37. Bruises, Thoughts

1007 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own Mk/DC~

Written December 27 2019
Posted February 29 2020

When Kaito awoke the next day, he felt horrible. The bruises from the other night had settled in and throbbed painfully. He still couldn't really breathe all that well without any pain, so he was stuck with taking short breaths instead of normal ones. Really, he'd had worse before, but it had been so long since he'd actually been injured that it just felt worse. He really didn't want to leave the bed, that would require sitting up.

He lazed around for a good while before his bladder was telling him that he should probably get up. Stupid habits of using the washroom after waking up. With a lot of pain and silent hissing, he eventually managed to sit up and scoot off of the bed. The boy gingerly patted his chest, cringing at the contact. He'd never been shot in the chest before now. A bullet proof vest would definitely be a good item to collect before his next heist. Especially now that bullets would be more likely to fly his way, and he didn't like having bruised or cracked ribs.

Ginzo looked away from the stove when he heard Kaito's door open, wincing in sympathy at the way the boy was carrying himself. Half lidded indigos were glazed with pain, and there was a small grimace on Kaito's face. Bruises always were worse the day after "You doing okay?" He inquired.

Indigos blinked before clearing a bit "Yeah" Kaito breathed "I'll live" He replied before heading into the washroom.

The inspector turned back towards the french toast and bacon he'd been cooking, there wasn't really much that could be done for the other's pain besides a painkiller. Whether or not Kaito took one was another story though, the boy was stubborn.

By the time Kaito had finished in the washroom, the food was done "Did you take something?" Ginzo asked as the boy shuffled into his seat. He placed down Kaito's portion in front of him, raising a brow "I'm pretty sure that by now your whole chest is probably black, Nobody would blame you for taking a painkiller" Because most people take them to help with less serious injuries.

The boy gave a small smile, he liked being cared for "I took some" He hadn't been sure if he'd be able to move enough to look normal outside without some "I'm going to go out for some bruise cream, then return here" He couldn't work in his lab if he couldn't breathe right. Even without injuries, it was already a bit hard to breath in it since the air was thicker.

Ginzo grimaced, taking a seat with his own food "I'll help you apply it if you want" The boy's back was also quite bruised. The impact had really spread.

Kaito was silent in thought as he nibbled on a bit of bacon, after a few moments he nodded "Thanks, it'd hurt too much to do it myself" Since he wasn't bleeding, his pain threshold was more wimpy since the threat of death wasn't present. Death was a good motivator in making him suck up the pain to get things done. He glanced down at the food, giving Ginzo a small smile as he looked up "This is really good" He couldn't remember the last time he'd had warm bacon.

The inspector smirked at the complement "I figured that the extra protein would help in your healing" The fat and carbs would also help.

Indigos gleamed "Your daughter is going to be so shocked when you return" He was quite impressed with how much the other had improved.

"I've only been making simple dishes" Ginzo scoffed, though that in itself was better than before "I'd probably mess up if I tried to make anything too fancy"

Kaito shrugged "Getting the basics done is vital" He ate some more food, swallowing before continuing "Once you have that, the harder stuff won't seem as scary"

"I'll take your word for it" Ginzo breathed, collecting the used dishes. When he turned back around, Kaito was dressed in his Kuroba Kite disguise. His gaze narrowed "Don't do stupid things like that until you're not injured" Sure the boy may technically be able to do quick actions, but that didn't mean that it hadn't hurt him. Stupid boy shouldn't be showing off right now.

Kite smirked "I'll be good" He replied before heading out the door.

Ginzo just watched the door close before shaking his head in exasperation "That idiot should be more careful" He scowled, a small smile tugging at his lips. At least the boy had the energy to do silly things like that.

A few hours later had Kaito sprawled across the couch, a crime novel in hand. His bruises had been properly treated with some help. Now all he had to do was rest to allow himself to heal. Ginzo was sitting down, leaning against the couch with his own crime novel in hand. He'd already read all of Kaito's old ones, so he was thankful that Kaito had somehow gotten more from a library before the heist. The boy had a good taste in books, though he still never really gave a clear answer when questioned about why he read so many crime novels. Maybe Kaito was a police fan? It was odd enough that it may actually be true. It would explain why the boy often blushed whenever questioned.

The inspector fiddled with a page, suddenly realizing how relaxed he felt despite the situation. Here he was enjoying reading in the same room as an international jewel thief. The same thief that always used to make his blood pressure skyrocket at the mere mention of him. Was it odd that he was actually enjoying his life like this? His thoughts turned towards Aoko, he really hoped that she was doing okay, he missed her so much.

A small smile tugged at his lips as he thought about how his daughter would react to Kaito. He wasn't sure what would happen if the two ever met properly, but it was bound to be interesting. Ginzo was sure of that at least.

Me: They're so domestic~

Hope you enjoyed~

Whenever Berry writes a draft (or edits in the (A/N)), she is paranoid of accidentally posting it by dropping phone on face or fumbling if

=~= that would be awkward, and would be stressful as I race to remove chappy before it's read

I tried Tim Hortons chocolate timbit cereal today... so good... bought 8 boxes

Cereal is so healthy XD even the sugary stuff