47. Worry, Fear

1037 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written February 14 2020
Posted March 28 2020

Ginzo hid in the shadows near the road, Kaito was held closely to his chest, torn fabric wrapped hastily over Kaito's right eye. Hopefully his own body warmth would help him. The wet clothes felt gross now that they were partially warm. His eyes burned as he waited for Danashi, he'd called the superintendent for help since Kaito truly needed proper medical attention. Kaito's smaller frame was violently trembling, despite the unnatural warmth that exuded from the boy. The inspector grit his teeth, he wasn't stupid. He knew that Kaito had gotten ill from either the cold or his injuries, maybe even both.

The wait felt like hours, even though it had probably been less than 10 minutes since he'd called. He let out a breath, relief palpable when he spotted Danashi's car pull up. The windows were tinted since it was his personal car.

"Thank you" Ginzo breathed as he quickly slipped into the back seat, it would be easier to care for Kaito with the extra room. He could have probably dropped Kaito off at a hospital before hiding, but then there would have been too many questions. There would have been a lot of eyes on the boy after that.

"It's no problem" Danashi replied, brows knit in worry as he drove "I've called one of my family doctors in to one of our clinics" He stated "I told him that Kaito was a victim in an ongoing abuse case" That meant that the doctor wouldn't ask as many questions, nor would they be as suspicious.

The inspector wiped a bit of sweat off of Kaito's brow, his hand trembling a bit as he did so "Is he good?" He didn't want to risk Kaito's health with a bad doctor.

Danashi's eyes softened at the audible worry in Ginzo's voice "Dr.Kalos is one of our best doctors. He's been working for my family for years" He sped the car up a bit to narrowly dodge a red light "He'll be there before we arrive, or he'll arrive shortly after" It depended on the traffic.

Ginzo nodded silently, he wasn't in the mood to talk anymore. For the rest of the ride he gazed out the window, fingers running through the boy's hair in an attempt to soothe him. He wasn't sure if he was thankful for the other's unconsciousness or not.

When they arrived Ginzo gently handed Kaito over to Danashi, he didn't want to, but it was too dangerous for him to be spotted "Please take care of him" His voice broke a bit "I'll be back when I can" Which could be hours from now. He closed his eyes, clenching his teeth. He didn't want to leave Kaito.

"Kaito will be in good hands" The superintendent assured before turning away to run into the clinic.

Ginzo swallowed, eyes watery as he forced himself to walk away. The more distance he put between them the better, especially since he was supposedly dead in the eyes of the law. He glanced around, taking in his surroundings for the first time. Their shared hotel room was too far away to travel to right now, at least as himself. A small shiver ran through him, making him rub his arms in an attempt to warm up a bit. Hadn't Kaito pointed out a tiny safe house around here? It apparently wasn't large because most of his heists took place in Tokyo, but Kid did visit Osaka often enough to warrant a small place. He let out a breath, he'd stay there until it was safe for him to visit Kaito.

A long and filthy string of curses escaped from Ginzo's mouth as he glanced at the clock. It had taken almost a whole day for the stupid pill to wear off! The safe house hadn't had any windows, and he'd avoided looking at his watch after the first few hours. Watching the minutes go by little by little had been torture.

He quickly slipped into a dark grey hoodie and brown pants that obviously belonged to Kaito. They were somewhat big on his shrunken frame but they were smaller than the many adult sized clothing choices. Which meant that Kaito hadn't visited this place since he'd shrunk. Thankfully the food had been canned and not yet expired.

Danashi hadn't called him, but he wasn't going to wait any longer. He needed to check on Kaito. Ginzo quietly slipped out, making sure to lock it back up properly, knowing that Kaito would be upset to see it ransacked by thieves. It was nearing 9 at night so it was conveniently dark out. That meant that there would be less eyes around to spot him slipping into the clinic.

When he spotted Ginzo's tiny form cautiously peering around, Danashi felt pity for the guy. Dark circles surrounded the other's eyes, and Ginzo was actually trembling a bit "Ginga" He greeted softly.

Ginga flinched, head whipping around at the call of his alias "Hakuba-san..." He breathed, quickly running up to the taller man "How is he?" Kaito couldn't have died right? He hadn't called and no news was good news.

Danashi let out a weary breath before pursing his lips "Follow me into his room" There would be a lot more privacy there.

The inspector felt a bit of fear ice his veins as he followed Danashi, something must have happened. Danashi hadn't told him that Kaito was okay "Is he alive?" He had to know at least that.

"For now, yes" Ginga froze "But he's really weak due to infection and some fluid buildup in his lungs" He gave Ginga's shoulder a quick squeeze "Kaito's a strong boy"

Ginga blinked away a few tears as he nodded, Kaito was one of the strongest people that he knew. He wouldn't let something like this beat him "Has he woken up yet?"

Danashi shook his head "No, they only finished working on him a little while ago"

"Why" He furrowed his brows, he hadn't noticed that bad of an injury on Kaito.

The superintendent opened a door, slipping in before motioning for Ginga to do the same "Dr.Kalos tried to save his eye, but the infection would have spread too deep if it had stayed in any longer" He paused "It had to be removed to save his life"

Me: The situation with Dr.Kalos is different than the other time you've seen him in my books...

Yeah, bad infection was to be expected considering how he was found... Poor Ginzo had to leave Kaito

•~• It would have been too risky to try to save the eye while Kaito was already so weak. 

Hope you enjoyed~