86. quatre + vingt + six

1022 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written December 13 2020
Posted January 9 2021

Ginzo scowled, worry almost overwhelming him as he placed a cool cloth on Kaito's head, they'd barely made it back to their apartment before the other had lost consciousness. Now Kaito was burning up, heat practically radiating off of the other, causing a sheen of sweat to wet the boy's brow as his body trembled.

If it weren't for Akako's parting words telling them to expect Kaito to become ill, he would have already taken the other to the hospital. The girl's face had been full of smug amusement as she'd told them that human medicine wouldn't help, that Kaito would most likely be fine after suffering through the magic changes within himself.

The heat coming from Kaito was abnormal, the boy had actually single-handedly raised the room's temperature to at least 30 degrees. It was terrifying, and had made it easy for him to decide that he hated real magic. Sure that was a drastic thought, but it was hard not to dislike it when he's only ever seen it do harm. Magic was dangerous, and they had no way to counter it. The inspector's fists clenched, Kaito was now apparently going to be dealing with magical gems on a more frequent basis now. This was a horrible start to the new year.

When Kaito woke, he woke up freezing. He jolted, face scrunched up in a grimace as he went to move away from the cold as his blurry sight began to clear up. He blinked, confusion hitting him as he realized where he was. He was in the bathtub, which was filled with ice. No wonder he was so cold. Unable to keep his teeth from physically chattering, Kaito scrambled out of the tub, immediately wrapping a fluffy towel around himself. It didn't help much with how chilled to the bone he felt, but at least it made him feel dry. Indigo snapped towards the bathroom door as it opened, revealing Ginzo. The inspector was carrying a large bag of ice.

"Oh" Relief filled Ginzo at the sight of Kaito bundled up in the towel "I guess this isn't needed anymore" He could see that the ice hadn't melted like it had the last few times he'd come in to refill the tub.

Trembling, but still confused, Kaito watched the other toss the bag into the tub "I have no idea what happened after we got back" He breathed, doing his best to reign in his shivering.

Ginzo nodded, he'd been expecting that to be the case "Your body began to produce inhuman amounts of heat" He took out a cup from the cabinet and filled it with water "I figured that it'd be better for you to wake up cold than feeling both disgusting and more dehydrated than you're probably feeling" He offered the cup, which Kaito took after securing the large towel around himself with one hand "You were sweating a lot, and actually kept melting the ice" He glanced towards the tub "Before, the ice would have melted by the time I got back"

Kaito drank the water, then shuffled over towards the sink to refill his cup "Thanks" He offered a smile "My head would probably hurt worse if you hadn't helped" Dehydration wasn't something that he was unfamiliar with. He really appreciated the other's effort to help.

"I'll go fetch you some warmer clothes" He actually hadn't expected Kaito to recover so soon, nor so quickly. He'd thought that the heat would gradually tone down, not suddenly stop.

"'Kay" The boy watched the other leave, content to just stay wrapped up in the towel. It had already started to retain a bit of warmth, but he guessed changing now would be better than getting warm then having to change into cold clothes.

Ginzo returned quickly with his clothes, which included a sweater "It's noon, so I'll make something quick if you're hungry" He turned away to give the boy some privacy. He normally would have left, but he wanted to make sure that Kaito wouldn't fall. The trembling could have been from more than just how cold he was after all.

Feeling nice and snug in the fluffy pyjama pants and sweater, Kaito smiled "I'm just a little hungry" His clothes were warm, they'd definitely been placed near the heaters. The inspector was so kind "But I'd like to make lunch instead, or at least help"

Eyeing Kaito, Ginzo nodded "You can help" The boy looked surprisingly steady and he knew the other well enough by now to know that it'd make him feel better if he helped "How do you feel about chicken and vegetable soup and grilled cheese?" Both were warm foods that should help the other warm up.

"That sounds good" Kaito agreed, it'll be done faster than usual with both of them cutting the ingredients. The two of them headed towards the kitchen.

After they'd gotten everything out and were situated for their specific tasks, Ginzo spoke "Do you feel anything odd besides the expected?" He inquired, both curious and concerned.

Kaito paused in cutting the celery "I'm not sure, it almost feels like something has been warped? Torn then bandaged?" He frowned "It's hard to tell if I'm imagining it or not" He gave a small shrug "I'll get used to it, and it's not like I had a choice or anything" He offered a reassuring smile "I'm not in any pain" He continued his task.

Ginzo nodded, accepting the answer "It's strange to think that you actually had something magical about you but neither of us noticed it" It was still hard to wrap his head around the concept of real magic, even after facing it.

"At least we know that my skills are real since my magic hadn't really been released" Kaito grimaced "Imagine if my talents had been caused by magic, we'd be screwed" He moved on to cutting up some carrots.

"That's a good thing" Ginzo agreed, running an onion under some water before cutting into it "I just wish that the girl didn't mess with you" She'd been unusually cruel for someone so young, it was actually concerning. They were going to have to deal with her again too.

Me: So Ginzo was being a caring dad~ Even though he doesn't have to be~

Hope you enjoyed~

What is one good thing Covid has done for you? It doesn't have to be big, it can be a small thing.

I learned that I'm great at cutting my hair XD I just chop off my pony tail a little longer than I want it, then clean it up a tiny bit.

I don't recommend trying this though, I have curly hair and usually have it in a pony tail so it's safe if I do mess up one day, Especially if you have straight hair