms to keep himself upright as he stared at his legs. He couldn't feel them, at all. A loud curse startled him, his head whipped over to see Ginzo standing in the doorway with a bag in hand "You're still big" Kaito stated dumbly, thoughts racing too fast to keep hold of.

The inspector sighed "And you end up waking the one time nobody is in the room with you" He ran his free hand through his hair before coming over to sit next to the bed, he looked quite upset "How do you feel?" The boy didn't look like he was freaking out or anything. He glanced at the door before closing it. Hopefully they'd take the hint and keep out for now.

"I-" Kaito cut himself off with a frown before continuing "I think I'm still processing"

Ginzo nodded somberly "I promise that everything will be okay" He reached out and gave Kaito's hand a quick squeeze "I hid the gem, I'll give it to you when we leave"

Kaito's mind was still racing, the gem, Pandora, they'd found it! His fingers unconsciously clutched at the thin hospital sheets "I won" He breathed.

Grimacing, Ginzo eyed Kaito's dazed face. Thankfully Kaito seemed lucid enough to hold a proper conversation "Kaitou Kid died, taking a bullet for someone" It was the truth, the first had died like that... And the second had done so but in a different way "One of his tricks must have gone off then because there was a bright red light before the gem shattered" That part was necessary, to stop the Crows from searching "The body was retrieved but some of the hardcore Kid fans set it on fire to preserve their idol's identity, sadly the dental records showed nothing in the system"

The boy wiped his eyes, why were they even watering? "That's crazy..."

"Kid fans have always been quite eccentric" Ginzo stated softly "There were also many injuries, a lot of people got hurt. Thankfully only Kid died" The inspector met Kaito's gaze "The worst injuries belonged to two twins, both had very similar injuries. The girl died but the brother survived, though he did end up paralyzed from the waist down"

Kaito blinked a few times, confused "Why twins?" That meant that there would be a missing body since said girl didn't exist.

"You were admitted as a girl, but the magic wore off so you're a boy again" Ginzo licked his lips "It also puts more distance between you and Kid, Hakuba-san has been calling in favours left and right to get the story to stick" Everything was clean paperwork wise so far.

So he hadn't been revealed... Kaito bit his lip "But what about you?" Ginzo wasn't tiny anymore, he could be recognized.

"Ah..." Of course Kaito would be worried about that "I'm currently finishing up my rehab after being in a coma for so long. Sadly the doctors are pretty sure that I'll never remember the weeks worth of memories that I'd lost after being hit by a car at the last heist that I went to" He grimaced "I was prematurely declared missing because a newbie doctor didn't connect the dots between their unknown coma patient and the missing inspector" So much paperwork and digital work had been done to affirm everything "My survival was kept quiet to allow myself enough peace to recover, Kid fans pestering me had been a big concern since I have some memory loss"

That sounded weak... But proof was probably already being fabricated "I'm glad" Kaito replied, looking sad despite the small smile that he was offering "You can be with your daughter again" Where he was supposed to be. Indigos stared down at his legs "I can't feel anything below the waist" He'd been avoiding thinking about it.

"Yeah... Moving you around so much wasn't too bright of me" Ginzo admitted "But better like this than dead, right?" He inquired softly "You've completed your goal at least"

Oh, so that's why Ginzo had been looking so upset "At least I'll probably end up in a lower security prison, away from the extra scary criminals" Kaito offered a small smile "Escaping would be hard like this" He paused "So me ending up like this is actually a good thing" Kaito added weakly.

Ginzo's gaze softened "Why would you be arrested? You're just an injured orphan. Kaitou Kid is dead, remember?"

Kaito spluttered "That's illegal!" He hissed softly, he'd thought the story and favours were just for protection!

"You're a minor, and the few higher ups that know the truth have agreed that you've been punished enough" Ginzo stated. It was kind of sad that they actually thought that after learning about Kaito's life. Sad, but damn useful "You're not going to be arrested anytime soon Kaito"

"Oh..." Kaito bit his lip "What now?" Was he able to take care of himself like this? Pretending to be an adult would be tricky...

"Well... Do you remember that bet we made?"

"The one about me going to prison or not?"

Ginzo nodded "I'm pretty sure that I've won that bet"

"I don't think I can do much for you Keibu" Kaito glanced down "Sorry"

"No, I'm pretty sure that you can" He pulled out a bundle of paper and offered it "I'd really like you to sign everything, but only if it's what you want, not what you think you deserve"

"Okay?" Feeling confused, Kaito accepted the papers, bursting into tears when he realized what they were.

Me: So Ginzo distracted Kaito enough to prevent him from panicking~ And hmm why did Kaito cry at the end?

QAQ I love when plans are finally able to be put to use, patience is hard

Comment? ^-^

°^° I read fox sex and didn't realize that it was fox sex until the word 'shaft' was used. The book Hunter's Moon by Garry Kiloworth is both enchanting and gritty

>^< A story of a foxes containing love, and mortality with just a hint of the supernatural. I really felt like I was reading the world through the eyes of foxes 

I doubt that you'll be able to read it easily though, unless you purchase a digital version... >^< I was lucky to obtain it from a second hand thrift store

It's an old book so the wording may be difficult for some, but I really enjoyed it.