39. Anger, Realization

1007 Words excluding (A/N)~  I don't own MK/DC~

Written December 30 2019
Posted March 6 2020

Extra chappy because I am excited after writing chappy 51 today~

The first thing that he noted when consciousness returned was that he was tired, he felt as if he'd just finished running a marathon. Ginzo then realized that he was laying on the ground, but with all of their collective blankets surrounding him "Bastard" He glanced over to see Kaito crouched down next to him. Red rimmed indigos were glaring angrily at him through unshed tears. Guilt pooled within the inspector, he'd obviously scared the other more than he'd thought he would.

"Sorry" He blinked, his own voice sounding both familiar and different to himself. Ginzo quickly sat up, eyes wide as he took in himself, he wasn't a child anymore! He couldn't help the wide grin from spreading across his face. The temporary cure had worked!

Kaito scowled, still pissed that the other had done something so stupid and dangerous. What if he'd died?! He wiped his face a bit before speaking "You shouldn't have taken the pill" He scolded, sure he had made a few of them, but Ginzo hadn't known that. He also needed to tweak a few things in the formula before handing the other another pill. He did not want to go through that ever again. He'd honestly thought that Ginzo had been dying for a few moments.

Ginzo grimaced, it was odd to have Kaito's anger directed towards him "I figured that you'd spend most of your time worrying about it killing me until it was used" He gave a small shrug, having enough sense to at least feel guilty "I figured that if was going to kill me, it was better than having you worry over the inevitable"

Kaito made an angry sound in the back of his throat, grabbing Ginzo's shirt. He'd changed the other's clothes into ones that belonged to his Kite persona since a child's clothes weren't an option "So you're saying that if the end was death, you might as well accept it?" He snarled, knuckles going white. His tone lowered "That's the exact opposite of what you've been spewing all these months!" Kaito's own potential futures were either death and prison, at least in his own opinion.

The inspector's eyes widened, realizing his mistake "Fuck" He grimaced "You're right" He hadn't really thought about it from Kaito's perspective.

Indigos gleamed "Of course I'm right!" He huffed, releasing Ginzo before standing up.

Ginzo followed suit, though it startled him to realize just how small Kaito was. Before the pill, Kaito had been a bit taller than him, which skewed his perception of the other. Any time he'd actually been out with him, Kaito had been disguised as Kite, hindering any height comparisons between the boy and others. Hell, Kaito was shorter than Aoko "Are you sure that you're 13?" It was hard to imagine that a 13 year old would barely reach his waist.

The boy's cheeks flushed, a small scowl on his lips as he crossed his arms across his chest "I turned 13 on June 21st" His gaze narrowed "The day you got poisoned" Indigos gleamed in defiance "I'll be taller when I'm older" Hopefully the proper meals would help him catch up to others his age. He'll grow, eventually.

The inspector raised a brow "So you pulled a heist on your birthday?"

Kaito nodded, still flushing "It's better than being alone" Indigos were directed away from the other.

Ginzo's heart hurt at that, hadn't the boy previously stated that the Kid task force was closer to him than most? Just how many of his heists had been duty, and how many had been because he didn't want to be lonely? Now that he was his own size, Kaito looked a lot more fragile than he had before. A single well placed hit from an adult could break his bones for God's sake!

Kaito frowned, reading the other's look "Don't pity me" He met Ginzo's gaze "You know that I'm stronger than I look" Just because the other had realized just how small he was, didn't mean that anything should change. So what if he was currently only a few inches taller than Ginzo was when he was 7. Bigger didn't always mean better.

"Sorry" Ginzo apologized "It's just a bit of a shock that I didn't realize how small you were" Kaito refrained from bristling since the other obviously meant no harm.

"My dad was tall" Kaito offered "So it's probably due to how poor my diet had been" And his sleeping habits, but he didn't really need to mention that as well "I still have a lot of time left to grow"

"True" Ginzo nodded in agreement "I've heard that boys can grow like a weed when they hit a growth spurt" Though in his opinion, Kaito may have missed a few, but the boy may become defensive if he mentioned that.

Indigos narrowed "Anyways" They needed to go back to talking about things more important than his height "I'm not giving you another pill from that batch" It wouldn't help the other escape, just make him harder to carry "The change caused too much strain on you body" Indigos softened "I'll try to make it less painful next time"

Ginzo blinked "I don't actually remember much after swallowing the pill" After that, everything is foggy.

Kaito pursed his lips "I think that's a good thing" He must have been in a lot of pain to have reacted how he had "Also, next time, change clothes first" He grimaced "Your clothes would have strangled you, or at the very least caused some damage if I hadn't changed them" Thank the Gods he'd had a lot of practice changing others as Kid.

The inspector grimaced, okay, maybe he should have thought out his actions a little better "I'll remember that" He breathed.

The boy nodded "Good" He headed towards the couch "Since I need to observe how long the cure lasts, I might as well read some more" His plans of heading back out for more tests were now gone, thankfully he hadn't been working on anything time sensitive.

Me: Yes this Kaito is very tiny~ It's not Ginzo's fault for not realizing, he was smaller than Kaito, but also younger.

Yes Kaito is defensive of his shortness XP

And there's a reason why this Kaito is so short...

Hope you enjoyed~