77. Holiday Thoughts

1013 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written September 26 2020
Posted October 17 2020

Kaito eyed the Christmas decorations curiously as he moved through the streets, watching people move around carrying bags. Normally he just hid away for the last few weeks of December if he could, not wanting to look at what he could never have. Though he did usually get all of the task force members a gift to make up for all the trouble he causes them, that was it though.

Christmas was only in a few days, and he didn't know what he should get for both Ginzo and Misty. Kaito blinked, maybe he should get something for Danashi too? The guy had been surprisingly kind to him, oh his son had been kind and understanding too... Saguru's departure from Japan had made things less risky, not to mention that he'd just recently started using the guy's lab...

The boy frowned as he stared through some display windows to see a silly Santa decoration, the writing was in English and read as 'Marry Christmas' it was a silly mistake. It might work as a gag gift since Saguru was half English, but a gag gift didn't seem appropriate. Kaito tilted his head to the side, cupping his chin. Saguru wanted to be a great detective, and was rich, so he probably had all the basic items to practice with.

Indigo narrowed, he had liked Saguru, so he wanted to get him something good, something that could help him in the future... Something like... Lock picks! Kaito perked up, the skill could help save lives one day! He couldn't help a smile from spreading across his face, it was perfect! He'd make the tools and instruction manual himself, maybe even include locks of varied difficulty! Saguru hadn't been too opposed to spending time with the person 'Kaitou Kid', so it should be fine so long as he makes sure that he isn't trying to convert the other into a thief. Right?

Now for Danashi... Kaito grimaced, there wasn't much that he could give the superintendent that the guy couldn't get for himself. So a physical gift would be difficult, maybe he could secretly do some of the guy's cases? He was already skilled enough to do the paperwork and job properly, so it shouldn't cause any problems. As long as he also gave Danashi a summary so that he didn't get confused if asked about said cases. Yeah, he'd keep that idea for now.

With Misty, he had a few ideas of what the woman would like, but a lot of the clothing choices would probably upset Ginzo. Though that wouldn't really matter if he gave them their gifts separately. He'd recently accidentally made an amazing fabric that just felt like air when worn since it was so light and flowy, except that it wasn't see-through at all like some clothing that he'd seen before. Maybe if he could find out how to make it thicker, but still retain it's flowy qualities?... It'd take a fair amount of research, but if he ended up failing, he could just get her something nice to wear from her favourite adult store. He'd done her laundry many times before, so he knew what she'd like most.

Now all he had left to think about was Ginzo, who ironically felt like the hardest person to buy something for. Kaito let out a sigh, wiping away a thin layer of snow before sitting on a bench. Unlike last year, a Kaitou Kid themed gag gift didn't seem suitable, the situation was way too different than before. He knew what the best gift would be, but it wasn't feasible. It was too dangerous for the inspector to visit his daughter.

The boy clenched his fists, mittens preventing him from doing it properly. The inspector had done so much for him, but he honestly wasn't sure what he could do to convey just how grateful he was to him. A year ago, he was selling himself and living all alone in an empty, desolate, house. Now, he had a cozy place and was no longer thinking that he was alone. He felt safer than he'd ever felt before. He had people who cared about him.

Going crazy with heists in an attempt to get to the Crows would just stress Ginzo out, defeating the purpose. The end could no longer justify the means when it came towards his safety and the Crows, he had to value himself now, because if he didn't, the inspector would become upset.

"Oi, a kid like you shouldn't be sitting all alone at this time of night" Kaito blinked, lifting his head to see someone who looked like a slightly older version of himself. Would he look like that if he'd grown properly? He suddenly winced at being flicked on the forehead "I'm serious" The boy scolded, azure eyes narrowed "The holidays are dangerous because people often let their guard down"

Indigo glanced towards a clock, noting that it was getting late "You're the same age as me" He countered "I don't see your parents anywhere" He wasn't going to let himself be bossed around by this guy.

The boy paused for a moment "You're very short..." He stated, eyeing Kaito more closely "Anyways, they're in that store and know where I am" The boy retorted, pointing towards a high end jewellery store.

"Well I was going to head home anyways" Kaito replied lamely, getting up from the bench. He could continue thinking about possible gifts for the inspector back at the apartment. He took off in a light jog, not wanting the nosy kid to follow him. He allowed himself to get lost in thought after a bit since he knew the way back.

"I'm back" Kaito offered a smile as he removed his boots, leaving them on the mat for them to dry "I'm tired so I'm going to go sleep"

Ginzo looked up from the TV, nodding "Sleep well" If Kaito wanted to sleep earlier than usual, that was fine with him. Though, he looked at his watch, maybe he should sleep a bit early too since he wasn't really into the show he'd been watching.

Me: It's been wintery in the story for a while, and I figured that I couldn't skip writing their Christmas

It's not an omake/special like some people do, it's actual plot due to timeline and won't be stretched to overlap with Christmas.

...It actually bugs me a lot when there's a holiday special in the middle of the book that doesn't connect to the plot, I skip them by default since I want the book/update not a random special unrelated to the plot...

That's what oneshots are for... bleh... Hate getting my hopes up only for it to be unrelated

Hope you enjoyed~

What brightness do you use for your device? I almost always have my phone and games on lowest (unless there's sunlight)