107. Condition, Reunion

1029 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written June 22 2021
Posted July 17 2021

Ginzo suddenly felt ill "What does that mean?!" It couldn't mean that- No it just couldn't. He was probably coming to the wrong conclusion. That was it.

The doctor eyed the inspector with something akin to pity, it was very easy to tell that Ginzo really cared for the boy "Well" He cleared his throat "Kaito-kun is paralyzed from the waist down" It was a damning diagnosis, especially for a child so young.

Aoko covered her mouth in shock, horrified "Oh no..." That was just, too cruel. Ginzo was silent.

"However" Dr. Kalos quickly continued before Ginzo could interrupt him "For some reason, there are already signs of his spinal cord trying to heal" It was impossible, but it was happening. Dr. Kalos couldn't help but be astounded by his findings. He locked his own gaze with Ginzo's "I believe that with a lot of work, it may be possible to one day restore his mobility if his body continues to try to fix itself"

Ginzo's back straightened, was this the effect of Pandora? "So Kaito will be able to walk again?" He wanted to believe it so much.

"Possibly" It wasn't a guarantee, those could lead to lawsuits. Dr. Kalos ran a hand through his hair "It would take years and countless small surgeries, some of which could possibly regress his healing if done wrong" The boy was a medical anomaly. The doctor glanced at Kaito's unconscious form "There's never been a case like his so it would be all trial and error, something that I'm not sure if insurance would be able to cover enough of" He stated.

The inspector's heart fell, so Kaito would be paralyzed long enough for it to affect the way he'd have to live "Thank you, I'll talk with Kaito when he wakes up"

Aoko hugged her father "It's not your fault, Kaito would be dead without your help" Her dad was no doubt blaming himself. She went quiet for a few moments before continuing "Dad..." She pursed her lips "Kaito has nowhere to go now, right? If he goes to jail like that..." It wouldn't be good.

"I know..." The inspector's words were raspy "I know damn it..." His fists clenched with frustration "We'll think of something, Hakuba-san ought to have some plans by now" The officer had been mostly scarce after dropping him off, so the guy was probably doing something. He just didn't know what that something was.

Dr. Kalos cleared his throat, feeling awkward at witnessing the scene "Unlike last time, Kaito-kun can't be considered a flight risk..." For very obvious reasons "So he shouldn't remain unconscious for too long since he doesn't require sedatives to deal with the pain" With that he stepped out before he could get caught up in any more sappy conversations. The doctor was curious about why Kaito may end up in jail, but he wouldn't butt in. He was being paid to mind his own business after all. The Hakubas paid very very well, he'd be a fool to risk losing his job out of simple curiosity.

Aoko turned her attention towards Kaito, a little excited to properly meet the one who'd saved her father "I want to help him"

Ginzo smiled, ruffling his daughter's hair "We will help him, somehow" Both father and daughter jolted when a woman suddenly burst into the room. Though the inspector relaxed when he recognized the new arrival "You're a little late Mistressan" The woman looked quite dishevelled, she'd obviously been in a rush.

Misty's face became sorrowful as she rushed over, slate glistening "I was in Osaka doing some tests..." Her voice broke "I was only contacted once I completed them" She gently ran her trembling fingers through Kaito's hair, messing it up into the way he normally had it.

Aoko eyed Misty curiously, a small blush tinting her cheeks. She was a lot more pretty than her father had let on!

The inspector nodded in understanding, it couldn't be helped that she hadn't been contacted right away "What sort of tests?"

With a small smile, Misty's finger's paused their movements "Seeing Kaito change so much, it inspired me to do better with my life" She'd just stuck to what she'd known, the thing that she'd been raised to do "I was doing the tests to complete high school" She'd been studying a lot "If I pass, I'll have the chance to apply for a collage or university"

"Amazing!" Aoko burst out, before blushing as she suddenly realized how loud she'd been.

Misty's gaze softened "Thank you Aoko-chan" Ginzo's daughter was adorable.

Aoko blinked "How do you know Aoko?"

"I doubt that Nakamori-san is the kind of person to let random little girls cling to him" Misty smiled, confused about why Ginzo's daughter was here. She glanced between Aoko and Kaito "The two of you look very similar, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were siblings" Both children had brown messy hair and bluish eyes.

Ginzo blinked, doing a double take "Huh, you're right" How had he not noticed? They didn't look like twins or anything, but it wouldn't be hard for a stranger to come to the conclusion of them possibly being related.

The young girl eyed Kaito with a strange intensity "... I've always wanted a little brother"

Confused, Ginzo gave Aoko a weird look "Kaito is older than you, he could never be your little brother"

Aoko puffed her cheeks "Kaito is tiny so the few extra months don't count, he would be the younger sibling"

Misty giggled, Aoko's childishness lightening her mood "That sounds about right, Kaito is both mentally too old and too young for his age" A result of his upbringing no doubt.

The conversation was confusing Ginzo a bit, so he just let them talk. He was glad that Misty had come, the woman was very important to Kaito and would help to explain everything once Kaito woke up. The two females talked for a bit, with Ginzo commenting off and on. This continued until Danashi came into the room, looking stressed but not horribly so.

"I've somehow managed to find a way out of this mess" Danashi breathed, it'd taken countless phone calls and more than a few favours being cashed in to get to this point.

Me: Kaito's fate of being paralyzed was sealed when I started this book ^-^ And there goes Aoko, admiring the mature looking Misty like she did Akako in the anime~

So excited~ But I can't just rush and skip to the main parts >^<

Comment? ^-^

°^° Bacon scented candles... I've never seen them before, but most people like the smell right? Wonder why it's not popular