11. Shocking Confession

1007 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own MK/DC~

Written September 14 2019
Posted October 31 2019

Happy Halloween~

This Story was chosen for holiday update due to it having the least parts posted~

When Ginzo returned from the river, feeling surprisingly refreshed he spotted Kaito crouched down in front of the pot. The pot was held over a fire by  a metal grate, he also spotted a few newly refilled water bottles beside the boy "Isn't it going to take hours to boil all of that water?" He stated, looking up at the sky, it was starting to get truly dark.

"I'm more of a night owl" Kaito smirked "I'm normally asleep during the day" He replied. It made heists easier and if he slept throughout day, then he didn't see as many people to be jealous of. He didn't like feeling jealous but sometimes he just couldn't help but envy the 'normal' people he always saw. They had a life, Kaito didn't.

"You should fix your sleeping schedule" Ginzo huffed, not approving in the least. Kids were brought inside at night for a reason. It was more dangerous at night.

Kaito blinked "It's not like I have anything to do during the day, so why would I change it?" He frowned, crossing his arms "I can't move around as freely during the day as well" He didn't like risking being spotted and remembered by someone. An unaccounted for child would raise questions and his disguise supplies weren't endless. They were expensive.

The inspector sat down near the fire "Couldn't you have faked partial amnesia or something? You could have easily joined society by being adopted by someone" Surely a random kid being found wouldn't spark the syndicate's radar? Ginzo was pretty sure that the syndicate had to at least think Kid was an adult, so a random child should be safe.

Kaito shook his head "Then I'd be trapped into a normal life and I wouldn't be able to be Kid anymore" He needed Kid, it was the only thing he dared to take from his old life before coming here. Without it, he'd lose his last connection to his parents. He'd already burned everything else to cover their tracks.

"Why are you acting as Kid?" Ginzo asked, he'd always wondered. It obviously wasn't for fame or riches. Plus Kaito could probably live a normal life if he just gave up Kid.

Kaito pursed his lips "Would you believe me if it started out as revenge?" He breathed "At first I wanted to get back at them, to hurt them for taking away my parents" Kaito stated softly. He'd been in too much pain then to really think things through, all he'd been really thinking about at the time was his hurt.

"That changed though" Ginzo breathed, a little shocked. He'd never would have imagined that an ugly thing such as revenge had once been behind Kid's act. Kaito really had an impressive poker face when it was required of him "Your actions don't seem like those of someone out for revenge" Kid wouldn't have tried to save nightmare if he'd been nothing but a vengeful phantom.

"Yeah" He breathed "Eventually the pain softened and I switched my motives" Indigos burned but Kaito refused to let his tears fall. He had to be stronger than that "I don't want them to take away anybody else's parents" Losing a parent was painful, he wanted to do his best to prevent others from feeling that pain "I will not stop until I die, or bring them down" Kaito finished.

"You helped me because of Aoko" Ginzo breathed, he'd almost been one of those deaths the other had alluded to. No wonder Kid had been so protective of him in the past, Aoko was the same age as him.

"No, not really" Kaito murmured, turning his head away "I helped you because you were in danger" His voice lowered "And because you're my favourite" The last bit was almost inaudible to Ginzo, but he'd managed to hear it. Kaito's ears burned in embarrassment, he really admired Ginzo and the other was sort of like his idol. Not that he'd really admit it.

Ginzo scoffed "I swore at and insulted you all the time!" There was no way he was Kaito's favourite.

"That's only because you were frustrated!" Kaito forcibly pushed away his embarrassment, a little shocked to know that Ginzo didn't think he liked him that much "Your passion and enthusiasm to do your job is a really admirable trait!" Kaito argued "And you're trustworthy enough to return priceless gems back to their owner without even thinking about keeping one and blaming me!" He wrung his hands together, avoiding eye contact "You also have unconditional faith in my character. There's no way that you're not my favourite" He finished. It had warmed Kaito's heart the first time Ginzo had tried to protect him from being accused as a murderer. The inspector hadn't even doubted him for a second!

Ginzo gaped in shock at the outright confession of admiration. Sure the other had protected his job, but he'd never thought that Kaitou Kid of all people admired him. Hell, people often made fun of him and called his job a joke. But to think that Kid of all people admired him was quite humbling "You really think that?" He asked, a little awed. It wasn't everyday an international criminal declared their admiration for him. Usually the criminals were cursing him out.

Kaito silently nodded, suddenly seeming to be more focused on the boiling water than before. Ginzo smirked, Kaito really was an odd little kid, getting all embarrassed. Usually people got embarrassed about those kind of things once they got older. He figured that his oddness was from being forced to grow up quicker in some ways more than others "I guess I should work better at being a better example for you" Ginzo stated before heading off towards the creepy house. He'll give the boy some time to get over his embarrassment. He didn't want to figure out if Kaito was the kind of person to lash out when embarrassed. He didn't think so, but wanted to be careful just in case. He didn't want to mess with their current peace, conflict wouldn't help them.

Me: It's the one day of the year where your parents encourage their kids to take candy from strangers~~~

and embarrassed Kaito is cute~

Hope you enjoyed~ This extra update~