18. Eating Apples and Chatting

1005 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

~Yay this book is 50 pages~

Written September 20 2019
Posted November 5 2019

Ginzo let out a tired sigh as he leaned against a sturdy oak tree, he could now understand why Kaitou Kid seemed to have unlimited stamina during heists. The way he lived was bound to build one's endurance. He squinted at the sparse amount of vegetation that he'd managed to forage. He knew some of the berries, but a lot of them were unknown to him. He'd ask Kaito when the boy returned from wherever he had went. The boy probably knew more about forest vegetation than he did, especially since it seems like Kaito has been living here for a good while. Surviving being poisoned by a criminal syndicate only to die from eating poisonous berries seemed a like a pathetic way to go.

"I hope that you didn't eat any berries" The inspector managed to not jump at the sound of Kaito's voice. He glanced to the side to see the boy.  He looked no worse for wear than when he'd left, though he did seem to be favouring his left leg a bit.

"No, I didn't recognise some of them and didn't want to get poisoned again" Kaito nodded, walking over towards him, he had a faint limp "What happened?" Ginzo inquired, motioning towards Kaito's leg as the boy sat beside him.

Kaito covered a yawn with his hand before replying "Did a little too much last night" He flashed a cheery grin "Don't worry I'm not injured, just a little sore" He was actually very sore, but the inspector didn't really need to know that. He also didn't really see a point in hiding his soreness because that would only make it worse if he forced himself to walk normally. It was better to just admit it to Ginzo so that the inspector wouldn't push as much. If he'd tried to hide it but failed, Ginzo's concerns would be bigger, so he'd end up pushing for more details.

Ginzo let out a breath "I'm also sore, how the hell did you do all that stuff on your own on top of planning heists?" He wasn't used to walking on the uneven ground of a forest. That, and he was using different muscles throughout the day than he was used to.

Kaito tossed him some packaged dry meat and handed him a bag full of apples "The soreness fades once you get used to it. I don't do those favours very often so sadly that won't work for me" A apple suddenly appeared in his hand "The meat will last a good while so you can save it for your bread" He supplied before taking a bite out of the apple. It was nice and sweet, it'd been a while since he'd last had one. He then began picking out some berries from Ginzo's stash and began tossing them away "Those ones are poisonous" He stated after swallowing.

The inspector nodded, taking note of the berries that Kaito had left . He'd make sure to look out for those ones next time "How often did you usually do those tasks?" Ginzo inquired, a little curious.

Kaito nibbled a bit on his apple before replying "Maybe once or twice a month, though sometimes more whenever there's an influx of heist targets appearing" He shrugged "Sometimes I even get by with going only once every two months"

Ginzo frowned "But you mentioned that you would go a few times this week"

Kaito nodded "Yeah, I'm thinking that if I go every night for a week or to, we'd have enough money to let you live more normally for a good while if the earnings are spent right" He replied, stifling another yawn. He didn't really care about living in comfort but the inspector did. It was the least he could do for him since Ginzo had actually decided to stay with him.

"How much money did you even make last night?" He asked, both curious and worried. It was often hard to make good money.

Kaito smiled "A little over twenty thousand yen"

Ginzo coughed, almost choking on his food. He looked at Kaito in shock "What the hell did you do?!" He hissed, that was a lot of money for supposedly doing stuff that wasn't too illegal.

The boy grinned "I just have a way with people" His grin turned into a smirk "I notified them that I'd be returning for the next week or two so I'll probably make more money tonight and the next nights" His presence hadn't been expected so there had been less people who'd required his talents.

Ginzo gawked "If you can make money so easily, why do you live here?" The inspector didn't really understand why Kaito had chosen to live how he was. He could probably afford the materials to make at least the inside more hospitable.

The boy gave a small grimace "I don't like my method of making money, I usually only do it when I have to" He grabbed another apple from somewhere "Heists cost me a lot of money since I don't actually keep anything" He shrugged "So I prioritise that over comfort" There was no need for him to make this place too comfortable. He might have to suddenly abandon it one day. It'd been hard enough burning his old home, he didn't need any attachments to this one.

The inspector didn't really like the idea of Kaito doing something he was uncomfortable doing just for the sake of his own comfort. What the hell would Kaito even be uncomfortable doing? He knew killing was obvious, but he seriously doubted that killing people was Kaito's mystery money making job "Yesterday's food was fine, you don't have to do whatever you're doing just for my sake"

Kaito shook his head "No, I also need to get a lot more substances to continue further on making your cure" Chemicals were expensive if he wanted to guarantee their quality. There was no way that he was going to use potentially dubious chemicals within the cure. He had to make sure that he knew their exact chemical structures.

Me: This was really fun to write~

Hope you enjoyed~

Berry likes pineapple on pizza ^~^ And also pickles... but not on pizza =~= pickle on pizza I've never had before...

Hmm... should berry risk ruining a pizza?... nah, berry too cheap

Info to ease some concerns is below~

Doing physical activities that one isn't used to can make the next day painful XP

When berry switched from long jump/100m run to hurdles in track and field the different movements left her in pain (until she got used to it) the next day

Berry didn't suddenly become unfit, it was just different movements than before

Thus Kaito is sore since he did activities that he wasn't used to, plus he hasn't had a heist in a while~