48. Condition

1015 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written February 15 2020
Posted March 30 2020

The inspector froze, he hadn't noticed that Kaito's eye had been that injured "His eye didn't look too bad when I checked..." How could he have missed such an injury?

"He was probably unconscious the whole time you had him right?" At Ginzo's nod Danashi continued "Shards of glass, probably from his monocle were embedded into his eye" He gave the other's shoulder a reassuring squeeze "Dr. Kalos had said that if not for the infection, the damage would have at the very least blinded Kaito" His gaze softened sympathetically at how Ginzo grit his teeth "From what I've learned about Kaito so far" He offered a small smile "I just know that he won't let the loss of an eye hold him back for long"

Ginzo nodded, eyes burning despite the reassurance "So he should wake up soon?" He inquired as they continued walking deeper into the room. There were three beds in sight, with a curtain cutting through the room. He swallowed, Kaito was probably in the last bed that was probably behind the curtain.

Danashi stopped him a moment before he reached the curtains "If he were allowed to, yes" At Ginzo's confusion he explained "I asked Dr. Kalos if it would be safe to keep him under for a few days at least. He said that it wouldn't cause Kaito any harm"

He scowled "Why the hell do you want to keep him unconscious?" His words were a low growl.

The superintendent wasn't fazed by the other's anger "To let him heal a bit, he can't feel the pain as much when he's unconscious" His gaze narrowed "You know how stubborn Kaito can be" Ginzo had often complained to him about it by phone "He might try to push himself too quickly in an attempt to seem better than he is"

Ginzo grimaced, he could actually see Kaito doing that "What else is wrong with him?" Keeping Kaito unconscious just for his eye seemed like a bit much.

"He's also recovering from mild hypothermia and blood loss" The main thing that saved the boy had probably been his Kid suit. It's fabric material was highly resistant to cold and retained warmth better than any other fabric that they knew of. Kaito would have long since died without the suit.

Ginzo nodded, that wasn't unexpected considering how he'd found Kaito "And?" He glanced at the curtain, it was tempting to just slip past it.

"An unknown chemical was circulating his bloodstream, so Dr . Kalos flushed it out as he administered fresh blood" Danashi pursed his lips "It didn't register as dangerous, but he did some tests and found out that it affected Kaito's growth hormone production" He glanced at Ginzo "Do you know if he's been in contact with anything strange?"

The inspector was silent for a few moments before remembering the occasional complaint that Kaito had whenever he spent too long in his lab "He told me that there's some weird fumes or air in his lab" He wanted to hit himself for not pursuing the subject further "It makes him feel sick if he's down there for too long"

Danashi nodded "That should be investigated later" He let out a breath "He should start growing properly now that his bloodstream is clear. Dr. Kalos is currently producing the X-Rays to check for both injuries and bone age"

So Kaito won't stay really tiny, that was good. If the boy grew more. he'd in turn become stronger physically and be able to defend himself better "That's at least some good news for Kaito" Kaito had been quite defensive about his height when he'd realized just how tiny the boy actually was. Especially since it was obvious that he was short when one thought about how he was a thirteen year old that was only a few inches taller than a seven year old.

"I hadn't really seen him properly before until now" Danashi admitted, it had been shocking once he'd actually had time to think about it "I understand now how protective you are of him"

Ginzo blushed a bit "Of course I am, he's a child" A stupid, little annoying child who'd managed to worm his way into his heart. He didn't know what he'd do if Kaito got himself killed.

"You love him" Danashi's eyes softened.

He crossed his arms across his chest "It's hard not to" Ginzo huffed. Kaito did everything in his power to make sure that he was doing okay, not to mention that the boy was actually fun to be around. It was hard not to grow more and more attached to him as time went on. He just wanted to bundle up the little shit in a safety bubble. The idiot needed someone to make sure that he didn't die.

"He's a good kid" Danashi moved the curtain to the side a bit to let Ginzo through. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen when these Crows did eventually go down. Would Ginzo actually let Kaito turn himself in? The man seemed to adore Kaito "Remember, he won't wake up today"

Ginzo sucked in a breath, immediately rushing to Kaito's side. The boy had both an IV and blood bag connected to him, the red bag making Kaito's pale skin stand out so much more. There were various other machines connected to him as well "I should have found him sooner..." He breathed, gently taking hold of Kaito's hand. Had Kaito been conscious for any length of time before being found? He hoped not.

"You found him in time, and that's what matters" Danashi replied. The scars that littered the boy's body were horrifying, but the other didn't even blink at them "At least this time he won't be alone in his recovery" So many bullet wounds, laceration scars, and burns. Just how the hell could the boy stand to even smile? Hopefully his newest injuries wouldn't be a tipping point.

"Of course" He wouldn't leave Kaito, doing it the other day had been bad enough. His eyes burned as he thought about how many times Kaito had healed all alone in that horrible house in the woods.

Me: Now you know why Kaito was such a tiny little thing~ He was in the lab often, so his growth wasn't good.

This was fun to write~ Hope you enjoyed~