95. Lots of Unease

1010 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written March 8 2021
Posted April 3 2021

A small giggle escaped from Kaito, Ginzo's genuine confusion was comforting "The bite startled me more than it'd hurt" Kaito confessed, it still felt weird to look at his hand and only see 4 fingers.

Ginzo inwardly relaxed at the other's expression, acting on his confusion rather than his worry had been a good choice. It upset him that Kaito had received yet another permanent injury under his care. Yet just like with last time, the boy didn't seem too upset by the loss "I guess losing a finger is better than losing your life" He replied lamely, not really knowing what else to say.

Kaito nodded, amusement fading "Yeah, I'll just adapt my tricks to compensate"

The inspector eyed Kaito curiously before bracing himself for the next subject "Kaito, I know that you probably don't want to talk about it, but I really want to know what you meant about not wanting to die anymore" The boy had calmed down enough so he wanted to broach the subject now.

"Oh" Kaito couldn't help the grimace that crossed over his face. His hands played together nervously as he broke eye contact "I didn't mean to say that" He really hadn't, it had surprised him that he'd even said such a thing. The boy pursed his lips "I guess I never consciously wished to die" But... Guilt washed over him for even having such thoughts "I never realized it until I didn't want to die anymore" Kaito admitted softly with a small shrug.

Ginzo nodded in understanding, heart breaking as he pulled Kaito into a hug "I'm glad that you never realized it" His voice was scratchy as he forced himself not to cry. Death could have been viewed as such an easy solution to Kaito's problems if the boy had consciously wished for it. He was so fucking glad that the boy's sense of self guilt had prevented him from trying to evade his problems. Instead, the boy had sought punishment by carrying on.

Kaito allowed himself to enjoy the hug, it was okay for him to be happy with the closeness. It was really nice, Ginzo gave great hugs "I'm glad too" He would have missed out on so much if he'd died "Do you really think that things could turn out okay?" His voice was small, hopeful.

"I do" The inspector assured, believing the words himself "There might be a few problems, but it should turn out okay" Not perfect, probably not even good, but he believed that things will at the very least, be okay.

"Okay" Indigos closed as the boy took in a deep breath before opening them "Then I'll try to believe that too" Even if it did turn out to be nothing more than falsely placed hope, at least he would have been able to enjoy the time he'd spent believing. He'd give in and allow himself to be a bit selfish like Ginzo wanted him to be, because he really really liked being happy.

Ginzo couldn't help the grin that spread across his face, he was so proud of Kaito. The boy was just so strong even when he was weak "After tonight's heist, can you take a break for a few days?"

Kaito blinked, reluctantly pulling himself out of the hug "There was a heist notice?"

The inspector's smile fell "A fake one it seems" That meant that it could be the Crows.

"I guess that it's about time for me to do another proper heist anyways" Kaito sighed, the last heist had been terrifying "Do you know what gem is being targeted?" Knowing would at least make things a little more easier.

"I think it's called the Moon's Wish" The name was very fitting for something that Kaitou Kid would steal. Ginzo blinked at the sudden sour expression on the other's face "What's wrong"

Indigos narrowed "I don't want to go anywhere near that thing" A small shiver ran through his frame at the thought "I passed over it since it felt really dangerous" More dangerous than anything that he'd ever felt before. He blinked a few times, resisting the sudden instinctive urge to crawl into a corner and cry "I don't know if I'll even be able to get near it" Without freaking out that is. Even Akako had seemed wary of the gem, she hadn't even pushed him for an explanation on why he had skipped it.

"Fuck" The swear was automatic as it passed through his lips "You have to steal it" The words felt like poison as he spoke them "If it's really as dangerous as you say, you can't let them have it"

"I know" Kaito's words were watery.

"You're crying..." Double fuck, he didn't want Kaito to do the heist "If it's making you react like that, then it might be Pandora" It was a very extreme reaction from just thinking about it, and wouldn't a gem like Pandora be considered extremely dangerous?

A small sob was the answer he got in response.

Shit, this was another strike on his opinion about magic. He captured Kaito to give him a comforting hug "I'll help you get it" It wasn't like they had much of a choice, Kaito would need the emotional support "Maybe you can get Akako to block your magic abilities just for tonight?"

Kaito shivered, clutching onto the other. He really hated how the magic was making him feel "I hope" Speaking was hard.

Ginzo rubbed Kaito's back to comfort him "It will be okay, I believe in you" Fuck magic, but if the witch could possibly help Kaito, then he'd readily accept her help just this once.

"Thanks" As much as he wanted to keep the inspector away from such a risky heist, he knew that he'd need help this time. There was no way that he was going to go there to do some preparation for some fancy tricks, he was just going to go in and out this time. The danger he was feeling from the gem's magic levels was just too much. Kaito wasn't even going to even try to find the Crows tonight.

Me: Magic can be annoying... And it was going so well too...

Hope you enjoyed~

Have you ever abandoned stories before? 0.0... I have~

>^> I have no plans to do so, so don't worry... XD it was just a question, not a warning