19. Dim Thoughts

1015 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own MK/DC~

Written September 20 2019
Posted December 12 2019

Ginzo frowned "Is making the cure complicated?" He didn't really know much about science related stuff.

"Yeah, whoever made that poison is a genius" Kaito breathed "I've never seen chemical sequences that complex before, it's actually very difficult to work with" It was also kinda scary that the Crows had someone that intelligent on their side. He only hoped that there were only a few with that level of intelligence working for them. He preferred dealing with the dumber Crows.

The inspector blinked "You've already isolated the poison?!" He had heard that isolating new toxins could be quite difficult and had the potential to take up a lot of time.

Kaito smirked, looking very proud "I studied and familiarised myself with both biochemistry and chemicals" It had taken him forever to get to his skill level, but that was besides the point "And since I was already familiar with your DNA sequence, it was a more easy than it would have been if I hadn't known it" Being a borderline creepy stalker had turned out to be very useful so far it seems.

"So do you have any time estimates for when the cure is complete?" The inspector inquired, a little excited at the prospect of being the right age again.

The boy shrugged "Not really, it's too complex to give you any sort of estimate" He paused giving Ginzo a curious look "Do I have to remind you that you'd still have to stay hidden even after you get cured?" He stated "Not much would change for your situation until the Crows are taken down"

Ginzo nodded, he'd figured that. But if he was in his own body, he would have more control over his situation and could maybe force Kaito to take better care of himself "It would still be nice to be in my own body" He breathed.

Kaito tossed his two apple cores somewhere deeper within the forest. He'd let the animals have the rest of them and what wasn't eaten would just degrade naturally "True, though if I were in your situation there wouldn't be that much of a change" He snickered, he'd just have to lengthen his fake limbs for when he went out as Kid. It would be both an easy, and simple fix.

"So what should be done for the rest of the day?" Ginzo inquired, not really sure what to do next.

"We can collect more water, though this time it'll be distilled through special filters instead of boiling" At Ginzo's unimpressed look he explained "The water is not for drinking, its for my lab and distilling the water gives it an awful taste and makes you feel more thirsty than before"

The inspector blinked "What kind of distillers are you using?!" He was pretty sure distillers didn't do that to water. It only made water taste strange or different to some people depending on their tastes.

Kaito let out a sheepish chuckle "It's actually the air in the lab that does that" He shrugged "I can't move the distiller so I just boil any drinking water" He'd had an acquaintance install it for him, but that person had died a while ago. Kaito wasn't strong enough to move it and he also didn't want anybody else in his lab, so the distiller had to stay where it was.

"That doesn't sound very safe..." Ginzo muttered. Just what the hell was in the air that it did that to the water?!

"It's fine if I limit myself to less than twelve hours a day down there, after that I start to feel sick" He replied, it was another reason why he didn't stay in the lab during the winter. "I don't really know why the air does that but it's safe" Or at least as safe as it can be. Any long term effects weren't really that much of a concern to him. He'd probably won't even live long enough for them to be relevant. Ginzo on the other hand hopefully would, which is why the inspector wasn't allowed in the lab.

Ginzo grit his teeth "That makes it even worse?! It may not be really affecting you now, but what about in the future?!" He growled. Air that made someone feel sick if they're exposed to it for too long obviously wasn't very safe! What the hell is he even thinking actually spending hours in there?!

Kaito gave the inspector a blank look "What future?" He breathed "My future consists of either death or jail" A dark smile spread across his lips "I'm pretty sure that I don't need to consider any future effects the air may have on me "You're concern is appreciated, but it's also not needed" There was no point in worrying or planning his future for after the Crows are gone. It made things a lot simpler in that regard. He could neglect himself to his heart's content and not need to worry about how a poorly healed injury will affect him when he's older.

The way Kaito was talking about himself made Ginzo want to grab the boy and try to shake some sense into him. He didn't of course, being both too small and cautions. He didn't want to make Kaito bolt and manhandling the boy just might do that "If you explained everything, I'm sure that you won't get a life sentence" He argued weakly, surely the courts would show some mercy on Kaito right? He was non-violent and he never actually stole anything.

Kaito scowled "I never had a life and I never will" Even if he was given a shorter sentence, he'd still be isolated from the world. By that time he would have missed way too many things to make attempting to live a proper life worth it. Once the crows were gone, he wasn't going to do anything illegal ever again. That meant he'd have no money, no connections, and no freedom of not being registered. The way he was currently living was illegal, so he'd be forced onto the streets. He didn't want to beg and without schooling papers he couldn't get a job.

Me: Poor Kaito has a bad outlook of his future

Rats can be jerks •^• I wasn't paying attention so my one rat yanked off my bandaid

Bandaid was due to me hitting metal with my foot, shredding skin due to me running (berry hates walking) and cat suddenly getting in my way, berry dodged into metal not wanting to hit cat with current momentum...

=~= pets suck sometimes...