84. Mermaid's Heart

1016 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written November 24 2020
Posted December 19 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on January 2 2021

^-^ ... Are you nervous?

Kid curiously peered through the vents, the Mermaid's heart within sight. He'd already sent the task force on a merry chase, using well timed flashes of white cloth around select corners. To everyone besides himself, the gem had already been stolen. Technically, the thief couldn't even see the gem, but unlike the rest of them, he knew it was still in it's display. Setting up the illusion of an empty display case had been easy thanks to some special mirrors he'd made. He called them mirrors, but they were actually more like glass, one could see through the sides, but the gem had been refracted out of visible existence. Well, the setup had been easy, but acquiring the right materials was a different story.

Since there was no longer anybody guarding the room, the thief silently slipped from the vents, landing next to the display case with practised ease. He'd already deactivated the sensors during the setup, so snatching up both the case glass and gem was an easy task. The case folded neatly like a cardboard box would. It had been hard to make, so he wasn't going to abandon it. Not to mention leaving it behind could ruin the mystery. He might want to use the trick again one day.

With the main objective complete, it was now time to leave. The task force could only be fooled by teasing glimpses of his cape for so long after all. It was best not to take unnecessary risks. Kid left the museum as silently as he arrived, once he felt he was a safe distance away, hidden in the luxurious garden at it's back, he took out the gem.

He might as well check now and save himself the trip returning it "Oi! You're Kaitou Kid!" The thief's eyes widened, why was a gardener here? It was nighttime. The way the middle aged male was dressed made it so he couldn't possibly be one of the guards. He was covered in dirt and had some gardening tools poking out of his pockets.

Kid grinned, face veiled by the shadows of nearby trees "I'll make sure not to bother you too much" He uncurled his fingers, allowing the moonlight to wash over the gem.

The gardener swore "I won't let you steal from this nice place!" The man tackled him, just as a blue light filled the area.

Now blinded, the thief prioritized his escape over retrieving the gem that he'd foolishly let go of. He hadn't expected the gardener to attack him, usually the extra staff liked him. His escape was easy, all that was needed was for him to scramble away, the guy hadn't even tried to cling to him for some reason.

Kid blinked, and kept blinking in an attempt to clear his vision. It worked "F-!" Veiled indigo widened with fear, a scream catching in his throat. The gardener writhing on the ground, clawing at his own throat, mouth wide as he seemed to struggle to breathe. Kaito was frozen, petrified, the man's legs had been replaced by a brown scaly tail. He wanted to help, the man was clearly suffering, but his limbs just wouldn't move.

"Kid!" Kaito whirled around, the movement choppy, stilted.

"Keibu" Kaito sank to his knees, trembling "Help him?" He pointed a shaky finger where he knew the gardener was without looking at said person.

Ginzo swore, the fuck?! He'd been drawn in by the light, expecting to see a flashy trick, not a person who looked like he was half fish! The gasping and wheezing noises shook the inspector out of his shock "Shit" He ran over, cursing again when he spotted gills on the guy's neck, the guy was suffocating, maybe?

Since Kaito wasn't in immediate danger, he focused his attention on the man. He'd passed a pond not too far away, but he was too small to carry the guy, he doubted Kaito could, even with his extended limbs. The phobia was too fresh for that. He needed to use the temporary antidote. Ginzo easily retrieved it from his pocket, but paused a moment before popping it in his mouth then Kaito let out an extra fearful gasp. The inspector followed the other's gaze just in time to see the guy melt, leaving nothing behind but a pile of bubbles and the gem.

Shocked, Ginzo pocked the pill before slowly making his way over towards Kaito "We need to go" If the light attracted himself, then it was sure to bring in others. He had no idea what had just happened, but there wasn't time to look into it too deeply just yet.

Indigo blinked, focusing in on the inspector. Ginzo was here, it would be okay "'Kay" He felt a bit numb, but was that from fear, or watching someone die? They had died right? Kaito's eyes burned "Magical gems are real" Now he couldn't possibly give up on Pandora, what if the wrong person got a hold of it? This wasn't a silly story, it could actually exist!

"Yes" The inspector began to gently push the other deeper into the shadows, to safety "Shocking, but we really need to go" God, that was a terrifying thought. What if the gem had affected Kaito instead of that man?

Kaito suddenly stopped "Wait" A shiver ran down his spine "We can't leave the gem" It was dangerous.

Ginzo scowled "You're not touching it!" He tightened his grip on the other's arm. He would not let whatever that was happen to Kaito.

"But" Kaito bit his lip "Maybe my gloves kept me safe" The gem hadn't touched his skin.

"I still don't want to risk it" Ginzo shook his head "You can fetch it later during the day" The gem was small, and it wasn't likely for it to be found in the grass.

"I sensed a strong power, judging by your conversation, it was that gem" Both males froze at the unknown voice. They turned around to see a young girl holding the gem. Her red hair and eyes made her seem like the kind of person who was hard to forget.

Fearful, Kaito yanked himself out of Ginzo's hold "That's dangerous!"

Me: So that could have happened to Kaito! Lucky it didn't~

Finally, been wanting to write this chapter for so long~Since chappy 20~

It's not just a cameo, but something important to boost the story along~

Hope you enjoyed~

When I buy things online, I usually have a ruler or something beside me to double check XP especially when eBay and Amazon are involved

•~• Should I add the tag 'depressed Kaito' to this story on Ao3? He's not always depressed, but he has had bouts of depression in this.

I'm really bad at emotions so I'm unsure if it'd make people angry if I add the tag and I'm wrong... 0.0